White screen under Big Sur?

Nick Beat

Question

Hoping this is the correct place to ask this....

I haven't used RS2014 in a month or two, so not sure, but I upgraded my Mac to Big Sur last week and I just now notice that RS comes up with audio only and a white screen. I get the impression searching the net that this is pretty much the state of affairs at the moment: not compatible.

Can other Mac users confirm/deny or have a fix?

Thanks

PS I have a ticket in a Ubisoft. If/when I get a response, I'll advise here.

13 answers to this question

2 hours ago, nick_beat said:

Hoping this is the correct place to ask this....

I haven't used RS2014 in a month or two, so not sure, but I upgraded my Mac to Big Sur last week and I just now notice that RS comes up with audio only and a white screen. I get the impression searching the net that this is pretty much the state of affairs at the moment: not compatible.

Can other Mac users confirm/deny or have a fix?

Thanks

PS I have a ticket in a Ubisoft. If/when I get a response, I'll advise here.

Can confirm, made the same mistake myself. In order to fix it you have to either use another computer or reinstall Catalina, which is a real pain but that’s what I did. Works like it used to now. 

@actionjackson764 Thanks for the response.

Going back to Catalina isn't really an option for a number of reasons, but I discovered after not being able to do it in the past that I could get RS running under Windows 10 and Parallels VM as long as I replied "Always allow" to the security question. Not great, but at least can play the official stuff for now.

The irony is, this is my personal machine which I use for work, since the university-provided Windows craptop is ... well ... a craptop. But given the toolkit issues, I may gradually move my CDLC to Windows on the work machine, which I don't use for anything else...!!!

Let's hope this gets patched. Hard to say, as development on RS is at an end. But support isn't quite the same thing, so we can hope!

• Like 1

@actionjackson764

I've received the first response from Ubisoft support. As expected, we have to wade through the baloney steps first, but that's a start.

Here's what I was asked to do:

1. Launch Steam.
2. Select the Library tab at the top of the window.
3. Right- or (if using a Mac) control-click the game title in the list on the left.
4. Select "Properties".
5. On the Local Files tab, select "Verify Integrity of Game Cache".

I didn't expect much to happen, particularly as I'd already purged and re-downloaded, but hey, go through the motions so that I can respond.

In any case, it came back as fully verified.

Note, btw, that in step number 3 they seem to have Mac and Windows backwards and in step #5 it actually says "game files" 🙂

I will continue to post updates in the hope that this may be of use to others here, particularly if we get a fix. They claim they are working on it, btw.

I got the next reply from Ubisoft today.

They offered no further help and just repeated that they were looking into it.

Since it said they’d close the case if I didn’t reply within four days, I replied with no further information also, just to keep the ticket open.

I guess we’re just going to play tag for a while. At the moment, Ubisoft is ‘it’.

Last update until/unless something changes.

Ubisoft has said:

If you have been advised to await an update, rest assured that your ticket has been filed such that we will be able to reach out to you if and when new information becomes available. Thanks for your patience!

which I guess basically means "wait, out."

So we wait. I will check on the game and ping them every so often, maybe weekly, see what's up.

Incidentally, I'm not sure the search engine for the forums works here, because searching any combination of "Big Sur" turns up nothing. Unless of course it eliminates my own contributions and I'm the only one who has said anything....

sorry its been a while.  How do you then get CDLC files to work?  I don't have a white screen anymore but all of my CDLC songs let me tune then never show the notes or start the song.

neeeever mind.  For anyone that might not remember, you have to run the patch each new install. found below

Edited by projectorbach
figured out issue
  • Like 2

@firekornThanks for the note, I'll check it out.

I just got one more response from Ubisoft, which I was just about to post. Here's what they say, FWIW:

We greatly appreciate you reporting this issue. Please be aware that we have forwarded the information to the development team, and they are in the process of investigating the issue.

Until this issue is addressed by the development team, there is no additional troubleshooting that we can provide. We do not receive any information pertaining to possible patches until they are released and have no further information in that regard.
You can find notifications regarding patches or known issues on our forums here: 
http://forums.ubi.com/forum.php

We thank you for your patience and understanding. 

Just a quick note to confirm that I got it going, though it did take a few steps, as follows:

1. instal the beta (go to Rocksmith in Steam and it shows up there)
  2. I discovered that I was past the white screen problem, but I could not type in the search box, among other things, so I followed the bullet points at https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/2302103-Rocksmith-and-the-Big-Sur-Update-for-MacOS. This was not altogether straightforward as there was in fact no entry for me under Accessibility, so I created one.
  3. That got me past the problem with the search box, but I was not able to tune the guitar; it didn't complain that the cable wasn't plugged in, but nothing happened either. So, on the same page I linked to above, it says a little further down that if one still has issues, do a full re-installation of RS. I did that....

It all seems to work fine, now, as far as the standard RS is concerned. I've not yet applied the patch for CDLC; I was just happy I could use it at all!!! I'll try the patch when I have some time.

So we seem to be back in business, now. I assume there will be an official update at some point (unless it was past beta and that was it...?).

I've got the Official Update as of Yesterday , now the game and the official content works , sadly all CDLC's freeze the game ,

Edit : 

**** RESOLVED ****

Basicly I reapplied the patch and it worked  😃 my bad 

see here for the original source of that info :

*legends may sleep, but they never die*

Basicly I reapplied the patch and it worked  😃 my bad 

@firaty I was wondering about that 🙂 so maybe mine will be fine too, once I get around to that...!! (You are using Big Sur, now, right? A bit confusing because your paste says Mojave...)

Yep I am at BigSur version 11.0.1 ..... I just borrowed the idea from that Mojave Thread, hence the link.. I could not have been so happier, Since Covid Restrictions playing with a band is something I can't do for the last 9 months so Rocksmith is my only band at the moment ..

• Like 1

*legends may sleep, but they never die*

@firaty Thanks for that. Thanks to my great luck, I've never had a circle of anyone who plays musical instruments, so RS has been my only band ever. I actually just found a drummer et al. who lives not 20 mins from here who is happy to get together with me and jam (bonus!) but of course, now with COVID we can't.

It's a conspiracy....!