Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 416

Rodman

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer
21 hours ago, Mikson said:

Good song, so tried Rhythm again too:

....I think Prayer In The Dark is slightly easier on Rhythm than Auctioned. @ Rodman What do you think about swapping these two songs? 

Thats exactly the order it is and was from beginning ofcthe week! (See LB file and SSL!)

I have no idea how that got confused in the opening post 😉

Rock!

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

Not my best day, but still here are the sight reads:

Lead:
spacer.pngspacer.png

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I like some of the riffs in this, but I've never heard of this band. Are they always singing about Jesus and praying?

spacer.png

Babymetal always seemed a gimmick to me, so I never payed any attention to them. After playing it I think it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's certainly  more interesting than the myriad of "modern metal"/"metalcore" bands with djenty breakdowns and lo-fi intros. So, while I won't be listening to any of their albums, I get the appeal. </unsolicited opinion>

Also: I'd rate the difficulty at 8 or 8.5 max, regardless of my low score. I mean, if this is 9, then what would you rate a Polyphia (or Animals as Leaders, or any <insert virtuoso here>) song?  69?

Rhythm:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Bass:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 2

So, the intermediate rhythm is definitely hard but I don't think it's that out of place in intermediate. I'm definitely an intermediate and it took me 2 times to pass it on SA after 1 time playing through in LAS so I think it's challenging bur not something I can't do. However, I think it tends to lend itself towards higher scores (accuracy) than players like me deserve because I think I can register lots of notes just by slapping strings.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, Mikson said:

Rodman do you select songs for the championship week as a result of some draw / algorithm? Is that why sometimes a selection does not match the difficulty rating of assigned to a specific class, like this week's Auctioned Rhythm?

Of course!!!

Here is a post you should already know:

On 9/18/2021 at 9:43 PM, Rodman said:

HOW TO DO SONGSELECTION:

Best way is to use RNG (Random Number Generator) to select songs independently.

Note that you will have to

1) sort the SSL for Lead diff first (please please do that by marking ALL FILLED COLUMNS or you mess up the sheet!)

2) Do RNG on all difficulties (beg 1-3, int 4,5 mc 8,9) but

2.1. if a player has more than 1 suggestion in one group that shall only count as 1 to take away the advantage in RNG

2.2. if possible the song picked shall not be from the same player as from the week before

2.3. as soon as you have a song picked go to Songs Played, Press Ctrl-F and search for it to see if it has recently been played (at least a good year shall have passed!)

2.4. Test the song for Diff (all 3 paths), and quality (incl. Tone, Sync and RR) - generally one run and a short hit of the spacebar and checking if sections are selectable and RR does start will do.

2.5. If there are issues with the song please leave a comment in SSL - a lot issues can be repaired easily, and go back to 2.1

3) So if you got 4 songs bring in order (an excellent hidden place for that is going to the Xmas/special occations Sheet and scroll down to line ~150 😉 )

3.1 missing rhy or very rarely lead arrangements can be left blank marked as n/a IF there has been an arrangement there in the week before, else choose one from Songs from the past,or - if the arrangement from the next level class is not way too hard, you can give that to the lower class also (that rule is still in testing, but i like it)!

3.2 if rhy and bass arrangements cannot match all 4 classes - choose from songs from the past, or as above give next higher arrangment to the lower class too.

3.3 If you do not use one of the arrangements for above reasons put them in as BONUS arrangements for the corresponding class or put it into the SSL-SPARE ARRANGEMENTS sheet in SSL document!

4) So if you got that all fixed set up a new week (start it at 6-8pm CET on SAT)

4.1 - copy paste last weeks start to get going

4.2 - do check and correct if all scores are added to the leaderboard and name winners

4.3 - double check everything is all right, INCLUDING WORKING LINKS TO YOUR SELECTED SONGS

4.4 - Start the week. wait to be stoned to death.

5) Set up new weeks leaderboard sheet in the google docs file - please do mind the format, start by duplicating last week, delete scores, also check if any player is to be auto-leveled up (99%+ lead, rhy, 99.5%+ bass on class highest diff song (3/5/7) - if yes, do it and make a post about it, enter new songs and difficulties. done.

X) You can break the above rules and set up a hand selected e.g. special topic week from time to time

X2) If noone finds time to do a proper selection please also volunteer to set up a da capo week (week that has been played in the past) - do not forget to check working links there!!

Rock, Rod!

See 2) ... randomly selecting songs is the only only way to serve a fair competition. If the organizer goes through the list and just picks songs he/she would like for the next week he is open for being accused of at least 2 biases. Firstly he will choose genres and bands of his likings and secondly and even heavier he will even likely select files he has been playing and practicing - hell of an advantage. I am superaware that over the last years the championship is all friendly and everyone is having fun even finishing the week on 2nd or 3rd place, but 5 or 6 years ago there has been most intense battling and even the random selection of the same players suggestion has led to a lot of heat and altering of the rules (see 2.2). Selecting randomly still brings up the issue that the organizer has the advantage of having testplayed the song and knowing it in advance but i never wil let that count because the orga on the other hand has the vast disadvantage of using 3-6 hours of his RS time in the week before to set up the next week.

