Advice and Question regarding CDLC Creation

Hiero
Go to solution Solved by coldrampage,

Hi!

Due to me recently trying to learn to play the guitar while using Rocksmith. I stumbled upon Custom Forge and it's Ignition4 Search which made it nicer to learn to play guitar with the songs i like.

Obviously, like many of us there aren't all the songs that i like, which is why i decided to take on the challenge of creating my own CDLC and also to share them once they are finished and good enough!

But, as i started today, having downloaded all the softwares needed to do so except for Wwise 2013 version which is available on the website in the tutorial section but that doesn't want to work for me saying that "it couldn't start" and i don't really know why, so if someone can help me with that i would be really glad! I'll try to download the 2021 version later during the day to see if it works though.

On another note, i would really welcome all the advice that you guys could give me!

In fact, i have a few questions that if someone who find and read this could answer :

1st : Is the default tone on the RStoolkit good? and if it's better to have custom or re-used (such as the tones from Rocksmith) would it be better to do so? And how would i be able to create my own tones if necessary?
2nd : i use TuxGuitar as it is free, but is it similar to GuitarPro? Are there any things that i can't do on TuxGuitar that i could do with GuitarPro?
3rd : When making CDLC, what type of tabs do you use ? Do you rather go for quality ones or do you rather trust your ear?

Personally i can't trust my ear i don't have enough experience for that...

4th : Editor On Fire, i honestly find it difficult even when using the "c" button which allow a sound to be heard on the note, do you guys have any advice to make it "easier"? Are there things i should learn that could be useful to use on this software?  i think taking your time is key but it is sometimes neverwracking ahah
5th (and final question for now) : If there are more than 1 or 2 guitars on the TAB on your .gp what do you do? Do you add some some part to one already existing to avoid creating too many arrangements?

I don't know if all of my questions will be understandable, if not do not hesitate to tell me and i'll try to write them in a more understandable way!

I'm really grateful to those who will help me on those matters and give me the answers i'm seeking,

Thanks in advance !

See you around 🙂

UPDATE

Hi Again!

I have read all the responses that have been posted!
Firstly, thank you guys for your honesty! Indeed i know that jumping right in the process of creating CDLC while having no or next to no knowledge of musicality and all of that and while beging a beginner is in fact going to make the task even harder and honestly it scared me at first and i have paused 2 of the 4 projects i had in mind after trying to chart them on EOF ahah.

So secondly, I have decided to take one of the project that i really wanted to add to RS, that nobody ever made but which i wanted to be able to play so bad and try and chart it.
For now it is going surprisingly well, BUT i have one major problem and it is that RStoolkit won't recognize the path to my Wwise and it gives me this message :

image.png.355537f56ddd2b303b77234beda3daef.png

If i can find a way to correct this, i will soon be able to test what i've been working on for the past 6 hours! For you to know, i have downloaded on the link in the tutorial the .rar which for me is a .zip which gave me the "WwiseLauncher" and a Bundle with "prerequisites" and i only executed the launcher, so is there a step that i missed which may cause thise problem? It is my first time installing this software, so there may be some informations that i don't have on the installation process

But just as some of you said, indeed i'll try my best to keep on learning the guitar before actually putting so much work into making CDLC because it's really time consuming and tiring when you're not prepared ahah!

Once again thank you all for your kindness and answers!

Edited by Hiero
Adding Information on the trouble i have been getting with Wwise such as the error message that i have and the steps i have done for the installation. And some quick answers to the answers i have received.
  • Like 1

And that's the last you heard of me

- Barry Johnson, Joyce Manor, Cody (2016)

Honestly my advice would be to get more comfortable with the basics of playing first and understanding what you're looking at.

The process of creating CDLC is a bit complex and if you don't already have an understanding of what's going on in both a tab and in the song itself, its going to be extremely difficult to produce CDLC

For example, some of your questions are more about understanding song arrangements and how tabs work, not really about creating CDLC

Its great that you are enthusiastic about wanting to jump in, but really it'd probably be in your best interest to stick to learning guitar for now

I am not a charter of RS CDLC but only a user of them, and I have some experience with charting RB customs, so I only comment on the 3rd.

In short, the best way IMO is to chart by ear, but obviously it's a serious effort. 

If you are not used to transcribing music by ear, look for official tab books as much as possible. With them you're 99% sure your chart will be correct without editing. There is still a chance of something not being correct even in official books so you can't totally turn off your ears, but most of the times they'll be perfect, and when they're wrong they are not likely to be far from good.

If you use tabs from Ultimate Guitar or any other website including those who charge you, you have a much bigger chance they'll be wrong, even grossly so. Therefore you are going to need your ears much more, possibly to rewrite the whole transcription.

The worst charts are those taken from the web and copy-pasted into RS without even testing them. There is an astounding amount of people out there who know nothing and care nothing about transcribing music but still feel the existential need to post some stuff on the web, and websites do not care about vetting either, they just want to boost their numbers. That's why most UG is garbage, let's try our best to keep RS clean!

So the bottom line is, you can't do anything good or useful for music without using your ears. If you have to build around somebody else's work to make it possible, at least copy from professionals and not from amateurs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shroud said:

look for official tab books as much as possible. With them you're 99% sure your chart will be correct without editing. There is still a chance of something not being correct even in official books so you can't totally turn off your ears, but most of the times they'll be perfect, and when they're wrong they are not likely to be far from good.

Actually tab books, even official ones, are notoriously incorrect. As far as I know, they are most often wrong although there may be some exceptions. They still work for alternate playable versions, but are not accurate to how the song is actually played. Often they don't even sound right when you compare against the original. 

