what pick are you using?

devindog23

So for me it depends on what I'm doing? I've recently gotten into a very fast gypsy jazz/ flat picking thing that I use a nylon dunlop for. Very grippy. For metal I use either a fender thin for melodic stuff or a fender heavy (really any completely flat tortex copy from .5 to 1) for fast stuff where I might choose to pick tap. For a sort of funk sound where I need a lot of control no matter what my speed (it slows me down though) 3.0mm big stubbies are my pick. I've never gotten the hang of finger picks for that sort of thing. I just rely on calluses.

Dunlop Ultex Sharp 2.0mm for guitar and bass. Bought a six-pack a few months ago, and despite playing every day, I'm still on the first

pick  :cool:

I used to use thinner ones for guitar, but they just went all bendy and kaputt real quick. The thicker ones took some getting used to, but now they give me no trouble at all!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using a Dunlop Jazztone 208 lately, since I'm working on comping. The difference in tone between this and a normal pick is pretty amazing.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/images/products/JDJazztones-11.png

Any idea if those would be good for gypsy jazz?  I'm trying to get up to speed on my la pompe, but I'm using a 000 style flattop with normal strings, so I figured I'd at least try to get the pick right.  Don't want to spend $15 on the wegen pick they all seem to use though.

I've used the .63mm Clayton acetal jazz picks for a long time, but honestly, most anything in the .6-.8mm range is fine.  Within sight at the moment, I see some plastic and metal banjo picks, Clayton jazz and 'regular' picks, GC picks, Fender mediums and thins, and some Dunlop nylons (don't really care for these).  I assume they still make those clayton jazz style picks.  I bought my last ones in the early 90s before taking a long hiatus from playing.  I still had a dozen or so in an old guitar case when I started getting back into playing. 

I got some picks shaped like hockey masks (a la Friday the 13th) that I've been using lately, and those are fine so far too.  I think the little holes for mask make it a bit more grippy.  Guests find them amusing :-)

Any idea if those would be good for gypsy jazz?  I'm trying to get up to speed on my la pompe, but I'm using a 000 style flattop with normal strings, so I figured I'd at least try to get the pick right.  Don't want to spend $15 on the wegen pick they all seem to use though.

@@cstewart Yes, that's basically the type of guitar I'm working on right now (more of the Freddie Green three-note chord style though). They definitely give that nice, meaty thumping sound. I do have an archtop, but much of the time I'm playing unplugged on a Godiin Multiac and these picks really bring out the low end. I think they cost a buck -- definitely worth the try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://gravitypicks.com/collections/picks/products/sunrise?variant=898682935

I just received an 8 pick sampler pack of Gravity Picks this afternoon.   All of them are excellent plectrums, but for me the standout and new ultimate pick I've ever had is the 3mm Sunrise Standard. 

They may cost a little extra, but these suckers are handmade one at a time, and play effortlessly.

I play bass, so it really depends on the song I'm playing. But if I'm not using my fingers,and I want a hard attack I use Fender 346 medium pick. If I want a softer attack, I got with Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0mm. Generally I use my fingers for funk/jazz/etc., the Fender 346 for punk/metal, and the Dunlop GG2mm for anything that's kind of "in between" the two sounds.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-346-White-Guitar-Picks-101243723-i1123739.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Gator-Grip-Standard-Guitar-Picks-110310-i1123519.gc

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Pick of destiny :)

Else dunlop nylon .88 for its one of the few picks that wont slip...

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

• 4 weeks later...