Guitar Strings and Rocksmith Note Recognition

Joey

So as the topic suggests this thread will be about how to get the best out of your guitar playing experience while using Rocksmith 2014. Rocksmith has a number of tunings that are available for many songs especially with all the customs out there. However unless you have the appropriate strings on your guitar you may experience a lot of note recognition problems. 

I was going to write a long out post but instead I found mostly what I was looking for with a google search. This Link  in detail (and much better than I would be able to) how to take care of your strings and how to choose which strings are best for you. 

For Rocksmith if you tend to play songs in low tunings you will most likely be forced to change your strings to a heavier gauge string because of the recognition issues. Tunings like Drop D and C Standard or D Standard will cause you many recognition problems if you are using standard .09 - .46 gauge strings. For these tunings it is recommended that you use either .10(.11) - .52(.56) or heavier gauge strings. The following links which were provided by @ are great videos with explanations on how to setup a guitar. Everyone should watch them and read the article I linked as it has some great information available. 

String Tension (D’Addario recommended)

After replacing strings to a thicker (or thinner) need to do:

1. Setting Up Your Stratocaster Guitar: Adjusting The Truss Rod

2. Setting Up Your Stratocaster Guitar: Bridge Action Height Adjustment 
3. Setting Up Your Stratocaster Guitar: Nut Action height Adjustment 
4. Setting Up Your Stratocaster Guitar: Intonation Adjustment

How To Set up a Strat Floating Tremolo | Two Pivots Tremolo | Whammy Bar

For Russian good video - full setup up guitar

Also for those who are much more knowledgeable about this please feel free to add to this thread. You all may post links or articles which have more detailed information or post your own comments as well. 

• Like 4

I found (on my guitar anyway) that if you tune to the lower end of the tuning range, for a given string, you get less misses. Ie. Tune your strings very, very slightly flat.. That's on my EB 11's.

edit..

Also, I find that I get less misses when my guitar is switched to 'Lead' (Bridge pickup) than when set to Rhythm (neck Pickup). It really does depend on the song being played. This has been tested playing the same song on both settings and is especially true when playing chords.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For bass, I choose a five string bass, the lower string is tuned on B, the next string on E. Rare changes of tuning.

It would be possible on a 7 string guitar, but that would confuse me

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I also used to tune my low e string a little bit flat, but after fixing the intonation of my guitar (it was way off) that was no longer nessecary.

I also noticed that when I enable the auto-tune feature of my guitar (Peavey AT-200), the game registers the high b string as being 10-11Hz too low (but my chromatic tuner does not).

• 1 year later...

I use my Tyler Variax modeling guitar for alternate tunings (all except Drop D).  It's just super easy and you never have to worry about string gauge.   Frankly, I rarely play this guitar OTHER than when I play with Rocksmith.  For alternate tunings,I never have to mess with truss rod or string gauge or anything else.  

I use my Tyler Variax modeling guitar for alternate tunings (all except Drop D).  It's just super easy and you never have to worry about string gauge.   Frankly, I rarely play this guitar OTHER than when I play with Rocksmith.  For alternate tunings,I never have to mess with truss rod or string gauge or anything else.  

I guess the alternate tuning is virtual, and the strings still resonate by their physical tuning.

Hearing 2 different tunings, isn't that disturbing, i.e. when playing softer clean or acoustic songs?

• 3 weeks later...

I guess if he plays loud enough or using a closed headphones, that should not be an issue :lol:

I would worry more that this system would induce some extra delay because of the treatment (as if you use any kind of mfx), but I assume that should be a small one.

Lazy happy owner of some Gibson instruments, with extra bucks in their pockets, can also add Tronical tuning system.

• Like 1

I guess if he plays loud enough or using a closed headphones, that should not be an issue :lol:

I would worry more that this system would induce some extra delay because of the treatment (as if you use any kind of mfx), but I assume that should be a small one.

Lazy happy owner of some Gibson instruments, with extra bucks in their pockets, can also add Tronical tuning system.

Thanks for your advice : I'm rather annoyed playing Buckethead in E and then Eb, then back in E

here how it works

BTW, I thought tronical was kinda stuck with the Gibson licencing, but it seems the company still exists by herself and does headstock for many kind of guitars on various brands.

http://store.tronical-components.com/

It's a bit of an expense, I would consider it if I was playing on stage in a band using several tunings without having to bring several guitars.

• 7 months later...

i can't tell how much i am appreciate men.

i have been playing electric guitar like 1 year but once a week. i saw that tension links and adjusted my truss rod and i was really fu*ked up. i have been playing with a ton press on my strings all that time. thank you so much for this thread men, i'm really appreciate.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

hi all since always....i have had this issue with rocksmith, that sometimes in a part of a song  will give me miss every time.....so when you are getting close to that part you know its very probable you will get a miss....so you may get nervous and then after that miss you dont even know if was your mistake anymore....(in some easy parts you are completely sure you did it right and even that you got that "expected" miss)
....maybe sometimes is not about what part of the song you are in but what mode, like, if you are in riff repeater it works well then you play score attack and...in the same part you "make" uncountable misses...maybe if i unplug the usb and plug it back, the problem goes away....(or not)
sometimes the game or pc....works perfect and only when you know you missed counts as a miss....anybody has this problem?
here you will understand what i mean

On 8/5/2014 at 12:12 PM, TomSawyer2112 said:

For bass, I choose a five string bass, the lower string is tuned on B, the next string on E. Rare changes of tuning.

It would be possible on a 7 string guitar, but that would confuse me

I play a five string bass, but the game does not really support it (or I haven't found out how). In theory you don't need to do a tuning to play, say drop D... but you'll mentally have to read the frets as two lower (and move the last notes to the 5th string). How do you get around that problem?

• 4 months later...