Is Rocksmith making me play sloppy?

Rcrai

I have been participating in the Championship for a few years now. I don't post much scores anymore but I download the songs and play them every week. 

I have started to notice lately that when I play song a bit out of my league I can cheat the system and play to note recognition but its not clean. And I don't make it clean. Due to trying to make the best score in a week. 

So I took a step back and went through the rocksmith lessons. And found out some weaknesses I have. Like palm muting. Holy crap does that lesson just throws you in to the fire with the end song. Yeah I can palm mute but the mute and unmute while fast picking can be challenging. I noticed some bending and sliding nuances that I was missing as well.

I guess the point of this post is that just playing songs in rocksmith will leave a lot on the table. With a full band in a song it is easy to hide mistakes and bad playing.  I have found much more control and tone in the lessons and session mode. Noodling around with the songs I know or some scales are very valuable. 

• Like 1

• Administrator

It's why it is very important to be self critical of your playing and not just go for scores. The game recognition is only looking for pitch and timing, it isn't perfect and have some leniency to not make it too frustrating but it's in a no way a good judge for musicality so you have to judge yourself on that part which is why i always suggest to mix the music down a lot (i have it at 60%) so that you can hear yourself more easily and really stand out.

• Like 7

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Thanks Firekorn! I turned down the band to 60 (I had it at 80).  I can hear myself much better and focus on making my playing clean. I have also decided I need to learn to actually know the guitar. So I've started down the road of learning the scales and notes on the fretboard. Taking lessons through Justinguitar and Steve Stine. Trying to have a real understanding of music. 

All I have to say about that is jamming in RS and actually learning guitar is two totally different things. 

AKA: sight reading and playing power chords is way easier than moving through scales in 3rds and calling out the notes as you play them. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Thanks Firekorn! I turned down the band to 60 (I had it at 80).  I can hear myself much better and focus on making my playing clean. I have also decided I need to learn to actually know the guitar. So I've started down the road of learning the scales and notes on the fretboard. Taking lessons through Justinguitar and Steve Stine. Trying to have a real understanding of music. 

All I have to say about that is jamming in RS and actually learning guitar is two totally different things. 

AKA: sight reading and playing power chords is way easier than moving through scales in 3rds and calling out the notes as you play them. 

Just started Guitar this year. Working on both methods of learning.

Just got Rocksmith a few weeks ago, but it is great for working on transitions and getting the fingering and picking down without always looking down. And, it is fun which keeps me at it longer.

Also, trying to get some theory in and memorize the notes along the fretboard. Don't have a structured plan for this yet though.

I also have the band turned down so I can hear my guitar better, but plan on setting up where I can split the Guitar to Rocksmith and my amp so it sounds better.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

My 2 cents. I don`t plug into RockSmith anymore, like ever. I`d like to think I`ve become a bit more advanced (ear training, rythm), because I practice in pianomarvel, bass, guitar, jazz, etc and I`ll tell you this one thing-Play through a separate amp and listen for yourself. Day after day and week after week you`ll start noticing things, fix them and play better and better. Your timing and technique will improve exponentially. But be prepared to give more effort too.

Ditch the fucking cable,  get an amp, play with both your guitar AND the band really loud, count the rythm, be in the pocket, enjoy those sweet guitar gains.

P.S. Never, ever be afraid to go even at 50% speed, until you can play that cleanly. If you play the song 3-5 times at 70%, magic will start to happen.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...