more download on my host compare to the number in custom forge

Boltac

Question

I am wondering if someone post a link to my cdlc somewhere else as I have 20% more download recorded in media fare compare to the number in custom forge DB

Someone else has the same issue?

Someone has an explanation?

regards

17 answers to this question

There's actually a couple of ways the number of downloads shown in Search and by your DL provider might differ. 

• We're only counting clicks on the actual "Download Link" on the record page. If you provide the same link in the Author's Notes or somewhere else on the page, someone might click that one and the DL is not counted.
  • We're only counting one click per IP address. Your DL provider might count each individual download.
  • As has been mentioned before, the DL link might have been publicized elsewhere. 

As for the update interval, that is immediate. Just reload the page and you'll get the current DL count. 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Small stakes leave you with the minimal blues

I don't think the database updates that often, does it?

But no doubt many of the customs in the database have already found their way into many a torrent pack.

This wouldn't increase the DL count. What do people think of torrent packs? I've only had one CDLC I have found in a torrent pack, and it doesn't bother me as long as the torrent creator doesn't pass it off as their own work. I have a hard time taking credit for my CDLCs because even though I took the time to transcribe it, the original content is the work of the artist that wrote it, not mine.

• Like 1

In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds. Amen

http://customsforge.com/forum/50-submitted-cdlc-beta/ and  http://search.customsforge.com/  never match up either are they counting different things?

Yep, they're completely different things. In the subforum you can see the topic's views while in Search you'll get the actual download count. 

• Like 1

Small stakes leave you with the minimal blues

What do people think of torrent packs?

Torrent would be just a way to dl everything you can get - you'll have no updates, no feedback in the threads and the idea behind creating a custom is "fair use" and educational purposes. Converting it to file sharing would not fit into it and I don't think that you'll be tolerated.

What would be an advantage you see in providing one torrent for the cdlc?

What do people think of torrent packs?

Torrent would be just a way to dl everything you can get - you'll have no updates, no feedback in the threads and the idea behind creating a custom is "fair use" and educational purposes. Converting it to file sharing would not fit into it and I don't think that you'll be tolerated.

What would be an advantage you see in providing one torrent for the cdlc?

Tolerated? I don't think he's suggesting that he might create a torrent, but rather, is asking what current authors think of other people torrenting their work.

Personally, other than being a little bummed that whoever downloads the torrent might not have the most updated version, I don't mind people re-uploading anything I make (that goes for videos I've subtitled, DTXMania drum customs I've created, anything) because those things were made to be shared. If somebody in China is playing my customs that they got from some guy, because they couldn't personally connect to customforge (just an example) or somebody in Malaysia got them from someplace else because they couldn't overcome the language barrier to get them from here, then I think that's fantastic. 

It's nice to get credit for things, but if I did the projects that I've been doing for the past 10 or 15 years because I wanted direct recognition and pats on the back, then I would've quit a long time ago. My projects are consumed by a great many people, but very few ever say thanks.

That's one of the great things about this community. At least some people do let you know they appreciate your efforts.

• Like 1

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

• Administrator

We're not doing a torrent. We said that when we started the site and we're sticking to it. 

Mothman is real and he sold me coke in a dimly lit JC Penney's.

We're not doing a torrent. We said that when we started the site and we're sticking to it. 

Was anyone asking for, or suggesting one? This is the 2nd post indicating that but I didn't see that when I read through the thread. Maybe it's my reading comprehension. ;)

- Billkwando

I was certainly not suggesting a torrent pack - I was simply stating that in the likely event that my work ends up there, I'm not going to get up in arms about it. I think @@Billkwando put my intentions wonderfully.

• Like 1

In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds. Amen

I was certainly not suggesting a torrent pack - I was simply stating that in the likely event that my work ends up there, I'm not going to get up in arms about it. I think @@Billkwando put my intentions wonderfully.

Thanks! That was the plan! :D

- Billkwando

I've cited the question "what do people think about torrent packs?" - it was not my suggestion and I did not write that the poster would upload one. I'm no native speaker and don't know where's my misunderstanding in the post.

By "being tolerated" I thought about other instances than contributors (which have invested their time), but they're not the copyright holders of the songs and music.

With torrents you leave the field of "fair use" and "educational purposes" and become a file sharing and that is what I'm thinking of torrents. Then you may become a target of them, because "your work" contains copyrighted material.

In a forum you could have a discussion and a community - in a torrent you're only distributing files.

Sry for interupting.

Torrents only leave the field of "fair use" if a person use a CDLC that he didn't make and share it. But it also leave the "fair use" if he would upload it on every other file sharing server like megaupload and so on.

The only diffrent between Torrent and file that the Charter upload personally on a File Share site is that: You know where it comes from.

If someone use a Torrent for sharing, the progamm download parts from everyone that have this file and is connected. So you never know where it comes and if this file is manipulate or a virus is injected, especially if it is Big torrent bundles of many CDLC's.

I have never had a virus from a torrent.  Back in the day before torrents, viruses were easily identifiable, because if you try to download a text file and it ends up being a .exe it was obvious it was a virus.

With that said, I never download torrent packs for CDLC because many of the songs are badly made demos.