Wiring of a P-bass

Helderdje

Hello people,

My girlfriend's got a (not Fender) P-bass pretty cheap, and it hadn't got any pickups.

So I told her I could try and wire it for her, if she buys some pickups.

Her dad then bought pickups without a brand or whatsoever, and after checking wiring diagrams I don't think they can be wired into the bass, but I'm not sure. 

I've got some pictures of the Pickups:

http://i.imgur.com/Zfo33oJ.jpg

As you see, the blue wire is the connection of the elements, then there's the yellow wire to connect to the volume control, but all pickups and wire diagrams I've seen have another wire also going to the volume control. My girlfriend's dad says it should work by cutting the wires between the two elements, and wire them via the cavity, but I really don't see how this works.. 

Can somebody explain how I should do this or why it isn't possible? My girlfriend is dying to start practicing bass.

Here is the cavity of the bass:

http://i.imgur.com/EzImLCT.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Helderdje

well looks like we got a small problem here.1 cable only. well what i would do is remove a little bit from the plastic jacketto see if there is a other wire in there or really only 1 or not.

only opening not cut off

but be carefull not that u cut something import.

if there is a second wire in problem solved, if not then make a picture maybe somewone will see something.

Sometimes the ground is wrapped around the lead -- like Olorin said, make a little slit in the end of the yellow wire, see if there's a second smaller plastic-covered wire inside -- that will be your lead, the uncoated wire around it would be the ground.

The blue wire connects the two pickups together, I wouldn't touch that.

Anyway, if you want to score some points with your girlfriend (and her dad), spring for a new set of pups and the wiring harness to go with -- something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Squier-Precision-P-Bass-Guitar-Pickups-Harness-Replacement-Parts-/390812911623?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5afe43c807

• 2 weeks later...

One of those coils appears to be missing it's lead.

It's fairly easy to fix if you're competent with a soldering iron.  You will see two grommet-style "eyelets" on the bottom of each pickup.  One has a lead that goes to the other coil.  The other lead is missing. 

You should be able to replace it with any decent, similar  wire.  Using a soldering iron, heat the drop of solder at the eyelet, and push the wire through carefully.  Don't "camp" on the solder too long, or you run the risk of burning the fine coil wire -- it's finer than the hair on your head.

I've been a pickup designer and manufacturer for 15 years.  If you wish, I can do it for you for only shipping costs.  Cheap shipping, if you're int he US. 

• Like 1

One of those coils appears to be missing it's lead.

It's fairly easy to fix if you're competent with a soldering iron.  You will see two grommet-style "eyelets" on the bottom of each pickup.  One has a lead that goes to the other coil.  The other lead is missing. 

You should be able to replace it with any decent, similar  wire.  Using a soldering iron, heat the drop of solder at the eyelet, and push the wire through carefully.  Don't "camp" on the solder too long, or you run the risk of burning the fine coil wire -- it's finer than the hair on your head.

I've been a pickup designer and manufacturer for 15 years.  If you wish, I can do it for you for only shipping costs.  Cheap shipping, if you're int he US. 

Hey,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late answer. 

Unfortunately I haven't been able to be there since I posted this.

Her dad has tried to wire the thing, with no success, because he probably cut the blue wire that's connecting the two coils in half (even after I told him that probably isn't going to work.) and I'm not even sure if he even looked at a wiring diagram, but anyways.. 

thanks for the info, I will look at the bottom of the pickups next time I'm there and see if I can figure out what you mean, if I can't figure out what you mean I'll take some pics. I already looked at each side of the pickup without a wire, but I don't think there was anywhere there, can't recall I looked at the bottom. It also sounds like it's a pretty though job for someone with not a lot soldering experience.

And also, thanks for the offer but I have to refuse. I live in Europe so shipping will probably be quite expensive.