Pitch Shifter Drops Too Much

andehhh

Hey folks, first off, thanks for the awesome tooling! Shame this isn't open source as I would have liked to help.

Anyhow, the issue I'm having is that on v1.5.7.2, pitch shifting isn't working as expected.

Reproduction
 - Select any CDLC song in CFSM that is in "Eb drop Db" tuning
 - Hit "Custom Mods" -> "Pitch Shifter"
 - Wait for pitch shifting to complete
 - Open rocksmith
 - Open pitch shifted song
 - Tune guitar to drop D
 - Once the song starts, play the high E string

Expected result
 - The note played is transposed 1 step down

Actual result
 - The note played is transposed multiple (3/4) steps down

Other notes
 - I came across this issue which seems related. 
 - I tried doing this with a song that doesn't have drop tuning (D standard) and the same issue occured

• Developer

First, I'd like to thank you for the precise and well formated report of the issue!

As for the problem itself, it would appear that we've had this problem since we added the feature back in the day, cos I found a comment in the code, linking to the exact same thread that you linked. Huh...

The way that the "pitch shifting" works is that it adds a pitch shift pedal in the first slot the pedal chain of each tone in a song, so for it to shift from D Std/Drop C to E Std/Drop D, respectively, is to add -2 as the shift value.

Now, I've looked at the part of the code that determines how much to add as that value, and I noticed that the value of String0's tuning (the lowest string) is used, irregardless of whether a standard or a drop tuning is used. Which shouldn't be the case, because if a song is in Drop Db, or -3 in the numerical format - all strings will be shifted -3 half steps down !  Instead of just going down for half a step. So we should probably change it so that it determines the shift based on the highest, not the lowest string.

But that doesn't explain why it also happens for Standard tunings. I checked a random D Std song and it added (as it's expected to do) a -2 half step shift. Could you please make a random shifted Standard tuning song, go into the game and toy with the values a bit for the pitch shift pedal, to determine whether -2 is actually -2 half steps ?

Thanks for the response!

I checked a random D Std song and it added (as it's expected to do) a -2 half step shift.

Huh okay that's different to what I experienced - I'll try another song when I have time and link the song and results.

I'd be interested in tinkering around - am I right in thinking this project isn't currently open source?

• Developer

I'm sorry, I forgot to reply.

It did add what should effect in a -2 half step shit, but it's not necessarily 100% confirmed the pedal works the way we expected it to work, so... YMMV. (i.e. pls test manually)

You are right, unfortunately it's not, but you can achieve the same thing using the RS Toolkit and messing with the Tone Editor, just with a tad bit more work. :P  

• Administrator

@@Lovroman "but it's not necessarily 100% confirmed the pedal works the way we expected it to work, so..."

What do you need to know about it?

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity