Unusual instrument experiment

firekorn

• Administrator

With some new information and knowing that RS recognize a lot of sound a part from guitar and bass, i propose to build some CDLC with some other instrument than guitar and bass like violin or Piano or even voice. We have to keep in mind that the display will stil be as it is and that the tuning part needs to be passed.

I don't have a lot of time to chart this at the moment myself but i'm sure some will gladly try this out and i will help in any way possible those who wants to try it.

The goal here is to pushed the boundaries of Rocksmith away from the guitar and the bass as far as possible and any crazy idea is welcome.

Of course we will need people to try it and mostly instrument that goes with it! The only obligation is to be able to get the signal into the RS cable (you can try to record to make sure it works fine).

If anyone is up to it and want to participate, indicate what you can do (testing along with the instrument or charting) and i will list it so that we can start as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I have a mandobird.

At some point I'm going to take a shot at doing a custom for it, probably something out of Dagger Gordon's Scottish mandolin book.  Should work for electric violin too since they use the same tuning.

Assuming the tuning works, I foresee 2 problems:

• Having to tune and then having to go into the tuner again to get the second string in each pair.  
  • I'm a little worried that someone will unwittingly download this not knowing what it is, try to crank their guitar or bass up to mandolin range and snap a string.

• Administrator

1. That could be a problem but not really a big one since you always have a tuner available in game. It's up to the player to make sure that his instrument is tuned.

2. That's already a problem that we might encounter on the 5 strings bass part in a guitar arrangement in Rocksmith, the player by not reading the release note go in front of this kind of problem and by putting it on a bonus arrangement you reduce the chance that he play it accidentaly. Having sufficient fail-safe might be great and this thread will allow every one to think about it and see what can be done.

The reason of this thread is also to keep track of those CDLC that might be unplayable by actual guitar or bass because indicating this in a clear way in the CDLC search might not be the easiest or best thing to do.

It's clear that every instrument with less than 6 strings will be perfect for this but i'm sure we can go more crazy than that like piano or trompet or whatever...

If you need any help to set up everything correctly in EOF and in the toolkit, don't hesitate to pm me.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Looks like violin tuning is G3 D4 A4 E5. So, for a bass part to get the right notes in the same relation to E1 A1 D2 G2 the tuning should be set to +3,+5,+7,+9. Now we'll be at G1 D2 A2 E3, or two octaves below, and we'll correct that by setting the pitch two octaves higher to 1760 Hz (don't know if it will accept numbers this high).

Just wanted to check in and let you guys know that I made a quick custom for mandoiln to test and it seems to work.

Tuning screen is a little screwy but it works:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=255366549

I only charted the first 4 measures, 22 notes in all, so this screenshot shows that the note detection works pretty well:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=255367052

Things to keep in mind:

• I couldn't figure out why I had to tune at the 12th fret - then I realized I had emulated bass turned on.
  • It's important to calibrate or note detection will be utter crap.

LINK to folder containing psarc, xml and eof files

I think I'm finally going to get some use out of this impulse purchase.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Glad that it work!

The problem with the name of the tuning is known (it's already the case for the 5 strings bass track) but it's inherent to the tuning you set so unless you find a tuning which correspond to one of the RS known tuning, it will allways be like this.

I have to try it with my trombone but i will have to use my microphone with it, that could be a bit messy...

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Administrator

Just played 3 bass songs on my trombone with a mic and it works great on RS ends and i played like shit but that's hard to read a tab and to play it... Now i have to make partition for it so that i can keep the real music sheet in front of me with RS for the sounds/rr possibility.

• Like 3

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• Administrator

If you have any kind of partition (even a scan) and information of the tuning or at least the notes that you can play so that you can pass the tuning part. I might be able to do something out of it.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

If you have any kind of partition (even a scan) and information of the tuning or at least the notes that you can play so that you can pass the tuning part. I might be able to do something out of it.

When I get some time, I'll try and get this for ya. I've actually been messing around with doing the some of the lead riffs (or maybe its synth?) on Only for the Weak with my bagpipes. Always pictured them sorta fitting in... maybe this can be our first experiment?Hardest part will be figuring out how to map the possible nine notes in a highland bagpipe to the playing interface of rocksmith. 

When I get some time, I'll try and get this for ya. I've actually been messing around with doing the some of the lead riffs (or maybe its synth?) on Only for the Weak with my bagpipes. Always pictured them sorta fitting in... maybe this can be our first experiment?Hardest part will be figuring out how to map the possible nine notes in a highland bagpipe to the playing interface of rocksmith. 

Apparently bagpipes aren't tuned according to 440 but a slightly higher pitch?

