Unpack DLC and import the XML back into EOF then export to MIDI?

spiritofcat

I want to convert Rocksmith 2014 DLC and CDLC into MIDI files to use with Synthesia.

I've been told that EOF can export to MIDI, so I've been trying to figure it out.

Here's what I've done so far.

I've got the RS Toolkit and EOF both installed.

I've used the RS Toolkit to unpack swinglifeaway_p.psarc

I've located the bass, lead, rhythm, showlights and vocals XML files.

When I first open EOF, the Rocksmith Import function is greyed out.

If I choose File>New it asks me for an MP3 or ogg file.

I tried selecting the tutorial.ogg file, and then I was able to access Song>Track and chance it to PART REAL_BASS.

Once I was on PART REAL_BASS, it let me use File>Rocksmith Import and I imported the bass XML file.

With that done, I can click play and it scrolls through showing me the notes so I know it has imported correctly.

The only thing I'm stuck on now is how to export a MIDI file from it.

Edit:

Actually, after saving the project I had a look through the project files and there's a notes.mid file that seems to be what I was after, so it looks like my problem is solved!

Edit again:

Listening to the MIDI file it doesn't sound like all the notes are there...

There's something there, but it doesn't sound much like the song.

EOF doesn't export a standard musical notation style MIDI. MIDI just happens to be the file format used for various rhythm games like Frets on Fire, Phase Shift, Rock Band, etc. The only Rock Band tracks that are similar to a normal musical MIDI are those for vocals and pro keys, as they store the real musical notes.

If there's enough demand for it, I could probably have EOF export a musical MIDI file that has the right pitches for the tablature (ie. the notes it plays with the MIDI tones feature). Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 1

EOF doesn't export a standard musical notation style MIDI. MIDI just happens to be the file format used for various rhythm games like Frets on Fire, Phase Shift, Rock Band, etc. The only Rock Band tracks that are similar to a normal musical MIDI are those for vocals and pro keys, as they store the real musical notes.If there's enough demand for it, I could probably have EOF export a musical MIDI file that has the right pitches for the tablature (ie. the notes it plays with the MIDI tones feature). Let me know what you guys think.

What a great idea. Never thought of that, I use Synthesia also

:wub: My mother said I could grow up to be anything I wanted

So I became an Asshole. :D

EOF doesn't export a standard musical notation style MIDI. MIDI just happens to be the file format used for various rhythm games like Frets on Fire, Phase Shift, Rock Band, etc. The only Rock Band tracks that are similar to a normal musical MIDI are those for vocals and pro keys, as they store the real musical notes.If there's enough demand for it, I could probably have EOF export a musical MIDI file that has the right pitches for the tablature (ie. the notes it plays with the MIDI tones feature). Let me know what you guys think.

Yeah, that'd be really helpful for me, and anyone else who was trying to port songs from Rocksmith to Synthesia.

Synthesia is in active development, and apparently they're planning on making use of Music XML in an upcoming version. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but since Rocksmith arrangements are also a type of XML file, maybe further cross compatibility could be achieved.

If you were interested in adding Synthesia to the list of music games that EOF supports maybe you could talk with Nicholas over on https://www.synthesiagame.com/forum/ and find out how best to export to formats that Synthesia can work with...

Synthesia currently only uses normal MIDI files. I wasn't planning on adding Synthesia features to EOF until I finally get around to adding pro keys authoring capability. About a year and a half ago, I was getting ready to finalize EOF 1.8 because the pro guitar features in EOF had just about reached full functionality for RB3. And then people started investigating how to make custom songs for Rocksmith. The rest, as they say, is history.