The World Cup Thread

snowdog

Am surprised that someone hasn't started one of these already!  :eek:

We're almost there!!!

Have ordered a 50" telly from Tesco for £329.99 and put a few Outright Win bets on:

Columbia £1 at 25/1

Uruguay £1 at 25/1

Netherlands £1 at 25/1

Costa Rica 50p at 2500/1 lol  :mrgreen:

A bit of a waste of £3.50 cos everyone knows that England are gonna win it  :-P but I never bet on England or Manchester United because I'm the Kiss Of Death lol.

So who do you think is going to win it..? Brazil and Argentina are obviously in for a very good shout.

Well, as a Scot, I don't really care that much.

Though I expect by the time the first match is done(Brazil v Croatia, IIRC), I'll want England to do badly for no reason other than to spite the BBC's commentary team, who won't have been talking about the game. At kick-off, they'll mention that the 4th official's father's brother's nephew's uncle's cousin's former room-mate once went on a business trip to London for a weekend, and they'll spend the rest of the game talking about the EPL.

It's clear Netherlands has no chance. If England plays like Man United this year it's gonna be a bloodbath.

Uruguay or Brazil has the best chances.

For the french team, i just hope they will not go on strike again, or on a paddle boat instead of the bus, it can be fun.

I don't think a European nation has much of a chance because of the heat and humidity over there. I only put a quid on Holland because I always do for European and World championships. They've always had, on paper, a top class side with top class players but always fall apart - usually due to in-fighting. The fact that they've only ever won one trophy in their entire history is ridiculous...so I always put a quid on because they HAVE to win something at some point lol  :-P  :mrgreen:

Really looking forward to it starting because of my new telly though. I've got a 37" one at the moment which I've been VERY happy with during the last 5 years or so but I just couldn't resist getting this 50" one at such a good price. I'll post a link to it later just in case anyone else wants to take the plunge.

May is always the best time to buy a new telly because retailers want to clear their 2014 models from shelves in preparation for their 2015 models coming in.

Edit: Here it is. There's a code you can use to give you £20 off too but I can't see it on the site now so maybe it's expired. It's not going to be the best telly in the world but I've been very impressed by my InspRED 37" one I got from Sainsburys years ago so thought I'd take the plunge. The only problem with it as far as I've read from reviews is that the sound isn't great but that's easily solved by getting a cheap soundbar or using speakers through the headphone socket. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Viva l'Italia! With coach Prandelli, I put all my eggs in their basket! The best thing that ever happened to Italia was to finally attack! The only problem is they showed in the Euro 2012 that their attacking style demands high energy which left them depleted in the final they should've won, though they had 1 day less to rest than Spain. Now add humidity and that may cancel the advantage of most of their players not having gone far in the Champion's League and being rested.

My bet is in Italia! But as Snowdog said, European teams rarely win in the hot humid countries outside Europe. In fact Spain are the only European team to ever win the World Cup off of European soil  (South Africa in 2010).

I'd hate to see Brazil win it again but they were impressive at the Confederation's Cup last summer by destroying lacklustre Spain....I love Spain's scintillating performances but I think they are done. I wouldn't mind Argentina winning. Last year, I thought Germany might win the World Cup but I just don't feel it anymore. I'm still upset with Suarez cheating and ultimately eliminate promising Ghana in 2010. I used to like England when Michael Owen was around.

I'm so excited!! It's insane! I subsribe to cable 1 month every 2 years just for Euro and World Cup. Great times ahead!

Enjoy everyone!

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

I am from Brazil and I think neither Brazil nor Argentina have a chance to win. Brazil would only win this year's world cup if Fifa said so.

I think the top four to win are: German / Netherlands / Spain / Uruguay.

I think Brazil's football is overrated by the media, on paper both German and Spain have much better players.

Hope they prove it on the ground.

Cheering German!

I've got a soft spot for the USMNT. Go you yanks!I think that we'll get out of the group of death, even with Portugal and Germany in our group, considering the injuries that germany's had recently I dare say that as long as we win our first game against Ghana(oh lawd) and tie against Portugal that we'll make it through to the 16.

As for JK's decision on keeping Landon out of the 23 man roster, I gotta say this, I love LD, but he's not in World Cup shape. That being said, I would've played him instead of Jozy Altidore, who's not had a very good year with Southampton. (Though, after a drought usually comes a flood of goals. Here's hoping Altidore can kick that slump he's had to the curb.)

I think Germany or Brazil really have to be considered the favourites and my money would be on Germany outright. Spain, and Argentina could well be the other two semi finalists.

Belgium, Uruguay or Colombia could be interesting outside bets.

Really quite excited for this coming around, more so than I have been for the past 2 anyway

Though I expect by the time the first match is done(Brazil v Croatia, IIRC), I'll want England to do badly for no reason other than to spite the BBC's commentary team, who won't have been talking about the game. At kick-off, they'll mention that the 4th official's father's brother's nephew's uncle's cousin's former room-mate once went on a business trip to London for a weekend, and they'll spend the rest of the game talking about the EPL.

You might be surprised, they might actually talk about Brazil and Croat............... Who am I kidding. Yep, they'll be talking about Rooney's world cup haircut, Woy's favorite colour (and fave ice-cream) and whether or not Gerrard has any studs on his boots (due to his propensity to slip a lot). ;-)

• Like 1

You might be surprised, they might actually talk about Brazil and Croat............... Who am I kidding. Yep, they'll be talking about Rooney's world cup haircut, Woy's favorite colour (and fave ice-cream) and whether or not Gerrard has any studs on his boots (due to his propensity to slip a lot). :wink:

If I still drank, it would be a good opportunity to play 1966.

• 2 weeks later...

Music and football, (why should I say soccer) have many basics in common. Its all about technic precision and execution speed, of anticipation and right decisions, of timing and mastering the instrument. Individually and in groups. Most impressive in control until now was Italy, but I'm sure Spain will be back. The Germans always playing like a machine, and Brasil and Argentina can't allow the Europeans conquer their continent.

Funny how most of you think that Brazil is a favorite

Many people don't think,or some even don't want Brazil to win, I think mostly because there's a big amount of people that don't support the whole world cup thing