Help. Do (free) Dropbox accounts get hacked?

Guest phillupdbowl

Guest phillupdbowl

I recieved a pm from a member stating that a cdlc of mine was not available. I went to my dropbox account and got a message saying that the account was logged in from another browser, which I've never done. Dozens of my files (cdlc's) are gone. Any ideas as to what may have happened?

I recieved a pm from a member stating that a cdlc of mine was not available. I went to my dropbox account and got a message saying that the account was logged in from another browser, which I've never done. Dozens of my files (cdlc's) are gone. Any ideas as to what may have happened?

I don't think there have been may major breaches of dropbox recently so maybe you went on a dodgy site or something.

Mediafire sometimes just screws up a file and I have to reupload it, maybe dropbox did something similar?

I'd still change ya password to be safe, but I doubt it's anything too major.

If ya too worried about it try another file host, but I don't think the issue is dropboxes fault, this kind of thing can happen to any account on any site. So don't let it worry you too much, but be careful.

Also just checked in the settings you can use 2 factor authentication, which is very good for keeping others out of your account. Even if they get your password they'd need your phone as well.

• Like 1

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

@phillupdbowl 

Thanks for doing the reupload. I thought you must have had a hissy and taken them down just cos some random criticised them. It's pretty easy to cop negativity on here for your Customs and not easy to get constructive comments. There's some big egos around. It looked like you'd added a rhythm  track, so why not? The more the merrier. It wasn't even the original poster anyhow. Hope someone wasn't having a go at your stuff.

I noticed dropbox have changed their rules regarding no more than 3 devices on a free account. That's all I can help with.

By the way you do a nice range of stuff, modern, oldies etc. Well done. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

mczero

• Like 1

Unaccredited Charter

Guest phillupdbowl

@@mczero Thank you and nice to meet you. I was mostly concerned about learning how to put tones into the custom but this file hosting has been the biggest pain. It has me thinking that I have to pay for a secure account. I only use one browser on one device. I still can't find two-step verification. Which service do you guys prefer? And, could this problem be happening from accessing dropbox on win 7? Thanks.

@@mczero Thank you and nice to meet you. I was mostly concerned about learning how to put tones into the custom but this file hosting has been the biggest pain. It has me thinking that I have to pay for a secure account. I only use one browser on one device. I still can't find two-step verification. Which service do you guys prefer? And, could this problem be happening from accessing dropbox on win 7? Thanks.

hi Phil,

You too.

I've only just got tone changes to work properly on my last custom, even though I put them in my earlier ones. There's a nice video here: link.

I made myself a few notes on what worked for me here:

14 In Toolkit load tone template first otherwise other entries clear.

15  Import Tone Template from tones.dlc.xml in Khe Sanh say.

16 Set tone changes in EoF Track > Rocksmith > Tone Change > Add at time markers.

17 Don’t set a time for first tone. Set it as Default.

18 Use lower case simple names to remember for Toolkit eg. “nice”

19 In Toolkit, select tone > Edit > Tone information > type “nice”

20 Leave Tone Type for game to decide.

21 Adjust volume, probably up a bit. Save tone > OK.

22 Tone A is same as default. Tone B is the first new tone.

It's not a How To, just my notes to self as I don't get time to make many customs and keep forgetting the tricky bits.

I think you've been dead unlucky or a victim of malicous activity as I've never had any trouble with dropbox or heard of anyone else having it. Google Drive is just as good. I use both. Never had a problem.

Generally newer Windows is more secure than old. Win 7 is pretty old, but a good one. You can still get a free upgrade to Win10 by searching for Win10 accessibility and hunting around.

Cheers,

mczero

Unaccredited Charter

Guest phillupdbowl

Update: Problem solved

After reading pages of frustrated dropbox owners about file deletions in accounts, I found an in-depth article describing the multitude of ways in which files vanish. The simple steps not taken (by myself, due to lack of knowledge) led to the missing files. I've come across plenty of dead links for cdlc's and have always wondered why. This https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-deleted-all-my-files/td-p/263257 gives reasoning and examples to why this vanishing of files occurs. And I think these reasons would apply to the other similar services.