Tab Writing -am i barking up the wrong tree here

Bassman18
Go to solution Solved by Bassman18,

Hi Everyone I hope i have posted this in the correct forum

I  want to create some CDLC but i am really struggling to find accurate tabs on which to base the CDLC on, also the more obscure bands that i want to create the CDLC from there just doesn't seem to be a lot of accurate tabs around, i might be able to find tabs occasionally but when i load then into Eof they just wont fit with the actual Music.

so my probably quite Nooby question is-is there any auto tab writing software available where i can play the track i want to create the CDLC on and the prog will write the TAB for me ?

I have wondered for a while where some of you guys who create CDLC for less mainstream bands actually get your tabs from or do you create them yourselves ?

I am primarily interested in creating the Bass lines because its the bass lines that i want to play and there are so many brilliant bass lines out there that have never been turned into CDLC and i would like to add something more to the Community by creating CDLC myself but it is so far proving to be far more difficult and time consuming than i had previously imagined primarily due to the lack of accurate TABs

Thanks in advance for your  assistance

This used to be the stuff of legends, but...

I quickly googled for "artificial intelligence based music transcription software" and a few names came up, all of which seems to be commercial (paid) software. Here's a couple of them: https://www.lunaverus.com/ and https://melodyscanner.com/ or https://guitar2tabs.com/ (by the same company).

I can't vouch for any of these because I've never tried them, but you could look if they offer a free trial or demo version and see how they work on your audio files.

I am thinking that, if you first split your audio file into stems with another AI-based software (and here some fully free options exist such as Spleeter and Lalal.ai, might not be that great but should work), then you might have a more or less isolated bass track for the transcription software to work with.

Automatic tab generation is far from usable as is, but it's pretty useful as a base. Currently it works way better for bass than it does for guitar so I guess you're in luck there.

lunaverus anthemscore is what I've been using lately, if you pair it with some ai separation it can figure out the bass pretty well. It sucks with it's automatic beatmap detection (and there's no way to set it to a constant bpm) so if you want to export it from there you'll need to sync it first, but since it only exports midi you can fairly easily just tab off the display with the given note names which allows you to figure out the fingerings as you go.

The midi export is a bit of a problem since you only get the note data so when importing into guitar pro you have to figure out the fingering/fretting yourself to make it playable since the automatic fingering generation is terrible. This one of the main problems with ai tab generation, they can figure out the notes but not how to play them so it still takes a bit of work to get it done well but the process is more like working off a midi rip or some sheet music.

In general I can tab a song in about an hour or two as opposed to the around 6 that some of the more complicated jazzy baselines would've taken and it saves the tedium of figuring out every note one by one.

Melodyscanner is ok but if it messes up the bpm there's no fixing it and you don't get the spectrogram display to adjust the wrong notes to, it's also a subscription service instead of a one off payment if you want the full version. Since it's online it doesn't have the beast ram requirements of anthemscore though.

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

Hi all!

Thanks coldrampage for the informations.
Have done recently some tries of number of free Audio to Midi software on the Net.... all bad!
I had some hope with (new) Spotify Basic Pitch (https://basicpitch.spotify.com/) but never get any good results, specially for bass (audio separated) tracks, even trying to remove harmonics... :(
Maybe you could have found the good paremeters?

Wasn't aware of AnthemScore. Will surely test the Trial and ready to buy.... But it could not help too much if it doesn't deal with finding good fingerings as I am still  too newbie to this skill!
But am willing to learn😉

On 1/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, Shroud said:

This used to be the stuff of legends, but...

I quickly googled for "artificial intelligence based music transcription software" and a few names came up, all of which seems to be commercial (paid) software. Here's a couple of them: https://www.lunaverus.com/ and https://melodyscanner.com/ or https://guitar2tabs.com/ (by the same company).

I can't vouch for any of these because I've never tried them, but you could look if they offer a free trial or demo version and see how they work on your audio files.

I am thinking that, if you first split your audio file into stems with another AI-based software (and here some fully free options exist such as Spleeter and Lalal.ai, might not be that great but should work), then you might have a more or less isolated bass track for the transcription software to work with.

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and for the information and links which i will most definitely look into, I hadn't considered breaking the music down into stems but i have to say sound like a really good idea and one i'm going to look into Further

• Solution
On 1/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, coldrampage said:

Automatic tab generation is far from usable as is, but it's pretty useful as a base. Currently it works way better for bass than it does for guitar so I guess you're in luck there.

lunaverus anthemscore is what I've been using lately, if you pair it with some ai separation it can figure out the bass pretty well. It sucks with it's automatic beatmap detection (and there's no way to set it to a constant bpm) so if you want to export it from there you'll need to sync it first, but since it only exports midi you can fairly easily just tab off the display with the given note names which allows you to figure out the fingerings as you go.

The midi export is a bit of a problem since you only get the note data so when importing into guitar pro you have to figure out the fingering/fretting yourself to make it playable since the automatic fingering generation is terrible. This one of the main problems with ai tab generation, they can figure out the notes but not how to play them so it still takes a bit of work to get it done well but the process is more like working off a midi rip or some sheet music.

In general I can tab a song in about an hour or two as opposed to the around 6 that some of the more complicated jazzy baselines would've taken and it saves the tedium of figuring out every note one by one.

Melodyscanner is ok but if it messes up the bpm there's no fixing it and you don't get the spectrogram display to adjust the wrong notes to, it's also a subscription service instead of a one off payment if you want the full version. Since it's online it doesn't have the beast ram requirements of anthemscore though.

Really appreciate your in depth reply to my enquiry ..you have given me a lot to think about and you make some very interesting suggestions for software which i will look further into..it is a whole new world for me as i have only ever played other people CDLC but never created any of my own and TBH i have not worked with midi before either, so it does all look like a very big learning curve to me and maybe not as easy and straight forward as I had anticipated

On 1/5/2023 at 5:37 PM, jazmac said:

Hi all!

Thanks coldrampage for the informations.
Have done recently some tries of number of free Audio to Midi software on the Net.... all bad!
I had some hope with (new) Spotify Basic Pitch (https://basicpitch.spotify.com/) but never get any good results, specially for bass (audio separated) tracks, even trying to remove harmonics... :(
Maybe you could have found the good paremeters?

Wasn't aware of AnthemScore. Will surely test the Trial and ready to buy.... But it could not help too much if it doesn't deal with finding good fingerings as I am still  too newbie to this skill!
But am willing to learn😉

and i guess like most of us unless you have money to burn you don't want to spend big bucks on software unless you are sure that it will do everything that you need it to do and do it well and ideally without too much of a massive learning curve