Starting to See subpar unworkable Customs released?

SirLoin

Question

could you give an example please? ive noticed that a lot of people are getting MUCH more proficient at charting, and the quality is getting better .. perhaps simply more people are starting to chart, and the quality of those are suffering.

*shrug* wont know without more data

• Like 2

I haven't run into bad ones for a while myself. Make sure if you find them you are leaving feedback letting the author know .. it's also not a horrible thing to send a POLITE PM letting them know if the custom is that broken.

• Like 1

\m/(><)\m/

'99 Fender Stratocaster / '12 Gibson SG (Nothing special but they are mine)

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

I can only speak from my own experience. I have seen a few bad ones but recently I have only gotten quality cdlc. I personally have started charting very recently and now that I'm workin on my third I am turning the quality meter WAY up. It is not easy. Hopefully charters will go back and fix issues. But ultimately, they are made for the creator then shared, so unfortunately there will be a few bad ones. I downloaded one the other day that blew me away as to how good it was, so there are plenty of good ones as well. A friendly PM advising the charter of found issues may go a long way.

• Like 1

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

I've uploaded a couple of customs knowing they have issues, but reasoning that they're at a point where they're playable enough to get feedback, or at least to allow others to have fun with them.

I find that I need to play the custom myself quite a number of times to work out all the kinks -- and it really helps me to be able to play the song perfectly before I can do that. Which takes a lot of time.

So on the one hand, yes, I could sit on the custom for a few more weeks until I've worked out all the kinks so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities with a 'subpar' release.

On the other hand, I've made a few customs that, for whatever reason, I have NOT added to the database. And those customs are gathering dust in my computer. I keep saying I'll get to them... but I'm more preoccupied with fixing the kinks in the songs that I have added to the database.

Maybe there should be a checkbox in the database form -- something like "Completed" - yes/no . At the point where the charter of the custom feels it's reached completion, he can check this. This might be helpful for leechers people who come here only to grab CDLCs without contributing feedback.

• Like 1

I've uploaded a couple of customs knowing they have issues, but reasoning that they're at a point where they're playable enough to get feedback, or at least to allow others to have fun with them.

I find that I need to play the custom myself quite a number of times to work out all the kinks -- and it really helps me to be able to play the song perfectly before I can do that. Which takes a lot of time.

So on the one hand, yes, I could sit on the custom for a few more weeks until I've worked out all the kinks so as not to offend anyone's sensibilities with a 'subpar' release.

On the other hand, I've made a few customs that, for whatever reason, I have NOT added to the database. And those customs are gathering dust in my computer. I keep saying I'll get to them... but I'm more preoccupied with fixing the kinks in the songs that I have added to the database.

Maybe there should be a checkbox in the database form -- something like "Completed" - yes/no . At the point where the charter of the custom feels it's reached completion, he can check this. This might be helpful for leechers people who come here only to grab CDLCs without contributing feedback.

This. I admit I am bad at this. But one of the points of why this system is set up the way it is, is for people to give honest feedback. And that doesn't mean "F*ck you don't ever chart again" it means "hey the tone is a bit off seems to be lacking a low end" or "I hear notes but there is no chart for them" (If I can remember the DLC I will make sure to comment). For instance one thing I know I haven't posted but that has been a problem for me is that I have never. Ever. Ever. Gotten any Van Halen chart to open. But I assume it's my computer and write it off. But yeah. I have had this experience in many things (guitar setups and mods included} where I'm like, this is perfect. And the person I'm working for is like "Um could you change this?" and as I've gained more experience I've learned to be like "yeah sure". But when I was first starting I took it as a personal insult. And I think some people (I know I have felt this way also) are worried that the charter is going to feel this way. That they will react "My tone is wrong? Go f*ck a blender." So I see both sides of this. Of course some people are just lazy or assholes so who knows.

