Note Sustain stops working

jstma

Hello,

For some reason, note sustains stop showing up in EOF.  The score is being imported from TuxGuitar.

Here's the score (specifically the last two measures):

And this is what EOF is showing after import:

https://www.mediafire.com/view/i0yvo511ojkaw16/eof.png/file

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

It's something to do with sustains only being applied to notes over a certain length (has to be over a quarter I think).

You can force a sustain by making it a tie note in your tab software or just adjust them in eof by selecting them and using the scroll wheel or [ ] keys.

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

It's something to do with sustains only being applied to notes over a certain length (has to be over a quarter I think).

You can force a sustain by making it a tie note in your tab software or just adjust them in eof by selecting them and using the scroll wheel or [ ] keys.

Thanks for the tip.  Had a peek in the source code to see why this might be so.

There is an option in the Import/Export preferences.  It's called "GP Import truncates short notes".  Checked by default I guess.

I unchecked it and redid the import.  Everything shows up properly.

Does anyone know why this option would be set this way by default?  Or any reason why I shouldn't just leave it always unchecked?

• Administrator

It is set by default because that's how all official DLC are by default too, that's the general rule to apply in regards to sustain on single note.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I don't play Rocksmith (my kids do), so I lack perspective.  In my opinion, if this particular score is not played with the correct note durations, it would sound incredibly wrong.

If I choose to disable the option to truncate short notes, are there undesirable side effects?  Just trying to understand why this "general rule" might be so.  I can certainly understand it being hard to see what's going on without truncated notes in busy passages, but I don't think that's an issue here.

I built a cdlc with note trunction and had my kids play test the song.  They complained about it not sounding right, but they also helped transcribe it so they're quite familiar with it.  I also built a cdlc without note truncation and had them play test the song.  It didn't crash the game or cause any weirdness and there were no complaints.

I guess I'm looking for guidance on when it's appropriate to disable short note truncation.  I haven't heard that it should never be done, but at the same time I'm not seeing encouragement to do it.

Oh and since "general rules" were mentioned, would there happen to be a list somewhere?

• Administrator

@@jstma the biggest undesirable effet of having sustain everywhere is that it makes reading it messire as you have more clutter on the screen that doesn't actually indicate vital information for the readability and playability of the song. It won't crash or anything and like any rule like this, they are exception that are worth doing. It's up to you and to see how it looks and play to know what's best but that option is there because 99% of the time, that's how it is usually done so someone used to official content will be used to that.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity