Cold's Crap

coldrampage

Personally I found it worth the time and effort, whenever I see a "custom tuning" label I immediately have to get rid of it and add the tuning in! Since I play a lot of weird tunings, it's made it a lot easier to browse them without constantly clicking on songs to see what tunings they're in.

Though if you don't play a lot of low tuning songs it might not be worth it.

One of the things some of us are working on, is a way to fix all those custom tuning definitions without modifying the psarc files, if you have a list of the settings you've accumulated to remove as many of them as possible, please share it with me and if/when we manage to work out how to fix them the way we'd like, I'll make sure as many as we have defined are included. 

Sure no problem! Do you want the whole list of every tuning I've got in there (even the really weird rare ones) or just the many variants more common low tunings like B standard, Drop A, Bb, A standard etc?

If you want all of them, I can post screenshots of my tuning.database.json in its entirety or perhaps upload it to google drive so you can download and look through it. 

Sure no problem! Do you want the whole list of every tuning I've got in there (even the really weird rare ones) or just the many variants more common low tunings like B standard, Drop A, Bb, A standard etc?

If you want all of them, I can post screenshots of my tuning.database.json in its entirety or perhaps upload it to google drive so you can download and look through it. 

Share the file and if/when we are able to make it so, we can just copy/paste it all.

Share the file and if/when we are able to make it so, we can just copy/paste it all.

Here it is! 

I couldn't get the actual .json copied for some reason, so I just copied all the text inside it instead 

Should definitely still work for copypaste though. 

There are various different weird tunings in here I found in my time of actively seeking out weird tunings on CF, many variants of B standard and other 220 tunings, as well as some for different instruments (I have Cello and Violin at least in there).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdQl6axirXiD8STQYSxglm0gP1vZLUQr/view?usp=sharing

One thing to note:

The last few tunings, "E Standard 6 string", "Eb Standard 6 string" etc. are, as should be apparent from the numerical values, octave-down tunings I used for being able to play guitar charts on bass. You can omit those if you want, or if you want to keep them perhaps rename them to "E Standard Octave Down" etc. as that's what they'd be called on a guitar. I think there's a couple E standard octave down charts on here though so that at least might be useful. 

CUSTOM LOFT (KINDA)

AKA MODEL SWAPPING

You can copy other models from the game into the loft by inserting them into the "the_loft_plant.nif" model. You can't directly add them to or modify the loft.nif because it will kill the camera and animations.

You need the toolkit, nifskope and a program that can edit dds files.

The guide is using the plant.nif to add extra posters but you can (probably) add other models like from the guitarcade minigames. Or can also do this to add other models to other stuff as long as they don't have animations (.kf .kfm files)

Here's an already done one with extra posters (Paste contents in "assets\generic\env\the_loft"). You can just change the textures, paste it in and repack if you want. Or use the poster locations as reference for placing your own objects in-game since they're extra added in all main locations.

Zxb4emN.pngiQvQu0F.pngnwfVrlm.png3PNxetA.png
Guide

Make a copy of and unpack "venues\loft01.psarc"

Go to "assets\generic\env\the_loft" and replace "loft_sway_plant.dds" with a blank dds file. This is a workaround to make it invisible since deleting the mesh crashes the game.

Open "the_loft_plant.nif" and "the_loft_main.nif" in 2 seperate nifskope windows.

In the "the_loft_main.nif" click on the poster to select the "NiMesh" and then click on the "NiNode" it is parented to.
qmmdAGN.png

Right click on it and select block, copy branch
oz7ARUg.png

In the "the_loft_plant.nif" nifskope click on the "NiNode" scene root and then right click, block, paste branch.
ocM7dBQ.png

Go to "assets\generic\env\the_loft" and make a copy of "loft_posters.dds". Give it a name with no capitals or spaces. Open it in an image editor, change the poster on the right to something else and replace the rest of the image with black. (then save it)

qE4ZIUF.png

Now in the "the_loft_plant.nif" click on the poster and in the block list right click on "NiSourceTexture" and do texture, choose.

hVhLjcA.png

Select the texture you just made and in block details change the file name index from the full file path to just the file name.

rQps5SU.png

eg

e:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\rocksmith2014\venues\loft01_psarc_rs2014_pc\assets\generic\env\the_loft\tut.dds
to
tut.dds

ctIBDoa.png

By default its location is too far back to be seen, you need to increase it's X position or it will be through the wall.

Right click, transform, edit. Then when you are done, right click, transform, apply. Then save the nif.

I can't give much advice for the positions, it's just a lot of trial and error. You need to repack the loft.psarc and resave the nif each time and adjust accordingly.

I'll link my own plant.nif somewhere (check top), it's got posters added in all the main locations (guitarcade, main screen, las selection and an extra near the 3 posters on the wall) and you can use them for reference.

Also since this is through the plant model not the loft itself there is no real lighting/shadows so the model may be too dark. The easiest way to fix this is to change the emission value of the material property. If it's in a dark corner have a lower value so it looks darker.

0.4 for all values works well for a nice lit area and leave it on 0 for dark places.

9QUY9fR.png

That's about it for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

• 3 months later...

