Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 488

Mikson

14 hours ago, Mikson said:

If you want to play those pinch harmonics right, it's not easy. But rocksmith doesn't know the difference between pinch harmonics and regular notes, so when you play normally, it counts.

Yep, i really wanted to learn how to do these properly but i think i only did a good pinch harmonic 1 or 2 times, i guess it's time to learn it!

• Like 3

Just stopping in to say, Amorphis is fantastic and is very well represented with quality CDLC by @ albatross213  and others. This song is actually from their earlier catalog (90s) but IMO their music has continued to improve and some of my favorites from them are in their last few albums. 

My laptop died for good last week so I missed out on Week 487. After some wrangling with my Steam Deck I think I have RS working with CDLC again now so hopefully I'm back this week.

• Like 7

From testing

Not my style but good to play, easy technical, but quite fast.

20230224135513-1.jpg

I really like both Morrissey's solo songs and his earlier ones with The Smiths.

20230205131035-1.jpg

I liked the earlier Amorphis songs we played here better, but there's a nice chart here. Unfortunately, I have very bad chord recognition (which is not difficult), which spoils the final score a lot...

20230227205707-1.jpg

Yes, this is crazy. I rate this 8.5 (in the sheet was 8), because generally there is no very difficult solo in the song, which is often the case in masterclass songs. But the whole song is very fast and quite technical and if Bottledpat says this is 9 I don't even think to argue with it. 🙂 

20230225204822-1.jpg

• Like 5

For me the mc lead is a solid 9, maybe more (and I'd already played the song during one selection). I like the song.

I didn't understand pretty anything and I RR a lot the main riff, getting without errors at max 70% 😐

I don't know how a person could play it with such speed and precision, one of the most difficult this year without a big solo, but everything is so tight. Technique must be perfect

My hands were smoking at the end

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 5

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

It's exactly 8.75, which rounds out to 8.5. Not hard enough for a 9, needs more sweeps. 😉

But srsly, it's in my wheelhouse, so I can accept that my opinion might not be objective. On a bluegrass-banjo song with an 8 rating I'd probably get ~70% and rate it a 10. What I'm saying is objective rating is HARD.

Also, it gets a lot easier if you change the fingering to reduce shifting. The chart makes it look harder than it is. But then again it's a matter of personal preference, maybe someone likes the position changes. I don't know how they played it originally.

@ Bottledpat12 Y U NO post a score?

• Like 6

On 2/27/2023 at 10:52 AM, Rodman said:

We try to rate as little subjective as possible. The rating shall be based on the difficulty of the riffs and the tech notes. The rating shall reflect the objective difficulty of the song - meaning how hard is it to make the song sound as it should (not make RS register the notes).
The score (accuracy) does not help much rating intra-class for the songs rating shall be defined by the songs hardest part (because a player with that level shall be able to master that diff-level song), so a song with a shorter (9) solo and rather easy chordprogression in the other parts will yield in higher % than a technical song that is (8) through all parts. Also tech notes of course can make a song extremely difficult though RS will register also normally played notes - e.g. a Bass song that has pops through the song will be likely mc difficulty.
However for our current example i am very thankful for the discussion because it´s a perfect (9) in lead and rhythm. In masterclass there are only 2 sub-categories (8) easier and (9) harder. The tech ability needed to nail that speed of those riffs precicely is far away from adv, hard masterclass.

While I agree with most of what you wrote, there's more factors to be considered:
1. Style/genre of the song - I used to play 99% thrash for years, and this seems easier to me than some songs that where rated 8 from past weeks. It's hard to gauge how much to discount your preferred playing style even if you know to look out for that.

2. Quality of the chart - this weeks song is great example - you can greatly reduce the difficulty just by moving the notes around. It makes it harder to sight-read for sure, but when you start RRing it becomes obvious. How should we factor that in? On some charts just moving one note makes a ton of a difference to me.

3. I had another point but I forgot

On 2/27/2023 at 10:52 AM, Rodman said:

In masterclass there are only 2 sub-categories (8) easier and (9) harder.

Well, I don't want to be a nitpicker, but there's also 8.5 and 9.5. Also 10s should also be allowed from time to time imo.

• Like 2

Bit of bass first this week 3 seems about right we could 100 this 

Never really listened to Morrissey after a couple of plays I like it  struggled to start but haven't played bass in a while weak hands 

• Like 2