Backup your save file!!!!! Or risk going back to zero.

Joe

Question

I just had RS2014 crash. No biggee, it happens from time to time, right? Wrong.

When I restarted RS2014 I got the message that my save file was corrupted. So, I'm now zeroed out in EVERYTHING like I've never played the game before. And I've played A LOT.

:angry:

Bummer.

Which brings up a couple of points:

1) BACK UP YOUR SAVE FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Where is the aforementioned save file located so that I/we can back it up occasionally so that this never happens to me or anyone else again?

3) And, I think I'm screwed/overwritten now, but is there some way to get my saves back?

• Like 1

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

People play this for score?  I'd be much more concerned with having the customs backed up, which by the way if you ever delete Rocksmith from your Steam library it will delete the entire folder including the customs.

Yes they do. I know I do, not just because i have a stat fetish (we are talking a girl who has a spreadsheet with all her customs in and whether sh'e played them or not, complete with a randomiser to choose a random song to play), but with being a beginner i find it useful to know when i've improved on a score and how many times i've played a song. If i lost my scores I would be hella annoyed. I remember losing my iTunes library once, i was more annoyed at losing my play counts than my songs.

I keep a spreadsheet to to help me keep track of my progress with Accuracy and Song %

spreadsheet with progress is good idea

I noticed that sometimes instead of improving i am downgrading :lol: :lol: for example with Buckethead "Electronic Slight of Hand" I can not beat myself now from about 4-5 months ago play :lol: :lol: not good :lol: :lol:

so I need to make spreadsheet with REGRESS :lol: :lol:

I haven't run into the problem with Rocksmith, but I back up my files occassionally. However, I used to run into it...frequently with Assassin's Creed: Black Flag on uPlay. Twenty hours of saved gameplay just gone. It happened a couple of times and then I started to back my own files up. I own both Rocksmiths on Steam and only run it through it. Rocksmith 2014 used to launch uPlay after Steam, but it seems like Valve worked something out with them after a Rocksmith 2012 DLC transfer issue arose. It might be a problem on uPlay's end.

• Developer

You can post a link to your corrupted game save (localprofiles.json and *_prfldb) files here.

I have developed a new localprofiles (game save) repair tool.  Corrupted profiles and ~100% game save profiles are needed for testing.

You must post both files to be considered for repair/testing.

Be sure to listen to @@Alex360's advice above.

• Like 1

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

You can post a link to your corrupted game save (localprofiles.json and *_prfldb) files here.

I have developed a new localprofiles (game save) repair tool.  Corrupted profiles and ~100% game save profiles are needed for testing.

You must post both files to be considered for repair/testing.

Be sure to listen to @@Alex360's advice above.

If it works, you will be a hero to all and save much gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes. Good luck and godspeed, my friend. Do you know -- in layman's terms -- how/why the problem occurs in the creation of certain files and how it corrupts the save file?

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

• Developer

In layman's terms ...

1.  Do not exit, quit or abort the game in any way other than following the in game prompts to quit .

2.  Never shut off your computer while the game is loaded.

3.  Never attempt to modify/add CDLC files while the game is loaded.

4.  Never attempt to modify any other game files (such as *.ini) while the game is loaded.

5.  Never be the first try to new untested CDLC.

Game save (localprofiles.json and *_prfldb) files can be corrupted if you do any of the above.

Knock on wood, I have yet to corrupt a game save.  That is why I need some broken/corrupted files for testing/repair.  So be sure to link them here.  I will return the one's that I am able to repair.

The tool that I am developing will backup, transfer, modify, repair and create new game saves.  So far backup and transfer are complete and working nicely.  Transfer also let's you change the players name that you see in the game.

Stay tuned for more.

• Like 2

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Instructions on how to make a Rocksmith Saved Game backup script, that you can run after you finish playing rockmith.

If you are using windows 7, create a new text file on your desktop and name it backuprocksmith.bat

Now open that file in a text editor such as notepad or wordpad

Then copy the following code into it

Copy "C:\Users\smith\AppData\Local\Steam\221680\storage" "C:\backup\rocksmith\storage"

But change the directory locations in the code to where your game data is stored and where you want the backup to be saved (N.B you will need to create the backup directory first before running the script)

then save the file. 

Now whenever you want to backup your rocksmith saved game files, just click the bat file.

It should be pretty similar for mac users, but you will need to write a shell script or something, dont have a mac so cant  help you.

Then if your saved game files ever gets corrupted, you can just copy them back to the original location.

Hope this helps.

If i got some of the code wrong, feel free to offer a better way of doing it, or the correct file locations, if i have got them wrong.

In layman's terms ...

1.  Do not exit, quit or abort the game in any way other than following the in game prompts to quit .

2.  Never shut off your computer while the game is loaded.

3.  Never attempt to modify/add CDLC files while the game is loaded.

4.  Never attempt to modify any other game files (such as *.ini) while the game is loaded.

5.  Never be the first try to new untested CDLC.

Game save (localprofiles.json and *_prfldb) files can be corrupted if you do any of the above.

Knock on wood, I have yet to corrupt a game save.  That is why I need some broken/corrupted files for testing/repair.  So be sure to link them here.  I will return the one's that I am able to repair.

The tool that I am developing will backup, transfer, modify, repair and create new game saves.  So far backup and transfer are complete and working nicely.  Transfer also let's you change the players name that you see in the game.

Stay tuned for more.

My corrupts came mainly, (maybe all about 20-30) after played song that corrupts save file. First i didn't realize that it was even possible, then i started to slowly hunt em, now i think all nailed, removed and listed http://customsforge.com/topic/4863-list-of-crashers-jammers-dead-toners-and-misc-problems/, and no more save file corrupts... but i haven't played all songs and more coming...

Anyway, save file "manager" is great thing if you manage to do it.

Is there any possible... that if u can remove many (xxxx) song saves inside save file, (songs and song updates that are no longer in dlc) .... game would load songs faster. And is this modify option you trying to do?

Or is speeding up possible only when actual songs are removed ?

• Developer

From what I can tell, RS partially/fully unpacks the songs that are in the DLC/CDLC folder on startup.  This info is loaded into the song list in the game.  So  minimizing the installed DLC/CDLC may speed up the loading process.  Move unused CDLC into a backup folder. 

In addition to basic preferences, game saves do contain loads of information about what has been played, when and how long.  All this can be edited with a tool.

I still have not received any links to corrupted save files from anyone to test/repair.  Who will be first?

To late reading this... I just lost 90 hours a couple of days ago... at least the practice experience is still there. :)

The practice experience is the only thing that matters.If all of you care so much about scores,go and play candy crush on your mobiles and upload your scores in FB.I don't give a f... about scores, inlays and not even RS at all. I just want to learn something ,but RS is good to play customs that you really like and just want to play for fun,even if you haven't memorized the whole song already.I hope someday to memorize songs and read tabs naturally without Rocksmith. I aready played many games to care about Rocksmith as you do.

• Like 1