Rocksmith 2014 Championship Week 385

Welcome to the CF Rocksmith 2014 Championship!

-= Week 385 =-

FAQ: => How and Why join the Championships?

=> Rocksmith 2014 Championships rules

Last week's winners:

Lead:

Rhythm:

Bass:

Congrats to all winners. Well done!

Rocksmith Championship Leaderboard

This week's songs are:

Lead Path:

Beginner:   The Sugarcubes - Birthday (3) my choice

Intermediate:   Tom Waits - Make It Rain (5) chosen by @SpankNass

Advanced:  Pearl Jam - Rats (7) my choice

Masterclass: Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom (9) chosen by @Nacholede

God of Guitar:  Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn (10) chosen by @johnal week 2 of 2

Rhythm Path:

Beginner: The Sugarcubes - Birthday (3)

Intermediate: Pearl Jam - Rats (4)

Advanced: Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom (6)

Masterclass: Protest the Hero - Turn Soonest to the Sea (9) chosen by @Snakewizard (Drop D version available here) (note: will be next up on GoG for lead in weeks 386-387)

Bass Path:

Beginner: Tom Waits - Make It Rain (3)

Beginner Bonus: The Sugarcubes - Birthday (2)

Intermediate: Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom (5)

Advanced: Pearl Jam - Rats (6.5)

Masterclass: Protest the Hero - Turn Soonest to the Sea (8)

God of Bass:  Metallica - (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (9.5) chosen by @Nacholede week 2 of 2

Share with us your opinion on this weeks songs difficulty scores (1-10).

Classless, Fearless FreeBird Members in their endless battle with the fb police:

Let us know your opinions on the accuracy of the difficulty scores (1-10) for this week's songs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jellisjenius said:
  •     Masterclass:  Snakewizard and coldrampage tie for the win!

Ranking is done by percentage first, then by Longest Streak and in the case of a tie the tiebreaker will be the actual score in Score Attack

Snake got a higher score in SA so he wins (or is this only for 100%'s?)

• Like 2

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

Sometimes I wonder if the difficulty values are compared. In this week I must insist (for the bass path), that Tom Waits is by far the easiest (max level 2). And I have a feeling, that the original might have used some higher strings, but okay anyway. My first play through:

5F17EDACFA75E6635492AD0A2241885FF06EE640

I can get it right in a few days. The bonus beginner was also nice and only slightly more difficult than Tom... maybe 2.5.

4856CE51D8E062A25519905F746A8C59C64D8878

And then came Sabaton. I really like Sabaton, but this has not much to do with intermediate level. It's stupid fast. If I'm going to get a good score on this, it would be pure luck, rather than the actual rhythm. Second, more often than not, Sabaton uses B standard tuning (or rather a 5 stringed bass), so all the yellow 2nd frets should be a loose B string (making it quite a lot easier to play (since I have 5 strings)).

I'll have another go with it tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes for learning it. It is by far more difficult (in my opinion) than last weeks advanced song!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

Sometimes I wonder if the difficulty values are compared. In this week I must insist (for the bass path), that Tom Waits is by far the easiest (max level 2). And I have a feeling, that the original might have used some higher strings, but okay anyway. My first play through:

5F17EDACFA75E6635492AD0A2241885FF06EE640

I can get it right in a few days. The bonus beginner was also nice and only slightly more difficult than Tom... maybe 2.5.

4856CE51D8E062A25519905F746A8C59C64D8878

And then came Sabaton. I really like Sabaton, but this has not much to do with intermediate level. It's stupid fast. If I'm going to get a good score on this, it would be pure luck, rather than the actual rhythm. Second, more often than not, Sabaton uses B standard tuning (or rather a 5 stringed bass), so all the yellow 2nd frets should be a loose B string (making it quite a lot easier to play (since I have 5 strings)).

I'll have another go with it tomorrow, but I don't have high hopes for learning it. It is by far more difficult (in my opinion) than last weeks advanced song!

You don't need to wonder, you are welcome to ask and communicate with the people doing selections, or simply offer what you think the level should be. It's unfair and unnecessary to suggest that we are not comparing levels. I personally tested every bass chart this week, and even "tested" lead and rhythm paths by watching them in RS or on YT playthroughs so I could validate the levels. When a song is requested in the SSL sheet, the requester provides their ratings and then others can test. For example, Seven Pillars of Wisdom was originally rated a 3 difficulty on bass. When I tested it, I found it to be clearly higher but not quite advanced level as I got over 99% on my sightread. I was using a pick, which is generally my preference for Sabaton tracks, and I can see why finger picking it would make it harder.

You also should consider that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses that affect their perception of difficulty. I have no issue with 16th note strumming and even 32nd note strumming but can sometimes get tripped up by fast string jumping or notes on the higher (15+) frets. Last week you complained about the Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus bass chart as if the game just wasn't recognizing your playing, but no one else seemed to have a problem with that. You also complained about The Gold rhythm being "off" but I'm certain the chart was correct, and again no one else seemed to find fault with it other than the fact that it's just a bit trickier to play a 6/8 time signature when you're used to 4/4.

