Smashing Pumpkins

Yeah they also played Snail on the Mexico City date the other day, so that would be pretty great if they play it again..

They also just announced a fall tour with Jane's Addiction

Just saw that announcement last night.  Never was a Jane's Addiction fan.  But they will be about 2 1/2 hours from me next week and I am working on being able to fit it in.   From the dates I saw, I think its cool they are playing some off the normal touring path venues.   It has to be way more difficult to get those things set up than just playing major cities, but I respect the bands that do that. 

Same here really. I actually can't name a single Jane's Addiction song I've ever really liked... I suppose it would be kinda cool to see them just to have seen them, but I don't really care that much. Tickets are looking pretty expensive as well, so I may skip this one. As much as I'd like to see the Pumpkins again, if they are going to split the time with another band I don't care about, that's a lot of money for probably crappy seats.... 

When they play as the only headliner, the shows are generally quite long and well worth it. If its anything like the last tour, that one had quite an impressive themed stage show as well.

I agree about the different venues. I'm seeing them in the Ozarks and its an amphitheater that I guess is kinda out in the woods. May be stormy weather, so we'll see how that goes...

Hope you get to go! 

Also:
Beatmapped Cherry and Rocket - should have Cherry done soon and maybe Rocket also

I keep starting new charts before finishing what I'm already working on...

oh, cool! I usually don't like outside venues much because they're usually too big and the sound is bad but I've heard this one is smaller and pretty nice with good sound. I've never been myself before though. I'm in Springfield, so a bit farther from STL but still only a couple hours drive to Camdenton

3 hours ago, dt7667 said:

I keep meaning to ask.....your tones are very solid.  Did you get to be able to do that through trial and error, or do you have an audio background?

Thanks - I've been doing music production since I was a teenager, although I didn't really understand audio processing very well until I was a bit older. I do have a lot of background with audio processing from writing music and producing with hardware/computer. It definitely comes in handy when trying to figure stuff out - one of the tricks I use is to load the original song audio into my audio program and slap a graphic EQ on it, then I play with different frequencies to see where the sweet spots are on the guitar sounds to get a better idea of exactly what's going on.

The main problem I'm always running into is just how the RS emulation sounds though - having a lot of distortion and mid-high range frequencies tends to always sound harsh and digital no matter what you try to do with it. In more recent CDLCs, I've tended to start totally reducing all the high range freqs even if it doesn't totally match the original song because it just sounds better a lot of times.

A lot of the FX I've found to be almost unusable for hi gain tones because although they help get the sound, they always make it way more harsh - like the phaser and flangers. Which sucks because these FX are heavily used on Pumpkins lead solos

Then other times, I've matched the guitar tone to the song pretty well but you can't really hear it when you're playing because it mixes into the song too much... so you have to kinda make it a bit different

Yeah, over the past year or so I have been working with self-recording and learning about mixing.  I actually did Nail the Mix for a bit just to get into the finer points of audio work.  I have noticed that the more I learn to really hear what is going on, the less I enjoy RS because the harshness you were talking about is almost unbearable.  But I figured you had some background because your tones are better than a very large majority of CDLC...not just getting the effect(s) right but the EQ and the smoothness to the sounds.  

I hadn't heard of Nail the Mix before but that looks interesting for sure. There are definitely a lot of good resources online now for learning this stuff, including some career professionals with youtube channels explaining a lot of stuff. Back when I started, it was virtually impossible to find this info and I had no idea what the hell I was doing... pretty amazing how much access there is now, really.... still, mixing is a very nuanced and difficult subject. Its so easy to spend entire days trying to do a good mix and you come back to it the next day and it sounds terrible...

But yeah, I'm never satisfied with the RS tones because after hours of tweaking CDLCs and playing, my ears take a beating from the harshness. Its definitely a problem with RS because some of the official DLC has some of the worst tones I've played... 

I actually just got a super good deal on a used LIne6 Pod GO which is basically a smaller version of the Helix multi-fx/amp sim unit, and it sounds incredible. It can also be used as a full audio interface on the computer via USB. Once I get it all dialed in and setup properly, I think I am going to start using just it to play Rocksmith and turn the game sound off. 