FULL FRET INLAYS

This is a bit of a jank workaround I brute forced but the results are pretty good in practice and I've been using it for a while (see the Pareo inlay from playthrough vid for example). Finally got round to finishing up the full template instead of just the marked frets (3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,24) so have a guide/dl.

This allows you to have a full 24 fret covered inlay without the top/bottom of frets being cut off and also allows for a higher res than the toolkit does.

So here's the download inlay files/template. 

The .nif was made by model swapping in one of the guitarcade skyboxes and parenting the NiAlphaProperty node to make the fade in/out effect work. Also due to being way longer than the inlay you can add images off the side of the fretboard or behind/inside the headstock (might be cool if you disable it with rsmods)

The .dds is 16384 by 512 (4X base inlay res with standard usable space). The X res is so high because the model is far too long and I had to mask off the ends for standard inlays, but as above you can have stuff off the fretboard if you want.

op.dds and pp.dds are used to make the old inlay model invisible since deleting them from the nif just makes the game crash.

Here's a guide on how to use it

First off you need to make the inlay using the template. Once you're done save it as a dxt3 .dds with mipmaps off. Dxt3 allows proper transparency and turning off mipmaps saves file size.

Rename your inlay.dds to a unique filename with no spaces, if 2 inlays match .dds filename they will be blank in-game.

Make an icon using the old standard inlay template.

Now you build a dummy inlay using toolkit, pick the inlay name and icon properly though.

Unpack the inlay with the toolkit and replace the .nif in "assets\gameplay\inlay" with replace.nif. Make sure replace.nif has the same filename as the old .nif that was in there. Also remember to copy op.dds and pp.dds into the same folder.

Open the nif in nifskope and click on the big white rectangle and in the block list, click the arrow to expand the list, right click on "NiSourceTexture" and do texture, choose.
TXMkAw1.png

Choose whatever image you renamed your inlay.dds to before.
It should update in nifskope if done properly.

Now in block details right click on file name and click "edit string index"
D02HUT6.png

change the file name index from the full file path to just the file name. For example:

"e:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\rocksmith2014\dlc\inlays\okakoro_24_rs2014_pc\assets\gameplay\inlay\okakorro.dds"

to "okakorro.dds"

(You only need to do this above part if you want the inlay to work on other computers)

Now all you got to do is save the .nif and repack/replace the dummy inlay.

And that's it done, enjoy.

Ea3cCUQ.png                                                                   「愛こそすべて ,ギルティキス」                                         Gh59blB.png

Utsu-P Discography                                           Modding thread (dead)                                        1000 songs hype

There is a string.nif in dependency_guitarcommon.psarc.

Editing this single string alters all strings on guitar or bass.

I'm guessing the game says to create six strings for guitar and four strings for bass, and this is not something we can edit just by playing around with the models.  I did not see a model for the neck + strings.

Nifskope lets you enlarge things but not stretch.  I tried stretching the 7th string at the headstock to reach across the fretboard, but blender saves a file unreadable by the game (as everyone else noticed).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I understand this is an old topic but I was looking for anyone who was attempting 7 string support in Rocksmith, and this looked fairly promising even if just displaying a custom guitar headstock. I have a lot of experience in the Bethesda games modding space which uses the same engine, and file types for models and would very happily offer any assistance needed. I have 3ds Max 2013 and tools to convert to .nif file formats. I am also a professional 3D artist and would be able to create assets for custom guitar models. 

Sadly having a custom guitar model with extended range doesn't actually generate extended range notes on the screen, or allow EOF to chart them, do any of you have ideas in the works for getting around this? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coolest Guy said:

I understand this is an old topic but I was looking for anyone who was attempting 7 string support in Rocksmith, and this looked fairly promising even if just displaying a custom guitar headstock. I have a lot of experience in the Bethesda games modding space which uses the same engine, and file types for models and would very happily offer any assistance needed. I have 3ds Max 2013 and tools to convert to .nif file formats. I am also a professional 3D artist and would be able to create assets for custom guitar models. 

The bethesda nif format is fairly different to the rocksmith nif format, where the bethesda nif files are made out of NiTriShape or NiTriStrips nodes the rocksmith ones are made out of NiMesh nodes. Using a mesh made from either of those nodes causes nothing to show up in rocksmith.

Fallout76 has models made from NiMesh but also supports models made from NiTriShape so all the mods are using the wrong format to port over models and they don't seem to have proper tools to support that new format either.

Most of the tools I've tried for working with nif files only seem to support NiTriShape except for nifskope but in that case we can only modify/swap/combine the existing rocksmith models and not import whole new custom models.

Currently just waiting for this to ever get NiMesh support as I've mostly given up for now.
https://github.com/niftools/blender_niftools_addon
https://github.com/niftools/blender_niftools_addon/discussions/473

If you have any luck in the meantime though let me know and I'll have to re-install 3ds max lol.

Sadly having a custom guitar model with extended range doesn't actually generate extended range notes on the screen, or allow EOF to chart them, do any of you have ideas in the works for getting around this? 

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever get a proper 7/8 string mod for rocksmith especially with how the main rsmods dev left a while ago.

• 7 months later...