about DDs and songs played for the first time...

briefer

Question

Hi,

evertime I play a song for the first time the dificulty of the song is 0%. I need to open the rift repeater, select the whole song (0,0,0,0.....) and then raise manually the difficulty. This is quite annoying...

Is there a way to make this initial DD different from 0%? maybe if I raise my score in the guitarcade?

Thank you and kind regards ;)

8 answers to this question

One of the reasons that it doesnt set the difficulty level correctly is that alot of customs dont have DD, and so if you dont get 95%+ it lowers your "skill" because you didnt get a decent score on the simplest of levels. (even though its also the highest level because of no DD)

I have started going into riff repeater slowing the song way down and playing on 100% difficulty even on the songs with DD. Makes more since to me to learn the actual notes slowly and speed up then to learn the wrong notes (easier notes) first.

I'm hearing this a lot, and find I end up doing that, too. I play a song, thinking I'm getting better, only to find out I've been playing a watered down version. Then RS will suggest Riff Repeater to get my skill level up. Why not just start there, and learn the song straight up??

I have to believe it's a psychological technique of the game to keep new players from getting totally frustrated and chucking the game. At least what you suggest is a good enough workaround, and probably they figured out we would figure that out, too, after a while.

I have started going into riff repeater slowing the song way down and playing on 100% difficulty even on the songs with DD. Makes more since to me to learn the actual notes slowly and speed up then to learn the wrong notes (easier notes) first.

That's basically how I've learned songs for the past several years using Seventh String's Transcribe software. Just slow the song down, and figure it out. So when I started playing RS2014, and discovered the RR, and how it works, it's what I started doing. Just opening a song, immediately going into the RR, and start learning it at 100%, but slower. It works well for me. :)

I find it useful to do a couple of rounds of DD in the Learn a Song section, just listening to the song and the guitar part, studying the highlighted positions without the pressure of having to concentrate on all of the notes.

If DD is done properly -- that is, if the highlighted positions are correct -- then your fingers will always be in the proper position no matter what happens at higher difficulty levels. (Although I think it would be helpful if the chords are marked at the lowest difficulty, even if we're not playing the full chord yet).

Yup, that's what I do too. Means that you get your fingering correct right from the start.