I may be the only one, but i dislike live versions for Rocksmith

reignofcrimson

Question

Ive never been a real fan of live recordings as  i am partial to the original mix to most music i listen to (Metal, Hard rock, Alternative) it bothers me because sometimes the vocals or the insturmentals are muddy/missing/improvised but there are those rare occasions where the live version is better than the original

example Pantera Cemetery Gates

but for me unless you are there it just falls flat. so when it comes to the CDLC it seems pointless to use a live often improvised track for this game. most of us heard or listen to the original studio recordings as is and even the releases that Ubisoft drops are all studio cuts so why use a live version?

• Like 4

18 answers to this question

I'm not sure as I haven't played any live versions, but I figure it would be harder to chart them anyway.

It's true though that some live versions are simply leaps and bounds better: Fear of the Dark would be my prime example.

• Like 1

• Administrator

It really depends on how the band record their live version. Some live album are almost as good as or even better than studio album but it's not always the case.

I've made a live version for Only for the Weak because it's was tabbed very well, well recorded but doing both version (live and studio) could be a good way to let people choose what they want to play.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Depends on the recording. For example, Motorhead's No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith is a fairly sloppy affair. For almost all the tracks, I'd probably prefer, for DLC, studio arrangements. It would, however, be interesting at least to see the version of Ace Of Spades that Motorhead played on No Sleep At All(or the one used on their appearance on The Young Ones), with Wurzel and Phil Campbell on guitar.

Which raises another issue with live tracks - particularly with bands that have had lineup changes, which one do you use?

One other thing that's worth mentioning is that many album tracks fade out at the end, something which I've personally never seen a band do live. As an example, the GnR song Nightrain - album version fades out in an outro solo, whereas live, the solo finishes, and an end chorus played.

I think people should chart the version they prefer. If other people would choose differently, then we should pull our fingers out and get charting ourselves.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree with you. I feel the studio mix is the way the artists intended the song to be heard, and the live version is kind of them experimenting more with the song. That's not to say I don't enjoy live recordings, but I feel for music games the studio version is better.Also, you have to deal with the annoying crowd with live versions :P

• Like 1

I just feel the live version is them often just giving a shit. Often enough the stiudio recordings sound flat and joyless while the same songs live are totally different beasts. Going so far that i only bought live albums of certain artists because their studio work is so blant.

• Like 1

Typically you'd never find a tab for a live version of something anyway, and if there is one, it's because it was something special. I would like to hear someone sincerely say that the Joe Satriani's Memories is better on Not of This Earth than the live version is on Dreaming #11, for example.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I just feel the live version is them often just giving a shit. Often enough the stiudio recordings sound flat and joyless while the same songs live are totally different beasts. Going so far that i only bought live albums of certain artists because their studio work is so blant.

The way I'm looking at it is this - I'm using these to learn the song. As soon as I'm comfortable playing a song outside of Rocksmith, I can embellish and throw my 2 cents in at that time. But I'd like to learn how it's done bare-bones first.

• Like 3

@@noahfence. I think that was the version of One from S&M album. Certainly not a 'live' album of the original.

S&M IMHO worked very well for some of the songs and badly for others. The orchestra felt like a last minute addition - which, of course, it was.. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Something else to consider, in the case of groups with a single guitarist, is that the live version of a song allows you to learn how the guitarist himself would choose to arrange the guitar parts, free of overdubs.

As a matter of fact, when I chart a song, I try to pick all the best/most prominent guitar parts and distill them down to what I think the guitarist would play live. I had to do that with Computer Blue, as a matter of fact, cos that song has overdubs all over the place.....but that just means there's always something to do! :D

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I have been to a couple concerts where all the bands instruments are hooked into some computer stuff that records all the sound output so that the live instruments sound just as clear as a studio recording and then they can have the crowd too in that way the live recording would still make a great custom I think since there is no muddy or quality loss on the instruments.

• Administrator

Honestly if you can 100% say the song is identical to the tab or you can figure the differences out go ahead but if you are totally on a loss and let the player play something totally different, don't bother.

That's available for any version, live or not.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

So we've determined that this is up to your preference. Some people prefer the solid, original, engineered sound of the studio, while some of us enjoy the spontaneous, improvisational, full-of-life live performances. Both sides have their benefits so I say again, why not both?

Do bands have one version that is more complex for studio recordings since they can stop/start, splice, etc. and a simpler one for live shows so they don't have to remember as much and it would be harder to play if your bouncing around on stage.