What bass would you buy?

RdBass4

Ok, I don't see this topic in either the Gear Garage or the Off-Topic list.  I hope this is not a repeat.

I have an opportunity to buy a new bass, and am looking for ideas.  I know the types I have wanted over the years, but I want some ideas before I spend the $$$.  I am looking for either a 5 or 6 string.  So, what type and what model would you get if you could buy any bass?

If I won the lottery I would probably buy something like a Wal bass :)

But alas, I'm just a poor student, got myself a 5 string Warwick Rockbass Streamer for pretty cheap. Sounds better than my previous 4 string which was even cheaper :P. It's pretty top-heavy though with the sturdy neck, that took some time getting used to.

Still I kinda like the idea of a bass-only manufacturer like Warwick. Might be worth looking into, the Rockbasses are manufactured in Asia and are cheaper and the regular Warwicks are made in Germany with better quality.

• Like 1

Interested in getting one too.. Will be keeping tabs on this thread (no pun intended)! ;)Coming from 6 string guitar, would a 4 string be too restrictive or should it suit most songs?

If you want to be completely technical you only get 5 notes of added range per extra string :)

The main reason I went with a 5 string over a 4 string was playing those really low notes without having to play with spaghetti strings. I personally have no need for the sixth high string.

It isn't just a question of note range though, if you wanna have more options for chords and scales more strings are helpful.

But I guess 4 string is the most popular choice and many songs are done with that.

• Like 3

I thought this topic was about what bass someone personally wanted to buy, so i went in here to show this off. 

http://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_warlock_bronce_bass.htm 

For a 5 / 6 string, ill probably go for an overwater. Might even be a Scott devine custom then .

http://overwaterbasses.com/basses/scott-devine-bass/ 

Or the progress

http://overwaterbasses.com/basses/progress/

But there are so many sweet basses its hard to choose

• Like 1

My workplace
I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman. Yet.

I'm not hugely experienced with different basses but I am loving my schecter diamond 5 string, its a heavy beast but the tone is excellent and the neck just feels right, it plays well with rocksmith and I'm starting to tab out 5 dtring tracks for RS to get the best use of it.

My 4 string experience has seen a fender p-bass and an ibanez sr500, the pbass went a while back in favour of the ibanez which plays brilliantly and is really light compared to the fender, with a slim neck and profile, if the worst happened and I had to replace them I would definately but the same again

• Like 2

I recently took a trip back to the US (I live in Thailand), and bought an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro V.

The Good:

I love the body shape and style.

Much easier to get used to a 5-string than I thought it might be -- going back to my 4-string now the neck feels all thin and toy-like.

Sound and tone from it is very good, better than my old cheapo bass (Ibanez GSR200).

Fun and interesting to get used to active pickups since I had never used a bass with those before.

Bridge, hardware, and body quality all seem very nice to me, but then again I was used to my cheapo bass.

The Bad:

This bass is notorious for nosedive due to the heavy neck.  Mine is no exception.  Got used to it pretty quick though.

Electronics / no grounding buzz.  Also pretty notorious for having grounding issues that can add a lot of line noise and buzz.  Mine has that but is only a BIG problem if I turn up the realtone cable gain.  I do usually like my bass volume high, so this does become an issue.

The Ugly:

Sticker price was pretty high for me, $599 excluding case etc.  However, after ordering it (they didn't have any in stock near me) I got an email saying that there were some nicks and scuffs on the finish, so the price was going to be discounted by $200.  When it arrived, the 2 blemishes are minor and only one is visible from the front -- and that only under fairly close inspection.  Didn't affect playability at all.  So, for a $200 discount, this should really fall into the "good" category.

...But, getting it back to Thailand was a pretty big adventure, so maybe that can take over the ugly slot.  Long story, but short version is I luckily didn't have to pay any oversize baggage fee or anything, but had to claim and go through turn-your-head-and-cough type security an extra couple times.  Anyway, made it here in one piece without any more scuffs or anything, so can't complain too much.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

I only have one bass and it's my first, (only been playing it for three months) so my views might be a little skewed. I picked up a used Squier VM Jaguar Special from Guitar Center and I love it. The combination of a P-bass split pickup in the neck and a Jazz pickup in the bridge position gives me a great range of different tones, as does the active boost circuit. Mine is a four string, but they do make a five string version.

sleepy

• Like 2

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

I only have one bass and it's my first, (only been playing it for three months) so my views might be a little skewed. I picked up a used Squier VM Jaguar Special from Guitar Center and I love it. The combination of a P-bass split pickup in the neck and a Jazz pickup in the bridge position gives me a great range of different tones, as does the active boost circuit. Mine is a four string, but they do make a five string version.

