Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 416

Rodman

another week with various tunings... i found having two guitars is not enough 🙂

class songs:

could not get anything better than that

ajkmqHH.jpg

arpeggios are my nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any tips how i can have it practiced?

4RwetL2.jpg

love this one.... always a note or two i miss though... this is the longest streak i got anyway...

aslUKUE.jpg

other classes:

love this one... above my abilities to get reasonable score though....

beKbHEM.jpg

bass a little bit better than rhythm, could be better if I have more time...

gyiR1gI.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kayteck said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, but my advice would be:
1. Try playing them with fingers instead of a pick.
2. If you decide that you have to use the pick (like me), play riff repeater turbo-slow, and watch your right hand. Try to make as small and efficient movements as possible. Optimize and repeat - there's only 6 strings so it's possible to muscle-memory every move, I think (I'm still working on this myself, so dunno).
3. Memorize the left hand movements before you practice picking. It's usually just static positions on the fretboard, so think of every change as distinct phrase, where the right hand does all the phrasing. If it helps, you can try practicing the right hand without fretting, just open strings. Whatever gives you the fastest progress is the way to go.
4. Don't avoid them like I did for 10+ years, so you won't regret it like me. Practicing arpeggios really forces you to get you to focus on the right hand, which is vital and easy to ignore until you reach a certain level. And if you do ignore it, you'll have to rebuild your technique from scratch almost.
5. DISCLAIMER: I'm self-taught, with no knowledge of proper teaching methods or technique. All of my ideas on this are merely a reflection of the mistakes I've made. I can almost guarantee that there is a simpler approach/solution to this, that I'm not aware of. Maybe someone else can chime in?

7 hours ago, nlbsmglsk said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, but my advice would be:
1. Try playing them with fingers instead of a pick.
2. If you decide that you have to use the pick (like me), play riff repeater turbo-slow, and watch your right hand. (...)
3. Memorize the left hand movements before you practice picking. It's usually just static positions on the fretboard (...)
4. Don't avoid them like I did for 10+ years, so you won't regret it like me. (...)
5. DISCLAIMER: I'm self-taught, with no knowledge of proper teaching methods or technique. 

thanks for all advise.

what i am doing at the moment is trying to read the proper chord and play whole cord hoping game will catch THAT note as nearly never ever hit the right note if trying to play properly.

1. tried both fingers and pick 😉

2. good idea... i loose my patience though if music gets too slow LOL...

3. true... i think it would be much easier if chords used in these arpeggios are shown as sometimes are, but not in this case

4. good point. i am doing the same thing here for last 20 years or so...

5. cheers...

12 hours ago, kayteck said:

It kind of depends where you're finding issues at. From previous suggestion and your reply it's hard to say exactly where you're finding extra difficulty. I'm definitely not a reputable guitar teacher at all, but the bit that I've really had to learn something with arpeggios I always thought it easier at the time to learn the chord shapes being used before worrying too much about my picking, but that could also just be that I've never quite been the most accurate picker.

I might be able to get some scores in today. I hope I can. If anyone's struggled with their mental health in the past you might be like me where playing music is one of the best ways to ride that particular wave but when the right issue comes along there's a part of your brain that really doesn't want to get better so playing guitar becomes the last thing you're capable of thinking of. I'm on the backside of that, bought a new pedal to try to get things going in a better direction (my wife would have gotten a tattoo, I like my choice better) but I bought the wrong one which actually made things worse but I'm exchanging it for the correct type of pedal today so that will hopefully do what I want it to.

Heads up for anyone looking into drop tuning pedals, in the Digitech line there's three pedals that always come up in searches: The Drop, Whammy V, and Whammy DT. I looked up a ton of stuff and got my wires crossed and picked up the Whammy V, and while it has a Detune function it's not configurable a la The Drop, it's just a "shallow" and "deep" selection which makes some neat effects but isn't actually good for keeping your guitar in standard tuning and setting other tunings. The lineup there is The Drop does Drop Tuning, Whammy V does the static Detuning, and the Whammy DT does both. Finding either The Drop or the Whammy DT is not the easiest thing locally so I'm probably picking up an EHX Pitchfork+ 

3 minutes ago, GeoAbraxas said:

It kind of depends where you're finding issues at. From previous suggestion and your reply it's hard to say exactly where you're finding extra difficulty. I'm definitely not a reputable guitar teacher at all, but the bit that I've really had to learn something with arpeggios I always thought it easier at the time to learn the chord shapes being used before worrying too much about my picking, but that could also just be that I've never quite been the most accurate picker.

the biggest problem i have is hitting the right note, especially on high E, B, G and D. finding proper chord is less issue, however it takes some time to figure out if hand shape is not shown.

i was trying to play few mini games to work on it, but with no huge progress 😉

Ya, it is much easier with the chord shape mentioned. I actually often will go find a tab of the song to look at specifics and the tab view is probably the thing from Rocksmith+ that I would be most looking forward to just for these situations. The highway view is great for learning timing if you're not into music notation (I'm really bad at that stuff), but to just sort of see where the song is going and to really get the differences between the notes seeing everything horizontally really helps.

What a week!  I came home Sunday to my hot water heater leaking.  I had to move my setup and guitars to dry out the carpet and spent the evenings all week replacing the hot water heater, tearing out the cabinets over the hot water heater (because the new one was just and inch too tall), and getting the washer and dryer back to normal.  But the good news is I have hot water again, my setup is re-established, and I just downloaded the new songs today and ran through them.  What a nice selection!

3sBZnbC.jpg

OLWlUhj.jpg

rjw4KNM.jpg

• Like 2

Championship Leaderboard                                                         Song Selection Sheet

Got two songs in, not much but at least I tried

G4yyNZI.png

I...did not like this song. It's become very apparent to me that no matter how much they're loved I really do not like any song by The Pixies I've ever heard.

NVRJR8F.png

With a bit of practice I'm sure I could hit 80%.

It's my turn to be posting the new set of songs, so I'll be posting Week 417 soon, just giving some fair warning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GeoAbraxas said:

It's my turn to be posting the new set of songs, so I'll be posting Week 417 soon, just giving some fair warning.

How much time because I do not know whether to try to improve the bass? 😉