Don't create preview audio

mikejl47

Question

I just noticed something, If you don't make an audio preview in EOF, and don't waste your time converting the preview in Wwise to .wen, you get a warning in the tool kit, "Song preview was not found" If you click yes, It will use the entire song for the preview.

So that's how I'm doing it now. My song selection is like a juke box, where I can listen to the full song form the song selection area, at least for the song I create.

5 answers to this question

It's possible that it may consume extra resources for the game (may be more of a problem for consoles than PC), but if not the worst that could happen may just be that the song package becomes twice as large (having acopy of the audio for the song and another copy for the preview).

Ok, but we already reuse same audio for preview and song(if no preview), so no enlarging occurred but its like with album art - if  you'll use 512 instead 256 - your album art will cover other songs at the bottom its important to keep things right... With preview I can control which place in the song you'll hear. Its easy to keep things right when you advanced charter, keep learning :)

The idea of the preview is that you can quickly recognize the song or that you get an idea what it sounds like. Many songs start with silence or with a very slow beginning that wouldn't help you decide if that's a song you'd want to play at that moment.

It takes all of five seconds to create the preview audio, another two seconds to convert it in wwise. What's the big deal?

Your idea of listening to the song isn't a bad one, but you can also do that while watching the noteway -- in LAS or the riff repeater.

To me, the previews are the aural equivalent of the album art. If they're done right, you know immediately what kind of song you're dealing with.