Suddenly Rocksmith is Crackly

tacticalcity

Question

This started last week. 6/15/19 or about then. Suddenly Rocksmith is making a crackling sound like an old worn out record.

I am on a PC.

It happens a little when not playing the instrument and the game is just making normal sounds on its own, a lot when I am playing the instrument. 

Now, I've played Rocksmith 2014 without issue since the day the game was released. So this is new. Likely the result of a forced update. Pisses me off they release these and they almost always cause some sort of issue. If it ain't broke don't fix it damn it. 

It happens with multiple cables, I tested three so far. So cables are not the issue. 

It happens with multiple instruments, I tested three so far each with their own separate profile calibrated for each bass guitar.

I followed a tutorial on the ubisoft site saying to edit the Rocksmith.ini file and change a setting to zero. That made it worse so I changed it back to 1 like it was before. 

I changed the audio exclusivity to Yes. Made no difference. 

I tried re-calibrating the instrument. Made no difference. 

This is really frustrating. I was getting damn near studio quality sound before. Now it sounds like crap. 

Please tell me somebody has a fix for this that actually works? As far as I can tell Ubisoft doesn't. 

6 answers to this question

UPDATE:

So I have this fixed...at least for the moment. 

I would love to tell you how I got it working. But it was a long complicated mess of trial and error that I wouldn't recommend. 

The gist is that I disabled the device in the Sound INPUT settings section. Which created a nightmare of trying to figure out how to get it back into that INPUT drop down menu. (Rocksmith would not detect it otherwise). Installing and reinstalling the device didn't help. Eventually I notice the "troubleshoot" button below INPUT on the Sound Settings in Windows and gave it shot. It gave me a list of devices I might be having trouble with. The Rocksmith USB Cable showed up on that list so I let the troubleshooter run. It said it fixed two problems and sure enough the cable was back in the INPUT drop down menu.

When I first launched the game the sound was terrible. Nothing but crackles. But once I selected my profile, all the crackles were gone. Completely gone. So it appears fixed. Kinda sorta. Not sure why it's such a mess when launching the game. But like that when I play it the sound is crisp and clean again. 

Sure wish they would stop pushing updates. Screwed me up royally. I know it was the update because I was annoyed I had to wait for the update to finish before I could play. Took a really long time. Then the sound was hosed after that. 

I'm still getting some crackling when playing. Not as much. And when I launch Rocksmith 2014 Remastered the opening music is nothing but crackling and popping and you can barely make out the song tat all. Once I choose my profile, the cracking and popping is fairly minimal now. But annoys the living hell out of me every time it happens. 

There are several older posts saying this happens when the hardware is lacking. But that is not the issue for me based on two things. 1) My hardware is phenomenal. They marketed this HP Envy 17.3" Laptop based on the awesome sound system that is included. 2) Given that the sound was perfect for two years and only suddenly after an update started having issues lets me know this is Ubisoft's fault. 

Was the forced update a Windows update or a Rocksmith update? If it was a Windows update then it isn't Ubisoft's issue it is Microsoft's issue. I still run on Windows 7 because of this. The Windows 7 PC is games only so I won't be changing it anytime soon.

If I've guessed right that it was a Windows update then the answer may lie somewhere in the Windows settings app but it could also be the driver for your awesome sound system. RS seems to prefer mediocre onboard sound systems and can get quite unhappy with more exotic sound hardware. You could try the HP site or the sound hardwares manufacturer for updated drivers, or even for older drivers. If it is an updated Windows driver that is causing your issue this may work, you could also try rolling back the driver version in Control panel, the trick is persuading Win10 to not immediately update it again.

Very best of luck and let us know if you figure it out.

Sadly no it was an update to the game. Steam updated, then notified me Rocksmith was updating before I could play it. Which took a good 15 minutes or more. Then the game launched and it has been crackly ever since.

I keep thinking I have it solved, but so far I have yet to find a fix. I've improved it to the point it's not a constant crackling...but haven't fixed it to the point that it doesn't crackle every thirty seconds or so. 

This started happening to me on mac a few months ago. I notice it happens less now, if I do things in a certain sequence. I always plug in realtone cable, after loading steam, but before I load rocksmith. When I use headphones, I always have to plug them in before the cable, otherwise crackling is guaranteed. When it does happen, I quit and restart, and 4/5 times the crackling is gone.