sleepy

The Fender headstock looks pretty ugly with five strings in my opinion with the fifth tuning machine on the other side, it looks like a mutation just grew there :P

the chapman mlb! hah

http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=en&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=211549

just realised you said 5 or 6 string oops hah oh well its only a prototype atm anyway, i think they're making the body about 10% smaller but it sounds great

on the other hand you could get the Epiphone Thunderbird pro iv or pro v they are imo very good bases, sound great, look awsome and on top of that they quite cheap

Edited by Num14
  • Like 1

I've always loved my Peavey T-40 since I got it in 1983.  If I was to buy anything else I would definitely go for a Schecter.  I've played several in the guitar stores, go for the C-4 Deluxe or C-4 Elite.  Awesome sound and quality for the price, especially on ebay (if you can stand buying on ebay). 

• Like 1

Interested in getting one too.. Will be keeping tabs on this thread (no pun intended)! ;)Coming from 6 string guitar, would a 4 string be too restrictive or should it suit most songs?

I agree with @@Ross on this. You can do a lot with a 4-string, and only need a 5 if you need to get those lowest few notes without de-tuning and having very loose strings.  I would recommend seriously looking at a 5 string, but feel, weight and sound are more important, so if you find a 4-string that you love, you might want to go with that.  Coming from a 6-string guitar, you might prefer a thin body and neck - pure bassists might shoot me for saying that, but it's all good and you need to play the one that feels comfortable.  As for a 6-string bass, if you don't use the notes on your g-string on a 4 string, then you won't use the extra notes you get on a six.  6-string basses are good for jazz style and some fast metal, but if you don't play a lot of that, then you won't get much out of a 6-string, other than a cool look.  My jazz teacher wanted me to get a 6-string and use higher b and e strings from a guitar's lowest string s. He said you could blend the music better that way, but I never did that and have used a 4-string until now. Anyway, I am leaning to a 5 string now because I don't play a lot of jazz anymore, and I don't use the upper notes as much as I used to.

• Like 1

If I won the lottery I would probably buy something like a Wal bass :)

But alas, I'm just a poor student, got myself a 5 string Warwick Rockbass Streamer for pretty cheap. Sounds better than my previous 4 string which was even cheaper :P. It's pretty top-heavy though with the sturdy neck, that took some time getting used to.

Still I kinda like the idea of a bass-only manufacturer like Warwick. Might be worth looking into, the Rockbasses are manufactured in Asia and are cheaper and the regular Warwicks are made in Germany with better quality.

Thanks for the Wal idea.  I wasn't thinking of those, but I need to put that on my list.  I like the idea of bass-only manufacturers too, but I'm willing to look at any good bass.  I checked out the Warwicks again, and I might think about those again too.

I thought this topic was about what bass someone personally wanted to buy, so i went in here to show this off. 

http://www.thomann.de/nl/bc_rich_warlock_bronce_bass.htm 

For a 5 / 6 string, ill probably go for an overwater. Might even be a Scott devine custom then .

http://overwaterbasses.com/basses/scott-devine-bass/ 

Or the progress

http://overwaterbasses.com/basses/progress/

But there are so many sweet basses its hard to choose

Wow!  Thanks for the idea on the Overwaters.  The Progress with the neck-through design looks like the type of bass I like.  I will definitely consider those, and see if I can find one in the area to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out those beauties at http://www.esh-bass.com

I got myself a Stinger II two years ago and I wouldnt wanna miss it. Plays like a charm, definately on par with my Warwick, plus its got a Piezo Pickup which can be switched to add to the magnetics AND it has a second output for the Piezo only.

Before i ordered it my dealer had a seller of Esh come by and bring an assortment of their basses, so I was able to play seven of their models at the store. I was totally blown away by the Poseidon, and I would have bought it right away if i wasnt looking for a 4-String (Poseidon is 5-String only).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about this Bass.  :)

Any thoughts**? Anyone tried one? Will probably give it a go in the next week or two..

# H

Ibanez SR375-BBS Blackberry Sunburst

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o680/Hostilian/13120714221158_zpsd2c4bcdb.jpg

** apart from the fact that it looks sexy as f**k..

I also have a Epiphone Thunderbird which is built like a tank, have gigged with it loads and didnt even have a case for it (bad I know). Not even a ding or a scratch on it :)  I got round the nosediving by hanging it from the neck plate like the Epiphone SG guitars are. Just got the screw really cheap from ebay.