Backup your save file!!!!! Or risk going back to zero.

Joe

Question

I just had RS2014 crash. No biggee, it happens from time to time, right? Wrong.

When I restarted RS2014 I got the message that my save file was corrupted. So, I'm now zeroed out in EVERYTHING like I've never played the game before. And I've played A LOT.

:angry:

Bummer.

Which brings up a couple of points:

1) BACK UP YOUR SAVE FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Where is the aforementioned save file located so that I/we can back it up occasionally so that this never happens to me or anyone else again?

3) And, I think I'm screwed/overwritten now, but is there some way to get my saves back?

• Like 1

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

This happens regularly unfortunately, its actually happened to me 3 times this week! 3 days in a row to be exact! Luckily I only use the PC version of rocksmith for playing customs, and not actually keeping score, I've got it on the xbox too, which I use for trying to beat my score, PC is more for fun, so I'm not overly bothered I lost everything, its just annoying having to go through the first start configuration everytime, when it happened yesterday, I just loaded the game to test a change I'd made to a custom I'd just finished updating!

Anyway, there's been a few threads on here about it, and in this thread here http://customsforge.com/topic/2166-save-file-corrupted-lost-all-my-progressthis-happened-to-anyone-else/?p=10865 you can see when your save file is found and how to back it up, some people have started backing up their save after every single play of the game!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, Jamie. I had no idea that corrupted save files were such a common RS problem!

I guess I'd been lucky until yesterday. Had I known, I certainly would have backed up my save file regularly. Hopefully, this thread will reach some people who, like me, were blissfully unaware that they're one crash away from being zeroed out.

I will certainly check out the thread you mentioned and backup my save file on a regular basis from now on!!!

Yeah, I mostly use non-stop play, but it's nice to sort by mastery or number of plays sometimes. Also, having to stop and boost the dd up every time, some time spent in guitarcade, etc.

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

I feel your pain, Chazite.

The save file, as pointed out by flameout101, is: C:> Program Files(x86) > Steam > userdata > (your ID number) > 221680 > Remote

My desktop now sports a RS backup folder and a shortcut to the Remote file.

I can't remember the last time Rocksmith crashed on me. And that was certainly the result of a custom not behaving correctly.

Seems to me a lot of people experiencing this issue also keep large numbers of customs in their DLC folder. Which to me, is the real recipe for disaster. All it takes is one improperly handled custom to bring down the whole stack of cards. And this wouldn't even necessarily be the charter's fault, but it could be a bug introduced during the packing process, which isn't 100% perfect yet.

So unless anyone can prove otherwise, I'd recommend keeping a separate folder for your CDLC archives and only load in the songs you're actually planning to play.

(He says, backing slowly out of the room and rushing to back up his own save file, because you just know his game is going to crash tonight...)

PS: From what I can tell Rocksmith will remember your progress on a song, even if it's not always loaded. Can anyone confirm this?

PS: From what I can tell Rocksmith will remember your progress on a song, even if it's not always loaded. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah it does, as long as the file name is the same as it used before from what i've seen.

One think in mind... some customs can corrupt your save file... i have tracked one, and i have one more suspected... need some test still. Its possible that there are several on loose... 

If you just could notice what "song packs" did you played last time before save file corrupted... and reported them to me for test... topic is in general list of crasher etc...

And what comes to crashes, i have many customs, about 4000, and recently i have encountered strange problem, song can crash even once and second time its just flows without issues... luckily this is very rare,,, but it makes very hard to realize for sure which one is real crasher... which luckily are also quite rare...mostly caused by duplicates.

I think myself, that if all real crashers, jammers, and save file corrupters are removed from dlc folder,,, also this save file corrupt problem... going zero could be minimized.

Sure thing is that problems can be avoided also just playing only customs that are rated to work well by other testers... and by keeping in DLC folder only few songs...

But as you said  backups are essential,,, they are must!!! even if you try to be careful accidents do happen.

My save file corrupts about 2 times per month, but i play a lot, and i'm not careful, play them all even if some says song  crash... not for me always. Besides that have huge :-P save file

I'm really suprised that i have not real BIG problems.

People play this for score?  I'd be much more concerned with having the customs backed up, which by the way if you ever delete Rocksmith from your Steam library it will delete the entire folder including the customs.

Well, if I'm at 98% on something, I want to get to 100% the next time; if I'm at 90%, I want to get to 95%, etc. The number of times I've played something and my % score tells me a lot. Also, I don't play it often, but in Guitarcade, if I got a gold score, I want to get a platinum score the next time. I use my scores and save info to challenge myself to get better.

