EoF tuning limit

Ross

Hello

Related to the bass low tuning workaround I was wondering if the limitation of the tuning range to -11...11 in EoF is really necessary. For some tunings you would have to set the tunings to 12, for example B-A-D-G would be 7,12,12,12 with the fix. The toolkit seems to accept values of 12 and above, but EoF doesn't.

I've been wondering if it would be possible to make a 4 string arrangement starting with bass and cranking the tuning up to GDAE in violin range (+27 or so half steps).  I have an electric mandolin I think I'd get a lot more use out of if I could play it with Rocksmith.  You say it's limited by EOF?

Tuning all but one string up a full octave sounds like an extremely rare practice to me. EOF doesn't really do much of anything regarding what octave a note is in, so you could probably just set the tuning to 7,0,0,0. Also, just because a tuning can be set in the toolkit doesn't mean Rocksmith will handle it will, we've seen it with really low tunings. I don't know if it will have the same problem with really high tunings as well. They probably optimized their pitch detection for the more standard ranges of guitar/bass frequencies.

Tuning all but one string up a full octave sounds like an extremely rare practice to me. EOF doesn't really do much of anything regarding what octave a note is in, so you could probably just set the tuning to 7,0,0,0. Also, just because a tuning can be set in the toolkit doesn't mean Rocksmith will handle it will, we've seen it with really low tunings. I don't know if it will have the same problem with really high tunings as well. They probably optimized their pitch detection for the more standard ranges of guitar/bass frequencies.

That's the thing, Rocksmith will handle the really low tunings if you mess around in EoF and the toolkit. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the workaround we've found.

http://customsforge.com/topic/4750-going-low-a-workaround-to-get-bass-notes-below-c1-to-register-in-rocksmith/

http://customsforge.com/topic/5227-5-strings-bass-and-low-note-recognition/

I didn't see firekorn's thread earlier for some reason. EOF doesn't store octave information for each string so this isn't something that can be immediately added. Specialized tunings should be easy to set up in the toolkit though, and as long as the note names given for each string in EOF are accurate, the chord names should be right (for chords in the first 7 intervals of each musical scale).

• Administrator

So from what i understand with both answer, as long as we have the right note name in the EOF tuning we're good.Then we just have to messes with the pitch to get the "right" octave for RS in the toolkit.

So creating part for any instrument on 4/5/6 strins is actually, in theory, possible with the way the tool works.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Maybe it could be possible to implement some notification in EoF when it detects you're setting the tuning to B or below for a bass part where it informs that it won't work in rocksmith, and would recommend setting the tuning an octave higher and the pitch to 220 Hz.

At this point propably a half of my messages on this forum have been about informing charters that the bass won't work with a low tuning without this trick :)

I had my own tuning problem last night, but it seems you guys are on the ball.

I was trying to get F standard tuning on the guitar (1 semitone up).  RS14 does not support this on guitar, but you can do it on bass.

EoF was just a case of setting all tuning to "1".  When importing the XML to the toolkit it got a bit weird.  I could only get FBbEbG#BE, which is fine for bass as it only has 4 strings, but pretty useless for guitar.

Incidentally, the bass worked (didn't try guitar) but I noticed the audio was still out of pitch so I detuned 25 cents and it was perfect.  So in the end I used E standard tuning with A460, which worked out perfect :)

Just a little story which may help someone sometime...

• Administrator

Well about the guitar, you can still get it to work by inverted the process we used for bass settings. Indicate -11 for every strings in EOF and the toolkit and doubling the pitch in the toolkit might get RS to recognize it correctly as a custom tuning.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I knew there would be a way and that you good people would know the answer if I got stuck :)

I was pretty lucky to find the correct tuning pitch of the audio, I usually crack up trying to find it.  Looking forward to getting the song out tonight, after I work on tones etc...

Well about the guitar, you can still get it to work by inverted the process we used for bass settings. Indicate -11 for every strings in EOF and the toolkit and doubling the pitch in the toolkit might get RS to recognize it correctly as a custom tuning.

The difference between all 1s and all -11s in EOF would just be the numbers written for the tuning in the XML file, otherwise EOF would treat those tunings as the exact same.As for halving the tuning pitch, I wonder if that kind of prompt/alert may be better off in the toolkit, since it's the program that is able to do something about it. There is a "centOffset" XML tag, but that's in cents and not Hertz, so I'm not immediately sure if that's the preferable way for EOF to alter the tuning pitch.

• Administrator

The toolkit already do it by himself very well with the cents information (-12000 for an octave down). About the prompt it might be better in the toolkit since it's here that we really change every things to set it right (even if EOF has to get the right tuning set or it will messes with the RS recognition system).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography