Isolating guitar and bass?

radbiird

I've been looking at a few songs in uncharted territory (sorry) and there are sections where I just can't make out the instruments because the vocals and drums are simply too loud. I've tried inverting the phase, but it didn't help enough. Any tips to help pick out the notes? Otherwise, I'll resort to emailing the artist and begging for tracks.

15 hours ago, radbiird said:

I've been looking at a few songs in uncharted territory (sorry) and there are sections where I just can't make out the instruments because the vocals and drums are simply too loud. I've tried inverting the phase, but it didn't help enough. Any tips to help pick out the notes? Otherwise, I'll resort to emailing the artist and begging for tracks.

Eq can help, using something like audacity or transcribe (transcribe is pretty handy overall for tabbing stuff and has a bunch of eq presets) you can filter out the high/low frequencies so you can hear the guitar/bass better. They can't do much about the drums though.
iHn0nYA.pngYDLcncJ.png

Pitching the audio up an octave can also help hear the bass by moving it into a more listenable range and pitching the other instruments out of that range.

There's also a few ML tools for splitting audio tracks but the results aren't too great and they take far too long to generate to be any real use but this'd be the only real way do "remove" the drums/vocals if they are that much of an issue.

• Like 1

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I've shared today my first experiment with isolating instruments/drums/voice,  from a previous CDLC, to give a new CDLC version containing music track without bass, created at start for my sole use and training. ....

As coldrampage said, you could find Machine/Deep Learning tools for this...
I've tried 2 tools to split the music tracks, one online (web site) and one software tool that are using DeepLearning...

- Create stems from any song with ezstems -  https://ezstems.com/
- Spleeter - Fast and Efficient Music Source Separation Tool with Pre-Trained Models - https://github.com/deezer/spleeter  (free and open-source!)

For the first one, you just have to upload audio file (although there is a size limit), choose number of isolated tracks wanted, launch the process (wait in a priority stack) and download the result. 

The second one need to be installed and configured (Windows), wich isn't so easy, but give generally better results.

When using  the "5 stems" options we obtain 5 individual splitted tracks:

- bass
- drums
- piano
- vocals
- other

It's all automated and the result is very surprising!!! 😉 But your mileage may vary...

Voice and drums can be generally well isolated. [Edit]  They can be removed with ususually very good results! 

Same for bass when it's not too mixed with other instruments.
But guitar are often found in "other".... but still usable if not much other instruments or sound effects!

Best result is when you want to remove one of the splitted track, for exemple removing bass...

I let you see/listen to the result with bass (almost completly  removed) in my new CDLC (from Seneca's previous CDLC - https://ignition4.customsforge.com/cdlc/43889):

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) - No bass - https://ignition4.customsforge.com/cdlc/67847

I would be interested if you know and practice other ways/tools/software to do the same job.

See U

Edited by jazmac
Add informations on Ezstems...