I generally start out at UG, look for the highest rated tabs, look them over and check the comments for additional info. And always check out the unrated tabs as they are often the best versions. There are some sites dedicated to specific bands, dedicated to bass, etc that have higher quality tabs. 

Always have to play the tab yourself and figure out how accurate it is and where corrections are needed.

Often times, you will need to write out an entire tab yourself.

All of this involves being able to play, knowing how to play it, knowing how to read and write detailed tab notation, and understanding song structure basics like time signature

If you're jumping into making CDLC without having at least some basic understanding of all components, its probably going to just make you frustrated and inhibit your learning. This all takes a lot of time, and you could be using all that time to practice instead

Also, I wasn't meaning to be discouraging to OP. If you really want to tackle this, go for it. It may help you learn more things if you apply yourself. The problem is that the process of creating DLC isn't exactly intuitive or user-friendly, and if you don't already understand the basics of how tabs are written, its going to be very difficult to understand what you're doing. And it really does take a considerable amount of time. Its not simply throwing a tab into EOF and ready to go, there's a lot more required. I just think if you're starting out, you'd be much better off learning how to write your own tabs first. I'd spend some good time seeing if you can figure out how to play songs, and then try to write your own tabs for those songs - even if they are extremely basic. And just keep going until you get that process pretty well nailed down. Find a lot of live performance videos and really focus on how the band is playing each part. From that point, you'll be in a much better position to consider CDLC creation.

I also wrote a basic guide which may be helpful, although I still need to update it to use DLC Builder instead of RSToolkit, and add some other elements:

And of course there's the site's official guide:

Hi!
No worries ! I know that it wasn't meant like that ahah, i know that task i'm up against is one that need full concentration, hard work and dedication to be able to fully understand the process. All that is also needed if i were to share my CDLC because i wouldn't allow myself to share a CDLC that is not perfect or near perfect because it's more important to me to have a finish product that is quality and also to make the experience enjoyable for all the people of this community 🙂
And CDLC creation is not to be taken lightly as well! And i understood that while trying to make one!

Obviously i'll keep on working on the projects i want to create even if it means spending days, weeks or months trying to get it right because they are important to me and will also help me learn many things with obviously playing guitar as well which is what i'm longing for! In the end it's the experience of making and the satisfaction of having a good finished product that makes you grow!

Just as you sent them, i started to read your topics and they are really well document, love it ! They will really be of help to because YouTube has some great tutorials but from what i saw in videos and your topic, the videos miss some informations 😅
So i'll gladly use your topics and bookmark them ! 😄

As you said, i'll try to train my ear, and indeed it will be much needed as there might not be all the tabs i want and need on the internet. So it is mandatory to train these ears of mine.
I may talk about my life but i had my guitar (a cheap 100€ one) for 5 years and i started to actively learn to play while using Rocksmith for 42H (As Steam say) because the game and the possibility of CDLC has given me a renewed motivation to learn and i have never been so happy to learn to play guitar with the songs i like!
End of the parenthesis about me, i promise !

To end this answer, i would to tell a few things and ask one question as you seem really well documented on the subject!
- EOF, with the time i spent on it, i begin to be comfortable using it, it is not that hard though at first the software may seem primitive ahah
- RSToolkit, finally decided to find my path to Wwise2013 just this morning, i'm so happy honestly !

BUT
A new problem arised which reside in the fact that i can't open the Wwise Launcher, even though i follow the "ReadMe.txt" that is in the installation folder of the Tutorial Topic.
And here is the message it reads :
"The application could not start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. For more information, check the application event log or use the sxstrace.exe command line tool"
And honestly i don't know what it means, i didn't have this problem to open Wwise2021 or even 2022 (which i download first when i didn't follow the Tutorial Topic, what a fool the me from 12 hours ago was), so should i keep the Wwise2013 path in the RSTool and download the Wwise 2021 which seems like a barbaric solution for this problem?

Thanks again for your answer, your kind advice and links to help!

I'll try to follow what you advised me, to try and get a better understanding musicality, writing tabs and playing !

Erreur2.jpg

• Solution
3 hours ago, Hiero said:

And honestly i don't know what it means, i didn't have this problem to open Wwise2021 or even 2022 (which i download first when i didn't follow the Tutorial Topic, what a fool the me from 12 hours ago was), so should i keep the Wwise2013 path in the RSTool and download the Wwise 2021 which seems like a barbaric solution for this problem?

Get wwise 2021 and use dlc builder instead of the toolkit. Any guide telling you to use the toolkit is likely to be outdated (aka any youtube tutorial) and it's a fairly subpar tool for cdlc creation.

The error seems to be from either a corrupt installation or from missing dependencies, so it looks like you'll have to reinstall it either way.
https://customsforge.com/index.php?/topic/1651-problems-with-wwise-halp/&do=findComment&comment=7062
The required dependencies are also listed here.
https://www.audiokinetic.com/en/library/wwise_launcher/?source=InstallGuide&id=installing_or_upgrading_wwise_and_its_packages

• Like 2

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

Hi !

Thank you all for the answers that you gave !
All of them were really useful to me and it did help me a lot !

I ended up downloading Wwise 2021 as well as DLC Builder which was so easy to use !! It changed my life !
I have almost finished my first CDLC, there might be some finishing touch to bring to it but i have step up a lot with EOF, even though it'll take me some time to remember all and make my CDLCs the perfect version, but my motivation has skyrocketed 😄

I also need, as i have already said, to step up in my guitar practice and understanding of music but by using tabs i found for my first DLC, i have finally arrived to a conclusive test even though i found that my lead has some problems that i need to fix before uploading it ahah

But i'm drawing near to my first ever CDLC made and i'm quite excited for it!

Once again, thank you all for your kind answer, honesty and advice !

See you all around 🙂