Of course from time to time e.g. for special occasions hand-selections can be done (see X)), and like last week we have sensationale special themed hand selections!!! but for the regular weeks rng is the best way, and it´s fun cause you get to test songs you would have never touched.

Rod.

P.S:
"Is that why sometimes a selection does not match the difficulty rating of assigned to a specific class, like this week's Auctioned Rhythm?"
No and yes - the RNG is based on lead difficulty - so we end up with 4 perfect siff matches in lead. the rhy and bass are assigned by ascending diffs and if something is really missing (like bass mc often of course) there is either the fundus of 400 gone weeks to chose one or the spare arrangement arrangements or test another one from in that case bass only songs... i personally have not a big problem with the one or the other arrangement being a bit too hard from time to time as it might push players, not a fan of selecting new complete songs for individual missing arrangements for bonus arrangements are often left a bit alone snd on the other hand spare unused arrangements leave a bit of a mess with a lot of extra work if they shall not be forgotten. However the fundus of played arrangements is huge and those are already tested and rated and ready to be used to fill gaps.

• Like 4

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

@ Rodman

Thanks for the extensive explanation!

Sounds a bit complicated, I think the RNG in my head is much easier 😄

But okay, I understand what's going on and maybe I'll try it next time. However, you will admit that the selection list is still a bit dirty, although I tried to improve it recently (yes, I added links for all songs that did not have them, or the link did not work because was created before Ignition - about 90% of the list in total). There are also many CDLCs that are poorly suited to championship through mistakes or a weak/boring chart. I tested a lot (maybe half) of the songs on the list, so it's quite easy for me to make selection for the championship from my head 😉

PS. It's good to know that once real battles for victory took place here!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mikson said:

@ Rodman

Thanks for the extensive explanation!

Sounds a bit complicated, I think the RNG in my head is much easier 😄

But okay, I understand what's going on and maybe I'll try it next time. However, you will admit that the selection list is still a bit dirty, although I tried to improve it recently (yes, I added links for all songs that did not have them, or the link did not work because was created before Ignition - about 90% of the list in total). There are also many CDLCs that are poorly suited to championship through mistakes or a weak/boring chart. I tested a lot (maybe half) of the songs on the list, so it's quite easy for me to make selection for the championship from my head 😉

I know what you did and what you do! And it is a lot lot of work and it is great. If songs are unavailable in Ignition or the file is very bad delete the line - selecting unavailable or bad files is a pain. RNGing takes seconds and is really thrilling, you might enjoy that and it might lead to unexpected weeks and even more testing 😉

PS. It's good to know that once real battles for victory took place here!

Oh... man - you might wanna go read some around week 60 and on... ugly scenes 😄 @theneverend f.e. was quite a piece of candy who could not take defeats so well... fun times then but quite some heat that drove players away also. I love the CS like it is a lot also. Esp. on the adv classes i cannot say there is too few competition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rodentwentyten said:

I've never heard of Powerwolf but I am now a new fan and have been listening to them nonstop on my playlist! Thanks for another great week of competition!!

Yeah, man! That´s so great about the CS - love bands now that i would have never even touched like: Muse, Rob Zombie, Powerwolf, A7X, Truckfighters, Wolfmother just to name a hand full (you should play all of those btw 😉 )

Rock!

Progress:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lettspacer.pngspacer.png

@ greven98 Have you played this song before, or was it a sight read?

@ Rodman Since you mentioned competition, I think I should be higher in the bass ranking. Also good point about playing stuff you wouldn't touch otherwise. I definitely would not even look at jpop before this week (not saying I'm gonna listen to it next week, but it does broaden the horizon a bit, and the bass part is fun).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nlbsmglsk said:

Progress:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lettspacer.pngspacer.png

@ greven98 Have you played this song before, or was it a sight read?

@ Rodman Since you mentioned competition, I think I should be higher in the bass ranking. Also good point about playing stuff you wouldn't touch otherwise. I definitely would not even look at jpop before this week (not saying I'm gonna listen to it next week, but it does broaden the horizon a bit, and the bass part is fun).

I sightread the rhythm first to get the sound of the song then sightread the lead part afterwards 😄

• Like 1

Not my favorite week but I like the advanced song so that works out. 

Gouge Away is pretty cool, just not all that interesting on bass. In general I don't enjoy easy songs with slides that don't register very well:

And this song is nice, I just got into the groove:

I played Wild Eyes for like 30 seconds and NOPE. I don't enjoy Japanese pop enough to endure that.

As for Powerwolf, I understand why some might like them, but as a native English speaker I find their lyrics and image very cringe-worthy and therefore I can't enjoy a song like Prayer in the Dark. It sounds like the kind of weird "look at me I'm edgy and anti-religion" stuff that appealed to me as a teenager but not as an adult. 

• Like 2