Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 394

3 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

And finally the advanced song... where some people think I should be... There was a lot of guessing...

37C2720A7C5A5040E41BB37E84BE411B4FB82B57

85% on your first try? That is around about where our scores are landing... (Well me and rodman anyway) My 93% was on a much easier version. You are underestimating yourself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HollyMakrell said:

i see we are playing different versions... Is the one I linked to in the song suggestion list no longer available? The version I am playing is a little more simplified...

Can you share the link to the SS list?

Edit: Ok I see my favorite version is no longer online. Big bummer because I am not keen on trying to master the current version... nut I will give it a try. If anyone wants an easier chart (and much better imho) let me know.

I never had a chance to see or test the old one before it was removed but I really enjoy this chart despite the difficulty. The note accuracy appears good to me. 

2 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

Not much (score-wise) progress today... 😞 But I've been thinking about this whole leveling problem. On one hand, I've been ruling the intermediate level for some time now. From that point of view I should get to the next level. But when I'm looking at the advanced level, it's clear to me that I can't really compete there. The top of the advanced level is often also above 95% in the masterclass level songs (as well as around 99% in advanced level). While I'm only above 95% in advanced class... now and then.
What I'm trying to say is, that either should there be an "in between" level for people like me (and Kayteck (no offence) 😉 ) or maybe some of the advanced people should be moving up more readily (The rule of 99,5% should maybe not apply to the top levels of bass).
It's nice to win now and then. That's not gonna happen for me any time soon with the advanced level.
(Yes, I know, it's just for fun, and that's why I often try the advanced song out).

On another note... I've also been thinking about the difficulty score of the songs. Maybe we could talk about the levels after the week is over... or a group of the championship managers (who do such a great job!). If the scores are lower for a song one week, then maybe it's because it was harder than usual. I noticed week 392 advanced Honey++ (Orange Coffee) had barely any competitors and rather low scores. The song was difficult 7... Two weeks before that we had Just a Girl (No doubt) where many of us (even I) had a score of 99%... also difficult 7. Ind hindsight Honey++ might have been quite a harder song than 7... (og Just a Girl was easier).
By looking at the scores afterwards it should be possible to asses the level more correct, and thus update the song list. 😉 Does it make sense?

I'm not English so I'm really straining my vocabulary around this note. 😛

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You make some good points on leveling, and I'm not sure what the answer is. If we're strict about leveling it might take us to a level of competitiveness and intensity that would keep some players away, but if we make it too loose it ends up with the same people winning repeatedly.

Regarding the difficulty score, what it comes down to is that the few of us who organize and do the selections (lately it's been mostly me, Rodman, and Mikson) just generally have time to select and test the songs, not to have a sort of conference or group discussion on each song's difficulty. Rating a song's difficulty is very subjective and depends on someone's experience, strengths and weaknesses, etc. Knowing that Honey++ had lower scores and therefore should have been rated a higher difficulty provides little to no help on rating other songs because different people rate the songs. I will say that I always take time to rate the bass charts as accurately as I can since I am a bassist, but even though I do that I know there will be differences of opinion. I think that's okay, as long as we can avoid egregious mistakes. But going through the whole song list to rate and re-rate songs is something I don't think any of us have time for right now, unfortunately. Still, your feedback won't hurt! 

• Like 2

Regarding Honey ++, this song was suggested and initially rated 7 by @coldrampage. I checked it and found the rating to be good - hard advanced, so 7, maybe 7.5. During the week I got 97% and won because it turned out to be more difficult for the others.

Earlier, Just a Girl was also rated 7, which for me was too high rating and scores confirmed it (many scores above 99%). So, as @jellisjenius wrote, a lot depends on personal preferences.

Btw. This is one of the reasons why I once created a worksheet called tested songs, so that more people could test a suggested songs and help with the rating, but no one does 😆

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:53 AM, Banjoclan said:

So how do you guys get solos like the end of this song down? If I have a song like "Every breath you take" by the Police I can slow it down really slow in RR and gradually work it up and get the muscle memory to get it. However, with the bends/taps/hammers in these type of solos, RR never recognizes everything so I find it very difficult. Any tips?

I do this a couple of ways, assuming I have time to play 🙂

1. Lower Tolerance

if playing a song slower in RR where recognition is not so good, I'll just set tolerance lower (if I feel I am playing things properly).

iwzbsJfa_o.jpg

Basically RR will allow mistakes and still speed you up.  You can dial back or up.

2. Guitar Pro

I use the "Rocksmith Custom Song toolkit" and generate a guitar pro file.  With this approach I can practice/loop very small sections.  In fact, the bulk of my "serious" song practice I do this way.

• Thanks 1

I tested this a long time ago and rated Lead too low. I achieved 91% on the first try, but I cannot improve this result 😕 Generally this song is a 5, but the final solo is difficult, which increases rating.

