I find it so frustrating...

Daikano

...when I find a great tab for guitar but all of the tabs out there have a worthless bass track.  It took me about an hour to get the guitar parts done for Refugee, and am having to do the entire bass track by ear, adding the notes manually to the chart.  So far I've been doing that for about 6 hours and am maybe halfway finished.  It is oh so tedious.

On the up-side, I'm learning a lot of things about bass that I didn't know before.

• Like 7

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

In many GP tabs or tabs in general, you'll often be missing that one super cool lead guitar solo, as well. And you won't find it anywhere.

• Like 2

I've got one, it's almost complete....except for a four-measure section (which comes back a few times) where whoever tabbed it must have thrown his hands up in despair. What they hell ARE those chords?

I also really hate it when they place the solos on a separate track -- as if people actually listen to GP files for pleasure --  but that's easy enough to fix.

• Like 3

I've got one, it's almost complete....except for a four-measure section (which comes back a few times) where whoever tabbed it must have thrown his hands up in despair. What they hell ARE those chords?

I also really hate it when they place the solos on a separate track -- as if people actually listen to GP files for pleasure --  but that's easy enough to fix.

Separate solos are a pain. I've had a couple incidences where the Lead was in a key of something other than E Standard and the Rhythm will be in E Standard. Then the solo will be completely separate, but it'll be in E Standard, so I have to put it in the Rhythm section. It's also a double negative, because then there might be a gap in the lead section for the solo, but I can't import the solo because of the key difference.

Would be really cool if Tux Guitar had a feature to correct that, to generally move notes around properly when the tuning changes. But it just won't work. At all. It's totally broken. When I change the lowest string, it will usually just throw away all of the notes. 

My very first track was either a poor choice or a good one, depending on how you look at it.

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/brown-eyed-girl-r4206

The bpm did a slow increase throughout the song from 149 to 160, and the bass tab was accurate enough for a live performance but the actual single is more like a 3 minute bass solo. Major headache (took about a week to complete) but I did teach me ALOT about how to make customs. 

• Like 1

More Alice Cooper coming!

The bass is one of the most neglected instruments when it comes to tabbing out, because apparently a small amount of people play/focus on it or the song almost always buries it - most of the songs I've done I make the bassline up myself; but it's quite fun to do nonetheless.

• Like 1

All My CDLC | Oasis Discography | The Cult Collection

Formerly Dave89898989

My very first track was either a poor choice or a good one, depending on how you look at it.

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/brown-eyed-girl-r4206

The bpm did a slow increase throughout the song from 149 to 160, and the bass tab was accurate enough for a live performance but the actual single is more like a 3 minute bass solo. Major headache (took about a week to complete) but I did teach me ALOT about how to make customs. 

My first custom (Zombie by the Cranberries, not submitted here since I was beaten to the punch) was kinda like that.  BPM wandering around quite a bit with a human dummer/bass player instead of robotically sampled and looped at a perfect set tempo.  And then I went through the experience of having the song sound dissonant when played in the stated tuning, which caused me to eventually figure out that it was recorded in standard E but NOT A440.

It seems like most songs that I choose to make a custom for end up being in a tuning off of A440 -- Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry was a full quarter-step sharp!

But I agree with the idea that it might be good to start off with some of those -- teaches you how to recognize and deal with those issues for future customs!

• Like 1

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• Administrator

Another frustration... when charters don't set a beatmap to the audio, but instead sync to the notes. Which means the notes don't fall on the measure and beat lines in Rocksmith.

I think it's one of the worst way to sync a sound, if the beat map is not set you can see clearly the rhythm your supposed to play and it will mess up the Section since they are necessarily on a beat marker which will fall out of place.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Another frustration... when charters don't set a beatmap to the audio, but instead sync to the notes. Which means the notes don't fall on the measure and beat lines in Rocksmith.

Ooops. I'm guilty of that  :eek: 

I guess I never really paid attention to that. Not in EOF, not in the game. Sure I know it's there but I didn't think it was important for that to sync up to. I'll pay attention to that in the future, promise!

• Like 1

• Administrator

You can not do it but :

• You complicate the task of charting
  • You can't set on time the section/phrases
  • The player can't figure out easily the tempo and the rhythm
  • You can't indicate the time signature

It's a loose/loose solution to do this since you don't even gain anything to not do this while charting a song and it might even take a lot more time to sync note to note.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Guilty, I did that one my first two customs, which I'm going back and redoing now that I know better.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

I used to just move the notes around till someone was annoyed enough by it that they showed me how it should be done and it really is way easier to synch it up now.  Moving every note was very tedious and it just makes things more difficult to chart.

I actually like making the beat map -- it doesn't take that long, and it's a lot easier than, say, correcting Guitar Pro tabs. I look at setting the beatmap as a way to get to know the song before moving on to tabbing the actual notes. It's kind of relaxing in that way.

Songs with an obvious snare beat are the easiest, of course. You can see the beats in the waveform, so it's easy to position the beat markers.

I wish EOF had setting for "clear all beat anchors"  or "clear selected anchors" though, since I inevitably screw something up and end up having to do the beatmap twice....

• Like 1

I did that on my very first custom (Day at the Beach) by Satriani.  I also didn't know where to find tabs yet, so I created the whole thing by right clicking the piano roll where I saw the transients.  The beat map was completely unused after I set the basic tempo.  I admit, I really had no idea what I was doing at the time.

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

Here's my latest frustration... I've been working on a song for a while now, had to fix the guitarpro tab since it was prepared by a guy wearing earplugs. I thought I'd done really well, in fact I was ready to post it to the database this evening... when I finally got around to watching the band playing the song... and discovered I'd placed a whole section of it in the wrong position. And then I dug around and found some outtakes of the song where the guitar comes through more clearly... found a couple of other things I'd missed...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...