• Administrator

One thing that i've seen recently got me ticking. Seeing a guy saying that my custom had problem on another topic, and never bother to post it on the CDLC topic or PM me, what's the point here?

I know i can be rude when i give feedback, but it's really for the benefit of the charter and other people playing it.

And as i say in my workshop, for most of the customs i think are finished, i will work on them IF i have constructive feedback and it happen, rarely but it does and i'm pretty sure that's true for a lot of custom. At one point i don't want to play one song again and again to spot one little tiny problem that no one will notice and waiting on user feedback help to get some other point of view that might be quite different when they aren't all the way into the creation process.

I don't think quality is a problem here, there's some things here and there but i dont even think that my own custom are perfect and i don't really care if there's some flaws in customs as long as they aren't too big of a problem.

• Like 3

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

FireKorn there are customs that I'll be blunt I don't know where to start with them. They are out of sync. They have tones that are just one distortion layered on another. You can barely hear their tracks. They have incorrect charting or missing charting. But saying this is all wrong isn't that constructive but if I complain about one thing after another after they fix each one will it be constructive or will it just piss them off. I usually just delete those charts and assume the charter is working on a better version and go back to check them out. FireKorn what sort of music are you not getting feed back on? I'll make a point of being a targeted feedback person if people want. I might be slow but yeah. I'll go for it.

• Administrator

If you take a look at this post and the following answer for exemple. I know it was harsh but god i would gladly play this song if it was actually playable and the new version is broken since at least the 10th april. Some charter might have taking it the wrong way and i'm sorry about this, i will gladly help any charter that ask for it but at first i prefer to say what i think and see how it goes from there.

But on the other hand i can be very nice when the custom is good.

The type of feedback that i have most of the time is when the CDLC doesn't start, so in the end i think that my customs doesn't have a lot of problem :-P

If you really want to give feedback take a look at the testers list in the Workshop section it could be a good place to start.

• Like 4

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I have found most of the songs that I have downloaded to be of great quality (thanks to those who made them).  There were a couple that I've had problems with.  The charters stated that they were new.  One, the obviously charted the part on a simulated bass guitar as the tuning was extreme to say the least.

I like to give constructive feedback to hope these new charters get better.  No, I've not submitted one yet as my OCD is not letting get past certain sections of the song I am doing.  My wife will eventully hit me upside the head to move on so she won't have to keep hearing the same riff over and over.......

• Like 2

I should have added another sentence. 90 percent of the Customs are fantastic. I love the hard work that is put into getting these to us. But I was just pointing out that some were rushed out without proper testing. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with that post. Ive tried to produce a quality custom and its a process in itself. Hats off to all that attempt this. Rock On CustomsForge community!!!

• Like 1

If you take a look at this post and the following answer for exemple. I know it was harsh but god i would gladly play this song if it was actually playable and the new version is broken since at least the 10th april. Some charter might have taking it the wrong way and i'm sorry about this, i will gladly help any charter that ask for it but at first i prefer to say what i think and see how it goes from there.But on the other hand i can be very nice when the custom is good. The type of feedback that i have most of the time is when the CDLC doesn't start, so in the end i think that my customs doesn't have a lot of problem :-P If you really want to give feedback take a look at the testers list in the Workshop section it could be a good place to start.

The VERY few I have made are tested, sometimes I get others to test them BEFORE I release them call me anal, but whatever. I felt horrible a few days back when I uploaded a new version of one and the went back and found it was a hanger. Song started but no GO on the music. As soon as I realized it, I went back to the original and then fixed the update. But at no point did anyone PM me saying,, hey man it's broken. Feedback is important.I ASKED Firekorn to review my second one and he pointed out several issues. As soon as I have more time I will try to fix the one I asked him to review. It MAY, hell, LIKELY will require an entire redo , but that's ok. I want to put quality out there.
  • Like 2

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

I should have added another sentence. 90 percent of the Customs are fantastic. I love the hard work that is put into getting these to us. But I was just pointing out that some were rushed out without proper testing. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone with that post. Ive tried to produce a quality custom and its a process in itself. Hats off to all that attempt this. Rock On CustomsForge community!!!