20210509120315-1.jpg

20210509121131-1.jpg

• Like 1

Figured I'd do a playthrough as it's easy to cheat with songs like this. Played on the 5 string bass path.
It gave me notes I probably should have gotten but then made me miss some notes I felt like it should have detected (maybe I was off-rhythm I dunno?) so I think it balances out, and at least it's honest where you can see where it gave me notes I didn't hit. 4th time playing the song, it's actually quite fun. Good luck to everyone else! I encourage you all to record yourself playing.
unknown.png

• Like 9

~~~~~~~{ayy lmao}~~~~~~~~

6 hours ago, HollyMakrell said:

85% on your first try? That is around about where our scores are landing... (Well me and rodman anyway) My 93% was on a much easier version. You are underestimating yourself.

LOL... i got 87% at 1st try... and after 1 hour of practice in RR it jumped up to 90%... I am wondering if 1 hour is worth that  3% 😄😫🙄. I was expecting more I have to admit 😮 

I don't know if I will be able to practice more this week due to injury.

• Sad 1

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer
14 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

Not much (score-wise) progress today... 😞 But I've been thinking about this whole leveling problem. On one hand, I've been ruling the intermediate level for some time now. From that point of view I should get to the next level. But when I'm looking at the advanced level, it's clear to me that I can't really compete there. The top of the advanced level is often also above 95% in the masterclass level songs (as well as around 99% in advanced level). While I'm only above 95% in advanced class... now and then.
What I'm trying to say is, that either should there be an "in between" level for people like me (and Kayteck (no offence) 😉 ) or maybe some of the advanced people should be moving up more readily (The rule of 99,5% should maybe not apply to the top levels of bass).
It's nice to win now and then. That's not gonna happen for me any time soon with the advanced level.
(Yes, I know, it's just for fun, and that's why I often try the advanced song out).

On another note... I've also been thinking about the difficulty score of the songs. Maybe we could talk about the levels after the week is over... or a group of the championship managers (who do such a great job!). If the scores are lower for a song one week, then maybe it's because it was harder than usual. I noticed week 392 advanced Honey++ (Orange Coffee) had barely any competitors and rather low scores. The song was difficult 7... Two weeks before that we had Just a Girl (No doubt) where many of us (even I) had a score of 99%... also difficult 7. Ind hindsight Honey++ might have been quite a harder song than 7... (og Just a Girl was easier).
By looking at the scores afterwards it should be possible to asses the level more correct, and thus update the song list. 😉 Does it make sense?

You are adressing quite some hot topics here. Where do i start!?

Adding another class is out of the question. Setting up weeks is a lot lot of work and adding another class would push it over the edge. Plus it is totally unnecessary. It would only lower the number of competing players in each class without any real benefit.

I´ve been in int/adv for years always with better players with no chance for a win. Did i belong to that classes - yes, was it fun - yes, did it make me better - yes, vastly.
Flipping through your performance - you are clearly an advanced bass player, and you can clearly compete with us here:

grafik.png

Back in 2015 when rules where much more basic there where weekly discussions and complains cause players were upleveled against their will without a chance of coming back (unless they would pause for 3 weeks). We have developed the system a lot and I personally have been fighting hard to make it very fair so that neither the individual player nor the class will have disadvantages of leveling rules. It´s very loose now and i think noone is forced to play a class he doesn´t want to be in.

In your case i really encourage you to take the challenge to jump over and try to kick us - it will make you try harder, you will try to get the one or the other .1% to get into the places, and your 1st adv win will be more satisfying than the weekly one in Int. Plus leveling up does in no way mean you shall stop competinbg against the INT classmates. It´s really fun to keep doing all songs and see how easier and well sounding the songs get on your personal progress. I think the perfect example is @MaZtoR - He has gone through all the classes here over the years, is a phenomenal player and masterclasser in all paths now and keeps playing all the songs of all classes every week.

"advanced people should be moving up more readily (The rule of 99,5% should maybe not apply to the top levels of bass)" - well i personally am a strikt oldschool upleveler, have never upleveled without hitting the limit, never will, but i have spent like 20hours in a week on a song to do it. And i will when i hit a 99.5 on a 7, though adv feels a lot more fitting then mc on bass right now.

I've also been thinking about the difficulty score of the songs. Maybe we could talk about the levels after the week is over... No, please!!!!!! - please please come up with your rating WITHIN the week!!!! that makes the competitioin better! But don´t shoot quick, if you think it´s wrong do a very aware playthrough and post your comment. On weekstarts i always try to write my personal song ratings on the 1st tries. All orgas do a sensational job in rating, and the ratings are done as objectively as possible. The rating does not (always) reflect the accuracy scores!!!!!!!!!!!!! Example... you have a hard walking bass 7 adv song, i will get 95 at the end of the week maybe, on the mc side we have an insane ProgMetalSong that has short close to Gog sections, clearly a 9 but it has 3000 notes with long connecting empty string runs which will lead to 98%, still song is unplayable for me, clearly a 9.
And yes, by discussing songs difficulties it is possible to get Classes Songs, Player Levels, the Level-Ups as perfect as possible!

Rock!

• Like 7

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

13 hours ago, HollyMakrell said:

If you by "landing" mean ending, then no. That is not where you and Rodman ends up. Well I can't say about you, It seems you haven't been here a while. 😉 But I can see Rodman ending up around 98-99% every week (along with others), on advanced level, and then around 92% to 95% in masterclass. Scores that are somewhat beyond my capabilities.

7 minutes ago, Rodman said:

You are adressing quite some hot topics here. Where do i start!?

PS: I deleted most of the quote to not use so much space. 😉 But hank you for a great answer.
Showing "Just a girl" as the example is not the best. 😉 That song was quite overrated. I'm usually around at least 2% after the top-group of the advanced class.

I agree, that you (organizers) make quite a big work for everybody around here. I'm very grateful. 🙂  And I don't think you should put more work in to it. Let's keep it simple. Maybe I should just accept, that I'm "between levels" for now.
I can see there is a good competition in advanced level. It's just a bit over my level... and most of you is also making quite good scores in masterclass. Though you (again) can't really compete with the top of masterclass.

About the difficulty: My thoughts were to make a more "objective assessment". 😉 By looking at the scores for a week (when a new one begins). I can't really tell if a song is difficulty 7 or 8, because I'm out on a limp all ready. I looks crazy and very very difficult. But by doing it afterwards it's neutral and more "as a matter of fact". "Just a girl" had quite a lot of players around the top, while Honey++ did not have many. And a lot gave up on the song. It's not about changing anything doing the competition, just a suggestion to note a reevaluation in the song list, based on the results from a competition.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

I see where you're coming from but I would encourage you to try harder to get a higher score in the advanced ranking.
You're a bit of a black sheep, maybe too good for intermediate but struggling a little with advanced... though I don't think your level should mean that you are consistently getting 90s the whole time, and I don't expect myself to get 90s in master class either. As the difficulty of songs go up so do the complexity of the techniques, if you notice a pattern of things you fail at then I'd encourage you to practice it and practice it, it could mean the difference of that 10% you're looking for 😉 . Finally I don't think any of us will get better without challenging ourselves, if intermediate is too easy for you then you will not get much better playing on that level. People ask me how I've gotten as far as I have in only 4 years of bass through Rocksmith and I tell them this, "Challenge yourself. When you're uncomfortable it means you are growing as a person, it's a good thing."

• Like 3

