EoF No Longer Recognizing Keyboard Inputs

mojokilla

Hey folks, hoping for a bit of help. 

EoF was working without issue prior to today, but after loading up today EoF no longer recognizes my keyboard (no inputs recognized in the editor, menus, etc). 

I've tried restarting the PC and the program multiple times, closed all other apps and windows, etc. Not sure if there is a setting or file that I can check or change, but hoping for some guidance!

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Something has to have changed. Does the line in the Information Panel that has CTRL, ALT, SHIFT statuses along with the last read scan code and ASCII code change at all when you press keys? Assuming Windows, if you open File>Load, does Windows's file browser recognize your keyboard input?

did you install any OS or driver updates recently? Did you change your keyboard or any particular keyboard settings in the OS (including input method editors, such as for foreign languages)? Do you happen to have multiple keyboards connected to the comupter (wired or wirelessly)? If you have a spare cheap keyboard lying around, can you try using it instead of your current one to see if that makes a difference?

Yeah, it's totally weird, not sure if anything changed with the OS, but I don't think there was an update between yesterday and today. Other than that, no differences software or OS-wise, at least that I'm aware of. 

It doesn't register any presses and isn't responding in the read scan mode to CTRL, ALT, etc. It does work within the window to load a file, i.e. I can type a file name in the windows window that pops up, but then no response when back in EoF. Totally bizarre. I'll have to grab a cheap extra keyboard from work tomorrow and bring it home to see if it's a hardware thing, but it's the only thing that isn't working with the keyboard, so I'll be surprised.

Lastly, I tried another install (well, unzipped file) of EoF and it's having the same problem. So, something is obviously not right... 

I appreciate your help and getting back to me about it. Let me know if you think of anything, but don't lose any sleep over it. I'm more curious what happened at this point and figured I'd ask if you've encountered this issue before. 

Cheers, mate!

Somebody else mentioned that problem in the past (http://customsforge.com/topic/1529-latest-eof-releases-10-30-2019/page-129?p=316382&do=findComment&comment=316382), but the issue went away on its own for unknown reasons (ie. probably a cause external to EOF). It's hard to say what the problem could be. You could try the exkeys test program in that post to see if it detects your keyboard input.

• 6 months later...

These kind of issues are almost always caused by things not related to EOF.  You never have to run EOF as administrator.  You should never try to run EOF from a restriction part of your file system such as within either of the "Program Files" folders.  If your antivirus software is interfering with EOF, you may have to whitelist it in order for EOF to work normally.

Are you running Windows 10 natively?  EOF generally always works in this scenario, and this kind of keyboard issue turns out to be caused by some other software.  Otherwise the troubleshooting steps I posted earlier apply in your case as well.

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, raynebc said:

Are you running Windows 10 natively?  EOF generally always works in this scenario, and this kind of keyboard issue turns out to be caused by some other software.  Otherwise the troubleshooting steps I posted earlier apply in your case as well.

No kiddin. I tried Software Keyboard from Win 10 do adjust display resolution. It works. Now hardware keyboard works as well for this field. Just stopped working after loading a song project.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a real pain. When it happens I go to import a Guitar Pro file. When the import popup window appears I close it immediately and the problem dissapears for 10 mins or so...

Let music bring peace to our soul, and unite us above our tribes.