Never though I'd be learning stuff about bagpipes and violins and whatnot through Rocksmith :P

• Administrator

When i started playing trombone on bass part, the hardest things was to figure out the corresponding position on the trombone compared to the tab, and i simply made a table with the trombone position corresponding to each and fret and strings in E standard and it help me a lot to figure out easy song quickly (you can take a look at the halestorm - i miss the misery video i made to see that i'm not that bad).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Never though I'd be learning stuff about bagpipes and violins and whatnot through Rocksmith :P

|I'm not sure what 440 even means! Great Highland Bagpipe music is usually written in a key of D Major, i believe.From wiki : " Highland bagpipe music is written in the key of D major, where the C and F are sharp (despite the key-signature usually being omitted from scores). Due to the lack of chromatic notes, to change key is also to change modes; tunes are in A Mixolydian, D Major, B Minor, or occasionally E Mode."

Redpipe supports alot of sounds , though : http://redpipes.eu/Seiten_engl/technologie/tech2_0.html

|I'm not sure what 440 even means! Great Highland Bagpipe music is usually written in a key of D Major, i believe.From wiki : " Highland bagpipe music is written in the key of D major, where the C and F are sharp (despite the key-signature usually being omitted from scores). Due to the lack of chromatic notes, to change key is also to change modes; tunes are in A Mixolydian, D Major, B Minor, or occasionally E Mode."

Redpipe supports alot of sounds , though : http://redpipes.eu/Seiten_engl/technologie/tech2_0.html

What I meant is that from what I've read the frequencies of the notes you produce with a bagpipe do not directly correspond to any frets on a bass or guitar tuned according to A440.

What I meant is that from what I've read the frequencies of the notes you produce with a bagpipe do not directly correspond to any frets on a bass or guitar tuned according to A440.

With the redpipes, I can adjust pitch too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got around to this finally today.Rocksmith connects right up to my redpipes via my 1/4 inch port/connector easily. I set myself up on the Rhythm path and went into Tools (where you can see the tuner).From default settings on a redpipe, using the default Great Highland Bagpipe sound (at 446 hz), and the GHB Standard Fingering, Rocksmith was able read my notes, albeit slightly one note higher (low G became a low A, C became a D). However, the redpipes allow me to change my key, so by ticking that downwards a few times I was able to get it to read legitly. You can take a look at the redpipes manual here : http://redpipes.eu/vorlagen/Bedinungsanleitung/Bed_e_11_12_a6.pdfOn page 16 (of the pdf, page 14 of the booklet) you can see the fingering table along with the notes for the scottish mixolydian and what is actually heard.I actually have a transcription of the beginning of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7_tcwsj4EI'm going to take a stab at making it and adapting it to rocksmith so I can practice (its a pretty fast tune for me, I've only been taking lessons for 6 months).Anyone have any suggestions for setting up the tuning? 12 frets on a guitar/bass are equal to an octave higher, right?

• Administrator

The page 16 of the pdf correspond to the page 13 of the booklet

Using this, here how i would set the tuning in EOF :

String 1 : -6 = A#3

String 2 : -3 = G#3

String 3 : -2 = F3

String 4 : 0 = D3

String 5 : 2 = B2

String 6 : 4 = G#2

With this you go through one note out of two but you will have to set the A at 880 because you suppose to be an octave higher than what i indicate in the tuning (going from G#3 to C4)

I set this so that the tab will also be easy to look at since you have all the note on the following order (using the tuning and the A880) :

--------------------------0-1-

---------------------0-1------

----------------0-1-----------

-----------0-2----------------

------0-1---------------------

-0-1--------------------------

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Might be a bit tricky, all the notes the regular frets produce on a guitar or bass are 100 cents away from each other. On a bagpipe it looks like all the notes aren't exactly separated by 100 cents, for example the difference between natural C and C is about 70 cents. I think you will have to experiment with bends to make some notes slightly sharper but not by 100 cents.

But to get started with the tuning, looks like the lowest note is (roughly) G4 at A466. Let's say you want to make that be displayed as the 1st fret on a bass part. So G is +3 from the E string, but if we wanna have it at the first fret we'll set the tuning to +2. Then we'll be at Gb1, so to get it to the correct octave we'll have to set the pitch 3 octaves higher. But we'll have to take the initial change in pitch to account also, so the pitch will be 466*2^3=3728.

• Administrator

@@Ross : Funny how we found two different setup for this.

To clarify how i found what i proposed :

I based myself on the actual partition they gave in the PDF and reproduce it on Guitar Pro 6. From there i simply set the tuning on Guitar Pro 6 to get one note out of two (since there is twelve note available) as actual open strings but going up to the correct octave wouldn't be possible in EOF so i just set the tuning one octave down.

Looking at the PDF you can adjust the pitch but it's supposed to be at 440Hz as stated in the PDF. You can also change in which key you are which change completely the note you will be able to play.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 3 weeks later...

I recently started taking violin lessons and I had wondered if something like this was possible.  I think I may start charting something fairly easy and then if it works well, I may eventually work my way up to Paganini's Caprice #7.  ;)

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.