Unusual instrument experiment

firekorn

finally fixed my Electro-Acoustic Concert Ukelele...
so... i'm keen to try this out however...
I was wondering if Low-G Tuning Was as easy as...

3-12 = -9 *** For Low-G instead of High G

------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 String Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukuleles
regular Key of C tuning
String Note Pitch in Hertz 4 G 392.0 3 C 261.6 2 E 329.6 1 A 440.0

4 String Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukuleles
Key of C (low g) tuning
String Note Pitch in Hertz 4 G 196.0 3 C 261.6 2 E 329.6 1 A 440.0

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

• 2 months later...

Thank you for posting this info.  I was able to generate some 4 string ukulele on the bass track.  Definitely a plus.  

Am a total cdlc creator newbie, can't seem to get past the tuning.  

At 3.52 khz, it is able to detect my low g, but fail to the next string, c.  At least I could play along in disconnected mode, and  excited about that.  I can play along and teach my 10 year old niece. She was already excited when I set  session mode and play the uke through it. I play a custom made 4 string tenor with a Cordoba pickup.   The song I charted is created using guitar pro 6 (.gp5 file) with standard g4-c4-e4-a4 tuning.  Much appreciated if there are additional advice to get past the tuning part.

Will put this aside for now.  Maybe on my next free time, I will try to chart my 6 string uke with the guitar track, maybe I might get better results with that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got some free time today, so went ahead and did two successful experiments, both giving me positive results:

Using the following tools:  RSToolkit v2.8.4.0-420e01fc and Editor On fire 1.8 RC12.hotfix.

1)  4- string ukulele test. Imported a few notes and chords into a bass track with G1-C1-E1-A1  tuning and 3520 Hz tuning pitch.  This time it worked! Rocksmith was able to recognize my ukulele.  This time though I used my stock off-the-shelf ukulele, a Cordoba 20TM-CE Tenor.    It also worked on my other custom ukulele.  The difference was I was using an older version of the RSToolkit.

2) 8-string ukulele test.  With this one I figured with a standard tuned guitar and then putting a capo on the 5th fret, my 8 string will have the necessary frequencies  similar to the guitar so I don't need to do any special tuning.  My 8 string uke standard tuning is  G4g3-C4c3-E4E4-A4A4.   Standard guitar tuning with a capo on the 5th fret gives me A2-D3-G3-C4-E4-A4.

I created  a 6 string rhythm test track that only uses the 4 high strings of a guitar and capo on the 5th fret.  The "hocus pocus" trick for me is that I had to  tune the standard 6 string guitar, put on the capo, tune to the first two guitar strings, and THEN swap my 8 string uke, tune to the rest of strings.   I was able to hit all the notes on my test track.

3) I was also able to test my 4 string ukulele similar to my second experiment.  I created a bonus six string standard guitar with capo on the 5th fret.  My test track only used the high strings, and my ukulele is tuned to g3-C4-E4-A4.

All I have to do next is to start learning how to really create decent charts for the ukulele so I can add new instruments to play along with RockSmith.

• Like 1

I was thinking about making some Ukulele CDLC since i have a one with a 1/4" jack now :)

but it'll probably have multiple tunings...

for example I tend prefer Low C (Non Re-Entrant Tuning) for my own ukulele...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...

After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂

I can't seem to figure out how to embed a simple screenshot.

Anyway, today I was finally able to generate a simple ukulele rhythm into a song and crerate a cdlc.  Now, I can't get past the tuning.  I can go on disconnected mode and play through the cdlc, but my ukulele is not recognized.  I don't know what is going on yet why yesterday, my experiments worked flawlessly, and today, my instrument can't get past tuning.

I opened up EOF just to check things out.  Went to Edit guitar tuning.  I expected to see the following offsets:

3  G

- 9  C

-10 E

-10 A

Instead, I get the following offsets on the menu:

3 G

-9 C

-1 C#

-1 F#

I went to the song.ini file and manually edited the contents so they would stick.

Now went back and generated new cdlcs, the tuning is now:

EOF

G     C     E      A

3     -9   -10  -10

RSToolkit

G  C    E     A   B   E

3  -9  -10  -10   0   0

Tuning Pitch @3520

in Rocksmith my tuning turned out to be:

G4-C5-E5-A5

For references, this is the 18th fret of the standard guitar, one octave higher from the 5th fret if you are using your guitar as a guitalele.

Any ideas?

I can't get the "ukulele bass tunings" nailed down, but I can certainly get the rhythm guitar capo trick and then just use the 4 high strings only using my ukulele.

Using a rhythm six string guitar bonus track:

1) I can hit all the notes using g3-C4-E4-A4 tuning with 4 strings. 

2) I can play along with the ukulele tuned to G4-C4-E4-A4, but will not hit all the notes.

3) I can use my 8 string ukulele with the same setup and hit all the notes as well.

Pros:

It works! I can play along somebody else with a ukulele

Cons:

Put up with switching instruments when I initially tune,  and of course, the capo on the 5th fret and fret numbering might be confusing to some using the ukulele.

Using the Bass track:

1) Until I figure out what's wrong, I can only play in disconnected mode, but the layout looks like it was made for a ukulele, not bass.

-----------------

Here is a quick video clip proof of concept that it is possible to play along with rocksmith.  For some reason, the audio got destroyed during the conversion.  The clip shows what the tracks look like in Bass mode and guitar mode.

------------------

So, I will call that a win, at least now I can start charting some ukulele accompanied rhythm tunes. 

Hopefully this will get the attention of some expert charter who is also a  ukulele player and start charting some Jake Shimabukuro tunes.

Update October 8, 2017:

Something hinky about how the frequencies are detected.  I cleaned up my bass track ukulele a little bit this morning with EOF and repacked my cdlc with RSToolkit,  in this round of changes, my ukulele tuning is recognized on the bass track,  really weird ...  

Additional insight/observation, I don't know how the notes are detected, but  both tunings used in EOF and RSToolkit are randomly recognized:

Standard 4 string Bass tuning

E1 A1 D2 G2

0    0   0    0

Ukulele tuning on bass track

G   C   E    A

3   -9 -10 -10    = G1 C0 E1 A1

G   C   E    A

3    3 -10 -10    = G1 C1 E1 A1

• Like 2

i think there was a limit between the lowest tuning for a string in EoF and the highest you have of 12 or something... 

-10 -> +3 = >13 ***PROBLEM i think...

can't recall where i read about this... maybe i'm remembering wrong...

Actually, I think that limitation was removed.  I asked the developers to change that so we could achieve High-strung / Nashville tuning, which tunes the top 4 strings of a guitar up one octave (+12 on the top 4 strings).  Whereas, previously +/- 11 was the limit.

• Like 1

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.