Anyway, I don't have strong feelings about the Make It Rain difficulty, but I'm not sure how you can argue that Seven Pillars of Wisdom should be ranked more difficult than The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg. Maybe try a pick if you haven't already?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jellisjenius said:

You don't need to wonder, you are welcome to ask and communicate with the people doing selections, or simply offer what you think the level should be. It's unfair and unnecessary to suggest that we are not comparing levels. I personally tested every bass chart this week, and even "tested" lead and rhythm paths by watching them in RS or on YT playthroughs so I could validate the levels. When a song is requested in the SSL sheet, the requester provides their ratings and then others can test. For example, Seven Pillars of Wisdom was originally rated a 3 difficulty on bass. When I tested it, I found it to be clearly higher but not quite advanced level as I got over 99% on my sightread. I was using a pick, which is generally my preference for Sabaton tracks, and I can see why finger picking it would make it harder.

You also should consider that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses that affect their perception of difficulty. I have no issue with 16th note strumming and even 32nd note strumming but can sometimes get tripped up by fast string jumping or notes on the higher (15+) frets. Last week you complained about the Brooklyn Bridge to Chorus bass chart as if the game just wasn't recognizing your playing, but no one else seemed to have a problem with that. You also complained about The Gold rhythm being "off" but I'm certain the chart was correct, and again no one else seemed to find fault with it other than the fact that it's just a bit trickier to play a 6/8 time signature when you're used to 4/4.

Anyway, I don't have strong feelings about the Make It Rain difficulty, but I'm not sure how you can argue that Seven Pillars of Wisdom should be ranked more difficult than The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg. Maybe try a pick if you haven't already?

Good answers. 🙂 My wondering was a kind of asking, not to be taken as complaining. 😉 But I was frustrated, because the to first songs were so rather easy, and my own level so damn far from my level.

My complaining of the slides has nothing to do with the organizers. It's just annoying, like when people complain about Drop D not being recognized (that I seldom have problems with).

I think you are right, that the The Gold was 6/8, but it was not noted in 6/8, but rather 6/4, meaning the (small) lines were on the 1st, 3rd and 5th note and so on (the semiquavers/8th notes), while it should have been on 1st, 4th etc. It helped me a lot, when I began listening more. 😉 One of my strenghs is to read notes and play rhythms (based on the notes), so when it's of (visually) I get it wrong. But now it's so last week. 😛

But yes, you have a point with different strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes I print a note-version to get a visual overview...
I am a long way from playing with a pick. Never really learned it.

I think that The Reincarnation of... is more simple.  in many ways. But it could have to do with the fore mentioned strengths and weaknesses. Out of curiosity it could be nice to know what others think of a comparison of those two songs.

• Like 2

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer
8 hours ago, jellisjenius said:

That's what I thought as well but I was told score is only a tiebreaker for 100% scores. @Rodman did I understand you correctly?

@coldrampage@Snakewizard Yeah, it was and is good practice to score by acc, then streak, in case of 100% also score, in case below we ignore the score and have two winners - quite stupid and hard to defend, yeah i know. Sorry it´s just the way.
Of course not - there is an easy explanation - when multiple players reach 100 within the week they still have something to fight for - the score to get the crown that´s called "100 battle" (oh my where is @MilkManDan). In case there is no 100 that´s still the room for improvement.

But those cases are rare rare rare, if you like one winner rather - let us know (litte fun fact: for the 10-weeks leaderboard, as there is some auto-calculation the one being on top is given 10 points. the 2nd winner 5)

Rock!

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

4 hours ago, Orkkongen said:

Good answers. 🙂 My wondering was a kind of asking, not to be taken as complaining. 😉 But I was frustrated, because the to first songs were so rather easy, and my own level so damn far from my level.

My complaining of the slides has nothing to do with the organizers. It's just annoying, like when people complain about Drop D not being recognized (that I seldom have problems with).

I think you are right, that the The Gold was 6/8, but it was not noted in 6/8, but rather 6/4, meaning the (small) lines were on the 1st, 3rd and 5th note and so on (the semiquavers/8th notes), while it should have been on 1st, 4th etc. It helped me a lot, when I began listening more. 😉 One of my strenghs is to read notes and play rhythms (based on the notes), so when it's of (visually) I get it wrong. But now it's so last week. 😛

But yes, you have a point with different strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes I print a note-version to get a visual overview...
I am a long way from playing with a pick. Never really learned it.

I think that The Reincarnation of... is more simple.  in many ways. But it could have to do with the fore mentioned strengths and weaknesses. Out of curiosity it could be nice to know what others think of a comparison of those two songs.

Discussion about the diff votes is always welcome, keep those coming.
Good answers @jellisjenius

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-

7, yeah

40703228aw.jpg

• Like 1

8 for me - the ending section of the solo is way fast and 9, but thats only like 2 seconds

such a cool song - i recommend the CDLC from @Nacholede of the whole album (!) to anyone, an hour of playing fun all paths

40703340ej.jpg

• Like 3

just lovely

40703403rn.jpg

• Like 1

40703503yv.jpg

• Like 2

oof
tvnJXye.png

bass isn't too bad
hTPoJZw.png

had to give this one a go too
vGF7QqR.png

• Like 1

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

i think i´d go 7 here, it´s so un6

40704531hh.jpg

• Like 1

not easy, but waaay cooler to play than on guitar for me

40704592ei.jpg

• Like 1

hah! what a cool song! 8, exactly

40704683gk.jpg

• Like 1

i´ll be back for those fresh sounding guys

40704746fy.jpg

• Like 2

what a cool week, 3 yeah

40704771zo.jpg

• Like 1

a hard 5, yeah - you master that, you jump to adv

40704797yq.jpg

• Like 2