~~~~~~~{ayy lmao}~~~~~~~~

I can see, I'm not the only "black sheep" here. Kayteck is in quite the same situation. Though he doesn't make quite the fuss about it. 😉
I think the thing, that annoys me the most, is people think I should get more challenges, and It's the right level for me (and so on). All those arguments also holds for the top group in the advanced class. For the exact same reasons the top 5 (or so) should advance from advanced to the masterclass. "To get more challenges".
The main difference between me and the top 5(-ish) is, I'm (almost) the only one with the problem, while they are 5(-ish). And I think they've been there for quite a while... ready for challenges. 😛  (They do already manage some quite good scores on masterclass).
To be fair, I do understand the top group of the advanced class, for they would be in the same situation as me, if they were forced to move up. They wouldn't win in the masterclass, and thus it's much more fun to compete at this level. And because they are a group, they still get to compete with each other. So while I "ruled" the intermediate in the end, so will they rule the advanced class with me (and Kaytech) as an appendix.
When it comes to levels: Yes, we are missing an "in between"-level, but I can fully understand that the organizers don't want more complication (and thus work).
I respect that.

So the solution is rather simple. Since I'm the only one (almost) with this problem, I must "submit" and accept, that I'll either be annoying if I insist in being intermediate or at the bottom of the advanced group for quite some time (and thus somewhat out of the competition in reality for a while).

Though I'm also in this "competition" for other reasons. First of all I get to play music, i didn't know existed. Great music I didn't know before (this week is also great, btw). And I do get challenges (not only the music it self). I try to get higher scores, because I post them here, so I compare with my own scores (to know if I should post the same song again). I try to challenge my self harder. Those things will not change.

So thank you for this competition. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful!

• Like 2

And the scores for today... Actually the beginner bonus is from yesterday. It's a rather easy song... difficulty 2 I agree.

5DB137DA91E286DE79FD3BC9017DAB18AA775EEC

To day I got a nice score with beginners song, but I think it's a bit above difficulty 3... maybe 4 or even 4,5. It could be because there is problems with the recognition.

591810AC05010D91F08CB9BDBEE0F9955DFA72DD

The River is a nice song. And is challenging for me as well. I'd say level 5.

31C7C82B48817B3947DE84EFDEB4F1E5FA12CC8B

And finally the Dani California. I forgot to take a screenshot but after quite a lot of practice I got the accuracy up to 88%. There is quite a long way... Ther'll be screenshots later on. 🙂

• Like 1