Rhinoceros uploaded

https://ignition4.customsforge.com/cdlc/68652

edit: Gotta revise the bass part and some of the guitar bits. UG Official tab is not up to spec. May also have to redo the whole chart cus I just realized the recent Deluxe Gish remaster has louder audio with clearer sound on all the parts, and would work a lot better for CDLC purposes

re-edit: just uploaded v1.5 with entirely new bass part, sounds correct now!

working on another update to fix some slight guitar things like the solo starting at 4th fret on G instead of 9th fret on D

welp, ending up re-transcribing some sections of the guitar parts... after watching several live videos, some sections of the UG tab didn't match and although they work, I also thought they sounded a bit off when I was playing them. Might still keep the UG rhythm part as an alternate track, cus its kind of like the easier way to play it in these sections. Was hoping to get the next version up tonight but my heads getting a bit burnt out , and I still have to make a couple more bass corrections and looking like I may need to rework the tones a bit as well

edit: went ahead and re-beatmapped the deluxe audio and all the revisions have been completed (I think) so I just need to do the final touches 

I think I've finally finished up some extensive rewriting of both guitar parts and bass part on Rhinoceros. Large sections of the tab are entirely redone now and I'm pretty sure this will be the most accurate tab available at this point. Not sure if I will get the new version up tonight or not - here's the revised tab if anyone's interested:

https://mega.nz/file/GZ1XUB5C#Mpw1zk4NhlE2S76JYEYJdAl51pUCj-iJ2i0A8TUDq1Y

I tell you what would be super cool....if perhaps you know someone who could put together CDLC for "Love" and/or "An Ode to No One".    I was thinking Ode had one but it wasn't very good...but checking, I don't think anyone anyone ever did one.  And it is such a  fun song to play.  

I'm surprised that Ode to No One is not on here yet. I also coulda sworn I downloaded it previously but I checked my backups and its not there... its possible it was so bad that I just deleted it since I don't tend to keep really bad customs.

Also, thanks to feedback from user @Conichito on the Rhinoceros bass tab being totally off, I'm going to start paying a lot more attention to the bass parts and re-transcribing when necessary. I've been neglecting giving much attention to verifying the bass tabs since I don't play much bass, but probably going to go back over my old CDLCs for needed corrections - if any bass players have any notes for me, let me know!

Also let me know if any guitar parts need updating since I've been learning how to do things better since I first started. Some of the older CDLCs could use some cleaning up like I know the solo in Mayonaise has some notes that need to have the settings changed to display properly

Updated some stuff on Quiet - proper FHPs, corrected some wrong solo notes, new lead and bass tones

https://ignition4.customsforge.com/cdlc/67659

I also need to study some more live videos bc I see that after the solo, the other guitars seem to be playing single note riffs instead of that octave riff on the D/B strings which is in the tab/main lead part

2:22 in this vid:

Playing through Rhinoceros again tonight and along with my new Sword CDLC, and the distortion tones are pretty bright and harsh... seem to have lost that smoothness somewhere along the lines.. guess I need to rework these tones

It gets hard to make a lower end distortion that is loud and you can hear over the song when the songs have super maxed out volume/distortion already. I guess I might just have to start boosting the guitar tone volume up louder than the song to make up for it cus these bright ass tones are killing my ears in headphones

2 hours ago, dt7667 said:

I see Color of Your Love is up for bass.  Thats a newer song I actually enjoy.  Any chance on the guitar being added?

Its in progress right now. There was a super sparse guitar part in the UG tab but it doesn't have the guitar solo or the other guitar riffs they play live. I think the riffs are played on synth in the album version but there is still a guitar solo so I don't know why they didn't include at least that in their "high quality" paid tab. They also botched up the bass part... at this point I'm not trusting UG official stuff at all

But yeah, I've got a slew of videos from recent performances downloaded and I'm going to work out the guitar parts for the next update. 

I'm also charting & re-tabbing Luna

Since I've been focusing on a lot of bass work lately, I've realized how much some of my older bass tones sucked and even still, I am not yet very great at designing bass tones. My experience with bass playing in general is extremely limited. If anyone has better bass tones for any of my CDLCs, please send them over and I will include them... I am working on updating CDLCs that need better bass tones like Quiet, Perfect and others

10 hours ago, arrov said:

Since I've been focusing on a lot of bass work lately, I've realized how much some of my older bass tones sucked and even still, I am not yet very great at designing bass tones. My experience with bass playing in general is extremely limited. If anyone has better bass tones for any of my CDLCs, please send them over and I will include them... I am working on updating CDLCs that need better bass tones like Quiet, Perfect and others

Yeah it is crazy to me how I've played guitar for 30 years and within the past year or so, when working on audio mixing, it occurred to me "what does the bass sound like anyway?"  It just another rabbit hole for me to chase as well.