Can too many CDLCS cause crashes?

SCHWARTZTINTE_666

Question

I decided to add a few exercises and songs to RS. I had about 600 songs and now, with a few more and the exercises I have about 800. But now the game has started crashing.

I start playing normally and after a while, some album covers start disappearing from the list, themn I know that after playing about one or two songs the game will freeze when loading a new song (the usual "empty room" crash).

I rebooted, eliminated all duplicates, cleaned possible corrupt files with Steam and applied the Mac patch again, but the game keeps freezing after a few songs.

Can a corrupt CDLC cause this? Do I have too many songs on the dlc folder? I'll appreciate any help.

7 answers to this question

I decided to add a few exercises and songs to RS. I had about 600 songs and now, with a few more and the exercises I have about 800. But now the game has started crashing.

I start playing normally and after a while, some album covers start disappearing from the list, themn I know that after playing about one or two songs the game will freeze when loading a new song (the usual "empty room" crash).

I rebooted, eliminated all duplicates, cleaned possible corrupt files with Steam and applied the Mac patch again, but the game keeps freezing after a few songs.

Can a corrupt CDLC cause this? Do I have too many songs on the dlc folder? I'll appreciate any help.

It appears you are running on Mac?  I migrated from PC to Mac a bit ago and have found the same issue on the Mac.  The PC can flawlessly load up thousands of files, the Mac gets it knickers in a twist at about 1000 it seems.  I have not found a fix as yet.

I'm a PC user so cannot comment on how to fix this on a Mac. But if there is a numbers limit on Macs, then you may have to become more selective about how many CDLC files you're trying to load. Try cutting down your CDLC to half that number and see if it helps. I like having all my CDLC available for inspiration, but you my need to decide on a "top X" amount to keep in the DLC directory folder. You'd be able to keep your CDLC in a different folder and just migrate sets of files.

If the CustomsForge song manager is available for Macs, you could akso use that to disable a bunch of songs, and then reenable as desired. Tip: I just used the tool to help organize my 1300 CDLCs, and I don't recommend trying to disable the songs you "win" in the game. It led to a lot of restoring backup files until I gave in and used a song list to remove the "offending" content from my view.

Good luck.

I have managed to get to around 1900 before I get corruptions. I am starting to wonder if it is a memory leak or some other form of memory allocation bug in the Mac version of Rocksmith or if the patch in combination with the original causes some form of memory corruption. I can easily load up to 1900 in the first enumeration but going back to the boot screen and performing a second enumeration (the workaround for missing CDLC) will cause blank album art and loss of all songs. Renumeration will work if I have a number of songs bellow around 1600-1800 but cause errors if I have more  songs.

So maybe its the transit to 64-bit that's the cause (again :-)) 

I have managed to get to around 1900 before I get corruptions. I am starting to wonder if it is a memory leak or some other form of memory allocation bug in the Mac version of Rocksmith or if the patch in combination with the original causes some form of memory corruption. I can easily load up to 1900 in the first enumeration but going back to the boot screen and performing a second enumeration (the workaround for missing CDLC) will cause blank album art and loss of all songs. Renumeration will work if I have a number of songs bellow around 1600-1800 but cause errors if I have more  songs.

I forgot to point that I updated the OS to Catalina, which seemed to make the problem even worse.

It appears you are running on Mac?  I migrated from PC to Mac a bit ago and have found the same issue on the Mac.  The PC can flawlessly load up thousands of files, the Mac gets it knickers in a twist at about 1000 it seems.  I have not found a fix as yet.

I decided to take out the dlc folder quite a few and I left about 500, and now it works like a charm. What I'll do, in case some of them are corrupt, is to add just a few every time I'm gonna play and then see when it starts happening. 

I didn't update to Catalina yet, another reason to stick with Mojave for a little more time :) 

It seems like to long filenames can cause these problems in the Mac version. http://customsforge.com/topic/33889-how-to-add-custom-songs-on-mac/page-17#. I have renamed all my dlc using the CFSM ( thanx Cozy1) and now I can load my 2350 songs and everything works ass expected.

I'll try that too, sounds like a great idea.

For the record, in reddit someone pointed out that save files could get corrupted and cause the crash, so he suggested to "clean" them. But I really don't know how to do that. Any clues? 

Maybe by piling up solutions, we Mac users can finally enjoy the game :)

• Like 1