The World Cup Thread

snowdog

I know very little about soccer, so could someone explain to me how the US wasn't offside on that second goal?

I looked up the video of it since i didnt see the match itself, but it appears that at the moment of passing the ball, the player from the USA was behind the player from Portugal. Ever so slightly. Pretty hard to see even. 

My workplace
I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman. Yet.

I know very little about soccer, so could someone explain to me how the US wasn't offside on that second goal?

I think it's because Bruno Alves was still on the ground and takes a huge amount of time to get up so he covers Dempsey.

What a game ! Christiano found a way to save his team. 

And now the USA have to win against Germany to pass. That's gonna fun.

Just a four months ban. Nine international games and nine club games. Nowhere near enough. It's only a matter of time before he does this again. And that fine is a fucking joke too, that's just spare change for a player earning as much as he does.

Good to see the US go through this evening, they've played some great football so far.

Well that's Brazil and Columbia through to the Quarter Finals, I reckon both Holland and Costa Rica should go through too. So I should have three out of my four backed sides going through to the Quarter Finals all going well. Not bad, I reckon Columbia are going to go all the way and I'll be £25 richer (although I'm still hoping that Costa Rica are going to win for obvious reasons lol).

That 50p I put on Costa Rica is starting to look like a sound investment now lol  :mrgreen:

If they get all the way to the Final and lose it I'm going to be SERIOUSLY pissed off I didn't put the bet on Each Way lmfao

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

but in the end Germany gonna win that cup :-P

...maybe

YouTube                                                           The Phantastic 3                                                       Facebook

Captain-Sparton-weiss minimini.png

This world cup is crazy fun. 

Sorry for Costa Rica, snowdog, but you still have 2 teams on and Columbia is pretty impressive. 

They have their chances against Brazil.

Allez les Bleus

Well you never know. We're in the knockout stages now so anything can happen lol. On their day I think Costa Rica are capable of beating any one of the sides left, they've got a decent keeper and a good goalscorer in Campbell.

This World Cup is a really odd one so far, you usually have games played a lot more defensively and as a result you normally get the lower quality sides knocked out of the competition by now...but this World Cup we've seen open games and plenty of attacking football, drama and excitement.

Definitely possible for Costa Rica to win it, they're just 3 matches away from lifting the trophy...although it's not very likely lol

This is by far the best World Cug I've ever seen, and I'm an old git (44 in October!) so I've seen a good few lol.  :-P  :mrgreen:

Yup, was pretty nerve wracking lol. Oh well, just one bet left. Netherlands at 25/1. Van Gaal has been absolutely spot on with his tactics and especially his substitutions so far. Am going to be very pleased to see him in charge of United next season I think. Am quite confident that we're going to continue our outstanding record of not going longer than 1 season without a trophy since 1990.  :mrgreen:

I'd be inclined to like Holland a little more if Robben wasn't so obvious with his dives. Spoils such a great player, but for some reason he always seems to get away with it.

My money is still on Germany for the tournament. Them or Argentina, but I think the Germans will just about edge it

Like 90% of the people bitch about Robben now because he actually admitted in an interview he dove once. What those foreign papers dont meantion is that, that was at the end of the first half (IIRC) NOT the fall he got the penalty for. You could clearly see the opponents foot got in the way.

He didnt dove once against costa rica. Damn one time he got double swiped by two guys.

My workplace
I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman. Yet.

I don't think that Germany have much chance of winning it. They may get to the Final (because Neymar has carried Brazil this far practically on his own and is out for the rest of the competition), but the forward players from both Argentina and the Netherlands should tear their slow defenders to pieces. Way too much pace for them to handle imo.

Argentina would have to be major favourites to win the World Cup, Di Maria and Messi should be enough to beat any side left in the competition...including the Netherlands, worst luck for me lol  :mrgreen: