Backup your save file!!!!! Or risk going back to zero.

Joe

Question

I just had RS2014 crash. No biggee, it happens from time to time, right? Wrong.

When I restarted RS2014 I got the message that my save file was corrupted. So, I'm now zeroed out in EVERYTHING like I've never played the game before. And I've played A LOT.

:angry:

Bummer.

Which brings up a couple of points:

1) BACK UP YOUR SAVE FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Where is the aforementioned save file located so that I/we can back it up occasionally so that this never happens to me or anyone else again?

3) And, I think I'm screwed/overwritten now, but is there some way to get my saves back?

• Like 1

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

Ok well...

Just happened to me for the second time, now I got back ups

the only thing I changed was replace Metallica Damage Inc for a newer version

things aren't looking good, I restored two different backups without success

Now my only chance, I got a backup with all the dlcs that I had at that exact time backup, don't know if it will make an difference

Starting everything from scratch for the 3rd time its just insane

Large Dlc folder kills save file, or Ubisoft does it on purpose, if user has dlc count => 500 then destroy.save

yesterday there was an RS update, maybe it got something to do

I'm sorry to hear that, piepesado, I know it sucks. Every time I play it still annoys me how much I lost (~350 hours) my first crash.

If your saves from when it was working fine don't work, I don't know what's going on. I know the most recent one (saved after the corruption event occurred) won't work, but if you have saves from a couple sessions ago when it was working fine and THEY don't work, I haven't got a clue. For my second and third crashes the second-most-recent backups always worked, the most recent one never did.

I hope it's not a Ubisoft thing. I set my RS to not automatically update yesterday just in case, though.

Best of luck to you. If it becomes epidemic, we'll know something's going on.

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

I'm sorry to hear that, piepesado, I know it sucks. Every time I play it still annoys me how much I lost (~350 hours) my first crash.

If your saves from when it was working fine don't work, I don't know what's going on. I know the most recent one (saved after the corruption event occurred) won't work, but if you have saves from a couple sessions ago when it was working fine and THEY don't work, I haven't got a clue. For my second and third crashes the second-most-recent backups always worked, the most recent one never did.

I hope it's not a Ubisoft thing. I set my RS to not automatically update yesterday just in case, though.

Best of luck to you. If it becomes epidemic, we'll know something's going on.

I have 540hs of playing

I know whats going on, I was backing up a wrong folder, dumb dumb and dumber me

I'm out of this for a while, cant cope to redo everything for the 3rd time, this just cracked my nerves

CUSTOMS WITHOUT TONES INCLUDED CAUSE THIS ISSUE ... make sure you update problem songs... 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

CUSTOMS WITHOUT TONES INCLUDED CAUSE THIS ISSUE ... make sure you update problem songs... 

"CUSTOMS WITHOUT TONES INCLUDED CAUSE THIS ISSUE " 

Is this verified, and how? Just very intrested... would sure inform others if this is verified. i guessed this could be one possibility but can't verify it.

search, it's an old issue but little documentation, best sign is when they added "disable tone changing" in the Song Toolkit...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

I've had the tone issue dozens of times, but I've only had the corrupt file problem three times, so the dead tone thing doesn't necessarily lead to corrupt save file. Some people have mentioned that certain songs have caused the problem, though. I

f we could figure out what the cause was, we'd be a long way toward solving the problem.

A few months ago I too had this issue and it seems it occurred after downloading and playing CDLCs. I added 3 songs and didn't have any problems while playing them but the next time I opened up RS I received the corrupt file message and lost everything.  I fixed that and deleted the 3 songs from the folder and haven't had any more issues since. At the time I had probably less than 50 CDLCs in my library so I don't think it's a capacity thing. 

A few months ago I too had this issue and it seems it occurred after downloading and playing CDLCs. I added 3 songs and didn't have any problems while playing them but the next time I opened up RS I received the corrupt file message and lost everything.  I fixed that and deleted the 3 songs from the folder and haven't had any more issues since. At the time I had probably less than 50 CDLCs in my library so I don't think it's a capacity thing. 

Can u remember these "suspected" corrupters? Could test them, though most of cases cannot be confirmed as source of corrupt... 

I've had the tone issue dozens of times, but I've only had the corrupt file problem three times, so the dead tone thing doesn't necessarily lead to corrupt save file. Some people have mentioned that certain songs have caused the problem, though. I

f we could figure out what the cause was, we'd be a long way toward solving the problem.

Think so too...

Sure in dead toners can be some save file corrupters too... like among toned songs... there are over 100 dead toners. 

@@Joe

Dont know if this has been said yet, cant be arsed to read the whole thread, but if you are on pc its pretty easy to get your old save back.

Just go to where the save file is located, Which should be Steam / steamuser / steam ID number / 221680

221680 is the game ID number, just right click on it and select 'set back previous version'  Or something along those lines. You should get a popup box with dates / times. Just select which one you want and BOOM, old save is back.

Dont know if such a trick is possible on xbox / ps. Probably not. 

Good idea. I have Win 8 and I see no action that says "set back previous version" when I go to that folder and click it.  Am I missing something? Thanks. 

I use this Win 8-feature as well, but luckily did not have to restore a backup yet.

This feature is called "File History" ("Dateiversionsverlauf" in german) and you have to set it up before you can use it - it won't work automatically!