Backing up the CDLC is also an important public service announcement, though. I need to do that more regularly. Thanks for the reminder! (Joe goes to backup CDLC on thumbdrive)

• Like 1

People play this for score?  I'd be much more concerned with having the customs backed up, which by the way if you ever delete Rocksmith from your Steam library it will delete the entire folder including the customs.

Yes they do. I know I do, not just because i have a stat fetish (we are talking a girl who has a spreadsheet with all her customs in and whether sh'e played them or not, complete with a randomiser to choose a random song to play), but with being a beginner i find it useful to know when i've improved on a score and how many times i've played a song. If i lost my scores I would be hella annoyed. I remember losing my iTunes library once, i was more annoyed at losing my play counts than my songs.

@@Joe

Dont know if this has been said yet, cant be arsed to read the whole thread, but if you are on pc its pretty easy to get your old save back.

Just go to where the save file is located, Which should be Steam / steamuser / steam ID number / 221680

221680 is the game ID number, just right click on it and select 'set back previous version'  Or something along those lines. You should get a popup box with dates / times. Just select which one you want and BOOM, old save is back.

Dont know if such a trick is possible on xbox / ps. Probably not. 

My workplace
I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman. Yet.

@@Joe

Dont know if this has been said yet, cant be arsed to read the whole thread, but if you are on pc its pretty easy to get your old save back.

Just go to where the save file is located, Which should be Steam / steamuser / steam ID number / 221680

221680 is the game ID number, just right click on it and select 'set back previous version'  Or something along those lines. You should get a popup box with dates / times. Just select which one you want and BOOM, old save is back.

Thanks for the idea, Longstreet. It'll probably work for some people, but I got "There are no previous versions available."

GameSave Manager is a good idea, too, ShameOnTheNight. I may try it, but RS14 is pretty much the only PC game I'm playing these days, so I'll probably just backup manually.

Good news and bad news.

The bad news: I got the corrupted file notice again, and the file I saved last night after playing was corrupt, too. So it seems that the file was corrupted either while I was playing or when I shut down. Otherwise, the file I saved last night after playing would have worked.

The good news: Luckily, I had saved the remote file from the night *before* last too, and that one worked. So I just lost a couple of hours. And, in fact, "remote" is the crucial folder you need to backup.

So:

1) Keep a few remote folder backups on a rotating basis in case one or more is corrupted.

2) Keep a few remote folder backups on a rotating basis in case one or more is corrupted.

Why not try to identify the CDLC causing the crash? How many customs do you have in your DLC folder at the moment? Maybe try taking them all out and adding them bit by bit, see if you can identify the file that doing this to you.

It's so weird.....I've never had a problem with save files....and I have a ridiculous number of customs.

Then again, like the fellow above said, I do my "serious" playing on the 360 and just use the PC version for customs.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

MVega: I'm not sure what's causing the corrupted file. After I got it working again with the old remote file, I played for a while, then quit, then restarted and it worked fine. And I'd played a couple of times without any problems since the original problem, so it's not clear that it's a particular file or what. If it keeps happening I'll look into more and do some testing. I've got 774 files in my dlc folder.

Billkwando: Yeah, I'd played 300 hours or so without any problems. It'd crash once in a great while, but I never lost anything. Now twice in a week. Do yourself a favor and back it up just in case!

What would be interesting would be to hear from someone who's experienced this crash with fewer CDLCs in the folder. Maybe there's a limit of how many Rocksmith can handle?

Or maybe it's just one or more CDLCs that are just a little buggy -- and every now and then they'll hook into Rocksmith the wrong way? I know that sometimes the Toolkit doesn't pack things properly. I've had customs that work fine one time, the next time they'll kind of hang, and then work fine again.

It happened twice for me. The corrupted file was bridge burning or matter of time by the foo fighters.

You can have the corrupted file in your folder without crashing the game. For me, the bug only appears when i played this song, closed the game and reopened rocksmith. And it was at the reopening that i can see that the game has bugged.

I've got bridge buring in my dlc folder too, and the corrupting save file only started after I'd played it... I'll go remove it now and see if it makes a difference when I next play the game

@@Joe

Good idea. I have Win 8 and I see no action that says "set back previous version" when I go to that folder and click it.  Am I missing something? Thanks. 

Happened again to me last night. Unfortunately, it was after a nearly three-hour-long session, so I don't know which song did it and I can't remember all the songs I played. Fortunately, I have been backing up my save file after every session AND keeping the three of so most current saves, so all I lost was that 2+ hours' progress.

It's crucial to keep more than just your most current save. The file is corrupted while you're playing, you just don't know it until you restart it. So, if you save after playing and only keep your most recent save, you're saving the corrupted file and you can't go back to the one that works.