Better guitar sound

gp20

Question

18 answers to this question

I don't know if this will be of any help for you, but I spent a long time with RS on the PC thinking that the pick-ups on my guitar were crap as RS didn't seem to register anything unless I had the volume dial turned up most of the way. The two things I did to address it were to firstly fiddle with the pick-up screws to get them closer to the strings. This helped a bit, but it wasn't until I noticed that the microphone settings on the PC were down real low that it made a massive difference. I've changed the settings from 10 to 50 and that seems to make a huge improvement.

How to get a better guitar sound in Rocksmith 2014? Is there a way because frankly the modelisation is meh.

Some people are splitting the signal and running the guitar into their amp -- sounds like you might prefer that.

I'm not really bothered by the sound in Rocksmith. First of all because I'm using headphones, so it's going to sound like shite anyway. And second of all because I'm only using it as a learning tool.

• Like 1

I don't know why but everytime that I start rocksmith my mic volume reset to 17

This is a bug that's been there since the game came out. They weren't able to fix this. Instead, they added a gain setting in the options menu. This will allow you to boost your guitar's signal -- it'll have you recalibrate after that.

Ok so no way to improve the sound. I hope that they will make improvment for Rocksmith 2015. lol

A good clean crunch and OD should be not difficult to get.

My guitar is ok and i played with the gain without more success the od sounds fuzzy.

As you play the game and unlock achievements you get pedals , amps and other equipment so you can create your own custom tones. you can save them to hotkeys (1, 2, 3 and 4 on your keyboard if you're using the pc version) and select the tone you want when you begin playing a song (you get an achievement for doing that too). It can be a bit fiddly combining some of the equipment to get the right tones but there's some pretty nice effects you can make.

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

I Think It Depends Of Your Pickups, Saturated Hambuckers will sound less Good on RS, because the Saturated Sound will be used as default (Instead of a clean sound) & RS Will Add All Effects on top of it, Resulting on an altered Sound.

RS Have a very good sound Quality though, if you use a Good Home Cinema/HI-FI Amp & Speakers.

As you play the game and unlock achievements you get pedals , amps and other equipment so you can create your own custom tones. you can save them to hotkeys (1, 2, 3 and 4 on your keyboard if you're using the pc version) and select the tone you want when you begin playing a song (you get an achievement for doing that too). It can be a bit fiddly combining some of the equipment to get the right tones but there's some pretty nice effects you can make.

Nice.

I tried the usb cable with guitar rig and it sounds muffled. This is probably the reason of the bad sound i get.

Nice.

I tried the usb cable with guitar rig and it sounds muffled. This is probably the reason of the bad sound i get.

Well, what kind of guitar do you have? How long have you been playing? Does the guitar sound okay with an amp?

Just in case... make sure your tone is turned up to the maximum. The tone knob acts as a filter, bleeding off the high end of the signal. If it's turned down all the way, the guitar will sound muffled.

Other things that can influence the tone is the distance of the pickups to the strings. There's a sweet spot --if they're too close, they'll sound like crap.

The nut and bridge can have an impact too -- a poorly cut nut will make the strings sound like shit. Same with the bridge.

Of course, the only solution to cheap pickups is to switch them out.

I have many amps and it sounds great no problem. It's gibson with P90.

Well, in that case, like I said before, try out a y-cable to split the signal to one of your amps. That way you get more control over the level of the guitar too.

This is a bug that's been there since the game came out. They weren't able to fix this. Instead, they added a gain setting in the options menu. This will allow you to boost your guitar's signal -- it'll have you recalibrate after that.

"It's not a bug - it's a feature"

No seriously... I really think this is exactly the the way it is intended to be. When Rocksmith is started, it takes controll over your input and output devices in an "exclusive mode" to gain priority.

I once unchecked the box " Applications in exclusive mode have priority" in the advanced settings of my speakers. The result was a noticable sound-delay ingame. Thus this priority mode seems to enable the delay-free treatment of the in- and output signals.

About the mic volume level: I guess the value is set to the one determined by the soundcheck ingame.

All in all, you cannot change the mic volume in the system settings because of the exclusive mode - but that is a useful thing!

Nevertheless, you can still control this slider by the ingame stetting "real tone cable gain" - it directly changes your system mic volume. This way you have full control over your input volume ;-)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

"It's not a bug - it's a feature"

No seriously... I really think this is exactly the the way it is intended to be. When Rocksmith is started, it takes controll over your input and output devices in an "exclusive mode" to gain priority.

I once unchecked the box " Applications in exclusive mode have priority" in the advanced settings of my speakers. The result was a noticable sound-delay ingame. Thus this priority mode seems to enable the delay-free treatment of the in- and output signals.

About the mic volume level: I guess the value is set to the one determined by the soundcheck ingame.

All in all, you cannot change the mic volume in the system settings because of the exclusive mode - but that is a useful thing!

Nevertheless, you can still control this slider by the ingame stetting "real tone cable gain" - it directly changes your system mic volume. This way you have full control over your input volume :wink:

but after Rocksmith changes it to 17 I can go there and re-change to an upper level (btw thats what I do every single time)

Why don't you just change it in the ingame "real tone cable gain"-setting? Doesn't this work for you?

I imagine it is a bit anoying to go through your system volume settings each time you start the game :-)

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

Why don't you just change it in the ingame "real tone cable gain"-setting? Doesn't this work for you?

I imagine it is a bit anoying to go through your system volume settings each time you start the game :smile:

That's exactly why they added the in-game gain option, because they couldn't figure out how to prevent Rocksmith from resetting the system volume.

• Administrator

@@djarchaic Because ODLC have an paid guy that work on this specifically for every song and tweak every little settings to get as close as possible to the original sound while CDLC are made by users that don't spent as much time and effort on those details and frankly most users don't seems to care cause they use alternate solution (Amp or their own custom tone) making the effort to get a good tone more of a useless burden than anything as sad as it is to say.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity