2014 remastered not opening in steam

Marcmunky

Question

Thank you all for posting about this today, mine is working again after:

Switching to previous_version using JustInCaseWeNeedIt as betacode allowed me play all my CDLC again after the recent rocksmith update. 

rocksmith_version_switch_via_betas_key.png.00513d066e12f22b50185b682384ec41.png

The current version of RS2014 from steam would not launch via steam whilst the D3DX9_42.dll was present in the install folder.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marcmunky said:

is ubisoft pulling some bull shit?

I bet you because the new rocksmith released, they updated it so the .dll file doesn't work so we migrate to the new rocksmith and pay the bs membership. Im ok with doing that but they dont have the beatles amongst other bands in there, so Ill never fking pay, ever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was having the same problem just now and tried a few different things. I got it working again by just deleting the D3DX9_42.dll file that you're supposed to install for CDLC. Starts without problems after that. I did not need to change versions or switch to a different Steam branch or anything like that. However, despite the appearance of shenanigans, the custom DLC songs I had installed still seem to work fine (still showing up in my song lists) and I was even able to add new songs still by copying them into the appropriate folder, so that suggests this is not an attempt to break modding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjadodo said:

I was having the same problem just now and tried a few different things. I got it working again by just deleting the D3DX9_42.dll file that you're supposed to install for CDLC. Starts without problems after that. I did not need to change versions or switch to a different Steam branch or anything like that. However, despite the appearance of shenanigans, the custom DLC songs I had installed still seem to work fine (still showing up in my song lists) and I was even able to add new songs still by copying them into the appropriate folder, so that suggests this is not an attempt to break modding.

Yes, the custom DLC songs appear but don't work

16 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

I thought something like this could happen, I told a friend and he called me paranoid.

Anyways, since the end of last year I've been backing up my game once per month and the CDLD's every time I add new ones.

Today after the patch (that broke my game) I just replaced the game with the backup and ran steam without internet, all working.

With internet, steam will tell me "rocksmith cloud is out of date" but I won't try to fix it, I changed to "only update when I launch it".

If you don't have a backup, go with the beta fix and backup for later, it is not the best solution but I guess they won't be able to touch my game anymore.

Stupid "Q", but how do you do the back up, how did you restore it to that back up? do you have to restore it, will you have to restore to the back up after it auto updates on start?

9 hours ago, JEF said:

.........and always remember we are the customers and if we have problems with items we paid for we always have the option to never spend a penny with the offending company again. Lets hope ubisoft are just ironing out a glitch. 

This. I, We, paid for this game that we have been able to use CDLC which was "allowed" for how long.

People say this, but rarely stick with it. I am sticking to it, I will not spend another penny on Ubisoft again. As much as I love this game, As much as it encourages me to pick up my guitars or basses and actually practice, I will never spend another penny, this game has been a pain to get running and keep running from the start.

I am no way paying for a subscription. No way.

• Like 3

if you are only using Steam for RockSmith on a particular PC, you might consider blocking Steam in your firewall after you get RockSmith working again.  That way you don't accidentally start it in "online" mode instead of "offline." 

I'm sure Steam will eventually require you to go online so it can do its own audit, but maybe this temporary fix will prevent any unintended updates to RockSmith until this is worked out.

Just remember to enable Steam in your firewall when you have to let it phone home again.

3 hours ago, Sniper Reload3d said:

Stupid "Q", but how do you do the back up, how did you restore it to that back up? do you have to restore it, will you have to restore to the back up after it auto updates on start?

The backup is just a copy of the game folder in another place of your HD, to restore just copy all files back and replace if ask (copy, don't move), I had a copy of the game but I think if you go with the beta branch fix and all run ok, then you can make copy of that game folder in another place. after that you will have to change the update option  in steam for rocksmith to "update only when run" and from now on you'll have to run steam and rocksmith with no internet connection.

It is not an elegant solution but next time it happen you'll be ok because the game won't update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiroshi said:

The backup is just a copy of the game folder in another place of your HD, to restore just copy all files back and replace if ask (copy, don't move), I had a copy of the game but I think if you go with the beta branch fix and all run ok, then you can make copy of that game folder in another place. after that you will have to change the update option  in steam for rocksmith to "update only when run" and from now on you'll have to run steam and rocksmith with no internet connection.

It is not an elegant solution but next time it happen you'll be ok because the game won't update.

I was wondering this [you'll have to run steam and rocksmith with no internet connection.] and make a dedicated 'puter to just run rocksmithsans updates and internet connection. Kind of what Jay was saying above your reply. Definitely not elegant at all. I was figuring that was going to happen eventually, but doesn't mean I like it at all. So I will have to experiment later, I have copies of the un-updated on a cloned drive I will have to check and see if I can use those to over write. 

I did the beta version and it works again after the cdlc all stopped working. then i set updates in steam to only happen when the game starts, no option to turn them off completely. Now if i only start rocksmith when i'm offline it should never update right? 

On 9/10/2022 at 1:16 PM, Marcmunky said:

why would shutting down the servers not make it load on my pc?

Because Ubisoft is braindead, and most of their games have some form of DRM built in, which can cause issues if you can't connect to the internet.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, Marcmunky said:

I had rocksmith working just fine as recently as thursday and all of a sudden it won't open. in steam, it says its launching, nothing happens, and the play button comes back. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and the issue is still happening. anyone have this issue and know a fix or whats going on?

I have exact same problem! Everything was fine until yesterday. Suddenly I got an update on steam, installed it, boot the game up, but had same problem as you.  it says its launching, nothing happens, and the play button comes back. Also tried installing it and uninstalling it, but nothing works. I guess I'll wait to Ubisoft fix this.

JustInCaseWeNeedIt

no small " j " like some put it. Case sensitive.

and then once you have previous version then type in the code again.

Then Everything will work, just like before the update.What a headache.

New Update FIX.
Steam Library -> Rocksmith 2014 -> Properties -> Betas -> (Enter beta code) = JustInCaseWeNeedIt
Select the beta = previous version.

5 minutes ago, mrchdavid said:

Where did you get your old files from? Sorry for the maybe silly question.  🙂

I have Rocksmith on 3 computers. 2 did not work because update. so i started my third computer on offline and copy rocksmith files my usb stick. then i just copy to files my other computers and now it work 😛

• Like 1