1. Activate File History: You have to choose an external usb/network-harddrive, where the backups are saved.

2. Now all the files that are contained IN ONE OF THE LIBRARIES (documents, music, etc...) are saved in an intervall that you can define

3. To back up the RS files, you have add the folder (Steamuserdata*******221680remote) to a windows-library (I created a new one)

4. For restoring a file you have to navigate there in the explorer and hit the button "history" (verlauf in german). Then you can navigate through all the versions of a file or folder

The fact that you have to use libraries to set up the file history is a little bit odd, but otherwise it's a great feature. While your backup-harddrive is disconnected, windows will save the file versions localy and copy them when you connect your harddrive the next time. On your backup-harddrive, the original folder strukture will still be available, the file versions just get a time stamp added to their name. This means you can access your backup without windows as well (only the file names will look funny) - this is a great plus in contrast to some backup-programs that creat huge blackbox-files that are completely worthless without the program that createt them!

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

@@Joe

Dont know if this has been said yet, cant be arsed to read the whole thread, but if you are on pc its pretty easy to get your old save back.

Just go to where the save file is located, Which should be Steam / steamuser / steam ID number / 221680

221680 is the game ID number, just right click on it and select 'set back previous version'  Or something along those lines. You should get a popup box with dates / times. Just select which one you want and BOOM, old save is back.

Dont know if such a trick is possible on xbox / ps. Probably not. 

Thanks a lot for this! This issue has plagued me this week, this helped me get back to where I was a week ago! Cheers

I just had it happen for the fourth time. I backup every time I play so I never lose more than a session, but you're right, it's annoying and disconcerting. Like waiting for the axe to fall....

A couple of thoughts:

1) Don't save after a session -- it may already be corrupted. Save at the beginning of a session (after you're sure everything loads properly), before you play anything. You KNOW that save works. 

2) I just enabled the "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization" for Rocksmith 2014 on on Steam. Has anyone with this enabled had the dreaded corruption? If so, what happens? Does it roll you back to your last session automatically? Or are you screwed, too?

I've been hit recently as well, about 400 hours shot.  on the bright side though, when I started back through the ones I had been doing, they are a lot easier, so something is working.  I have been hit nearly every other day of late, so I started backing up through my playing.  I have run across two that repeatedly cause issues.  zztop cheap sunglasses, and werewolves of London. the biggest thing I have is getting through the initial startup of setting up my rig.  nothing  critical, just time spent.  I haven't had time to try rebuilding these to see if this makes any difference, and I haven't had time to notify the creators.  curious to see if that will make any difference.  down side is I really like these, maybe i'll have to note them somehow to only use when ready to reset everything.

I have run across two that repeatedly cause issues.  zztop cheap sunglasses, and werewolves of London.

I haven't had any problems with Cheap Sunglasses but Werewolves of London corrupts my profile when I play it.

• Like 1

I have run across two that repeatedly cause issues.  zztop cheap sunglasses, and werewolves of London.

I haven't had any problems with Cheap Sunglasses but Werewolves of London corrupts my profile when I play it.

Confirm/tested what u said...adding only (can't confirm other),Werewolves of London to list  it was already reported to charter.

has anyone been able to check if this might be something in the build or machine related?  it just seems odd that it has popped up relatively quickly and still seems random.  the key is finding the trigger to be able to find a cure.  now that weekend is here I hope to experiment on my versions to see what else I can find.  p.s. thanks to all for the dlc, I really enjoy the output, even when it corrupts my file.

I want to tell you that Metallica Damage Inc, DO NOT DAMAGE anything for sure, I tested it and my few friends tested it and everything works ok, so it is not possible that this file can damage something.

and:

I always add the tones to all my customs as well as I always test them (I always play them before posting here and sometimes friends test them too)

:)

nonetheless: remember to back up your profiles ALWAYS, because we do not know what can damage the save files for sure there may be many reasons :) I always back up all directory at least one time per 3 weeks :)

I updated my toolkit today to 2.6 and rebuilt cheap sunglasses, that seemed to help so I tried werewolves in London.  it didn't change anything on that one. something interesting I did notice though.  whenever I get the corrupt file, I have to start a new one and then everything seems to run fine unless I hit a bad song, or so I thought.  after I redid my profile I did not play any songs, just got out of the game and back in and it happened again.  makes me wonder if there may be something we aren't catching yet.

If you shut your game down before it autosave profile or even in process of autosaving - you'll probably get broken profile as result, I got it in that way only, maybe you guys could supply me with broken profiles and backup for them(I'd like to see difference between, maybe I could write something that can fix profiles for you if that possible) (PM me)

As a heads up for guys experiencing this - I've stopped exiting the game manually (ie. Windows key to desktop, closing the window) and instead have ESC-ed all the way back to the start menu, then one more time to actually exit the game. Since doing that I haven't had a corrupted profile again (touch wood).

Might be worth a try - although I bet nows that I've said it I get one next time!

• Like 1

im not sure if the same way, when I close down I right click back to main screen then right click to get the shut down. I think that goes twice then im back to the desktop. im on a pc by the way. I haven't had time yet this weekend to do any further checks, hopefully soon though.  I really don't mind losing the time I've put in, I am more happy that I can play better than when I started.  the biggest thing for me is that I have to recalibrate and go through all the initial steps again.  I've also noticed that it doesn't seem to make any difference what choice I make, I have to go through it.  oh well, it's a lot better than what I started with