No worries. I don't think anyone was actually offended (or they shouldn't be). You make a valid point. But since this is all done on a volunteer basis - including downloading and playing the customs -- there's no real way to ensure that clunkers never happen.

Personally, I make sure my customs at least run in Rocksmith before posting them - but I'm usually too excited to get them out there to test them thoroughly first.

• Like 1

I started to make customs recently and all I can say is that the more you make the more you learn, and the more you learn the more quality you want to put in your songs, and the more time you take to make each song. When I began I would just find a good Guitar Pro tab, import and sync and then make just the obrigatory things to make it work, but with time I started to correct the tabs the better I could, make or at least select decent tones and use them throughout the song, add lyrics, etc. So after some time it was taking much more to make songs, and even doing simple songs take a lot of time and work. And I guess a lot of charters here have much other things to do, nobody here gets paid to do this, so I think that people can at least try to help saying what's wrong in the right places (like in the song topic...) and thanking for the good songs that are there, instead of just leaving negative useless comments on random places.

When Unleashed, Baker, and myself started talking about this site the first morning before the name was even selected, one of the things we discussed was how to help the users with this and avoid the major mistake that took down the other site.

The initial discussion seemed to be an easy one, we would just play every CDLC and make some type of mark for the ones that play perfect. Thanks to the out pour of time and CDLC content, that quickly became impossible. Basically we are down to the charters policing themselves. Which for the most part you guys do a fantastic job of.

• Like 4

\m/(><)\m/

'99 Fender Stratocaster / '12 Gibson SG (Nothing special but they are mine)

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

I think the problem is that some charters are are just importing the guitar pro tab files into the editor (most of which dont translate to rocksmith very well) and adding in a tone and calling it finished without thinking how it plays on the actual game. I have ran into a few songs where the lead arrangement is almost empty except for the solo and I have seen a few songs where solos are split between lead and rhythm and that is very annoying and confusing for me.

yes.. there are lots of bad cdlc's around

people are caring much more about quantity than quality

I think we should have a "completed" or "approved" status so we could filter cdlcs that are charted right, synced, good volumes and also custom or default tone (so it wouldn't bug the game) 

• Like 1

• Administrator

I'm clearly not sure there's that much bad cdlc.

Maybe some are caring about quantity but i can assure that's not every one.

First of you can look at the comment to make a first opinion about cdlc, when there's real problem, people talk about it!

Then give feedback yourself most of the author that receive feedback take in consideration them and most of the time correct them. Trying to have an approved section was in discution but to do it correctly and efficiently would be almost impossible. And there's a list about bugged cdlc on this forum that you could use to make sure you don't dl them.

Envoyé de mon ARCHOS 80G9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I'm clearly not sure there's that much bad cdlc.Maybe some are caring about quantity but i can assure that's not every one.First of you can look at the comment to make a first opinion about cdlc, when there's real problem, people talk about it!Then give feedback yourself most of the author that receive feedback take in consideration them and most of the time correct them. Trying to have an approved section was in discution but to do it correctly and efficiently would be almost impossible. And there's a list about bugged cdlc on this forum that you could use to make sure you don't dl them.Envoyé de mon ARCHOS 80G9 en utilisant Tapatalk

so.. every time that I want to try a new cdlc I need to check on a thread to see if its reported as "buggy"? but if is new, probably won't be on that list

I think reporting it as "completed" as I said would be much more efficient

• Administrator

So you want other people to take a look at every CDLC posted to make sure that when you will try it, it won't have any problem. Do you consider how much time this people will need to test every single CDLC released? It will be efficient for whom?

I mean, it's not impossible, just time consuming for a minimal impact.

And i say that the first thing is to look at the comment section, the list is an additional information.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography