5 strings bass and low note recognition

firekorn

• Administrator

Following the discusssion here about bass recognition problem below C1 note and possible creation of 5 strings bass part here is the tutorial to get the recognition to work and to actually make possible a 5 strings bass part in Rocksmith 2014!

I. Bass recognition workaround

First off, it's only necessary to do this when the bass part have note below the C1. Which means any B Standard or lower and C# drop B and lower tuning need to go through this operation.

Step 1 : EOF Tuning change

• Select the bass part (Song -> Track -> Part Real_Bass or Part Real_Bass_22)
  • Change the tuning (Track -> Pro Guitar -> Set Tuning) following the rule below

For each strings, the number will be equal to the number of half steps below E standard plus 12.

Exemple : for B standard each fret is 5 half steps below standard (-5 in EOF) so you will indicate in eof -5+12=7 for all the strings

Note that when you import a GP file EOF take the tuning from it, so you will just have to add 12 to the number indicated in EOF.

• Say NO when EOF ask you to transpose

Note that the strings name should keep the same in EOF, or it means that you didn't add 12

Step 2 : Toolkit tuning

• Add the bass arrangement
  • Don't change the tuning (it import the one from EOF)
  • Change the Tuning Pitch to 220 (the toolkit indicate an offset of -1200.00 and the note will A3 instead of A4
  • Do everything else as always

Step 3 : Enjoy!

II. 5 strings bass

Step 1 : EOF 5 strings bass part

Disclaimer :

Since EOF is kind of weird with the tuning part when using a 5 strings bass (it doesn't use a E standard tuning as a base which leads to some problem in the rest of the process as i've done it) i will actually use a guitar part in EOF to create the 5 strings bass part.

If both of your guitar part are already used, don't worry just "save as" your eof project in another folder so that you have two times the exact same project, one that will have the guitar part as a bass part and the other with the guitar part (i invite you to do this after you've insert everything that is crossed part in EOF like sections or syncing the beat map).

This tutorial won't take in consideration the use of an actual bass part since i haven't figured it out how to make this work as needed.

• Create your 5 strings bass part in EOF in a guitar part as you will usually do with any part

For the tuning, if you've imported it from a GP file you don't have anything to do.

If you've created the part in EOF, change the tuning in EOF just by getting the name of the strings right (doesn't care for the higher strings if you kept 6 strings in EOF)

The standard for 5 and 6 strings bass would give the following tuning in EOF :

wUNkK5s.png

Step 2 : Toolkit bass part

• Add a new arrangement
  • Select your xml file containing the 5 strings bass part
  • Type : Guitar
  • Name : Lead or Rythm, it will just change where it will be in rocksmith
  • Tuning : Should be the same as in EOF
  • Check the bonus arrangement if you don't want the bass part to be too easy to start with a guitar because a guitar won't be able to play it!
  • Change the tuning pitch to 220 instead of 440.
  • Do as usual for the tone.

Step 3 : Enjoy!

Warning :

• A guitar player won't be able to play it normally (maybe if you have a pedal that allow you to play as low as a bass)
  • Alert the player that this is available, Rocksmith absolutely doesn't alert you by himself!
  • Rocksmith used the lower tuning between the normal arrangement and the bonus one for sorting by tuning so if the bass use a lower tuning (based on the number set in EOF) than the guitar arrangement, RS will indicate the bass tuning!

I forgot to mention the men that made all of this possible by his findings : Ross

A big thanks to him!

• Like 15

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Okay I've managed to do a 5 string bass custom using this format.

found a 5 string gp3 file and inported it into eof as a guitar track (it did actually show in eof as 5 strings) produced the custom as normal and the the sound file.

open it in rs toolkit and pretty much generated it as normal with the exception of changing the tuning pitch as above.

one thing that confused me was the tuning box came up showing 6 strings tune beadge (i think) i just clicked on this and generated the file (as a normal track as there were no other tracks to play)

loaded it up as normal and started the song.

took me through tuning as per normal with the exception of the g string which needed fretted at around the 7th fret not 5th dont know why.

played the song (badly) but the notes were recognised and played, however the 5 string seems very quiet in the game may need to mess around with it a bit in the tone, try a lot of compression or something.

But it does work  :-P

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried this for a song in Bb standard.  It worked OK, except that the arrangement didn't seem to correctly import the tuning from EOF.  I *think* I set it up right in EOF, but anyway I just manually did the same sorts of stuff in the toolkit and it displays and tunes correctly.

However, when playing the song, I only roughly 75-80% detection rates -- it keeps thinking that I'm fretting too high when I'm not.  If I can fret a half step low and kinda do a very quick slide up, it usually decides that I hit the note correctly -- rather hit or miss otherwise.

I don't think that my intonation can be off that bad, I had the most trouble on the E string (tuned down to Eb), and it detects just fine if I use my bass in a E standard (or Eb) song and just don't use the B string.  Detection has been better in the few other songs I've tried that use this method to get a low B (or lower) in, but it seems very shaky in mine.  Maybe I did something wrong.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

• Administrator

Make sure that eof and toolkit tuning are exactly the same, it could mess up the recognition in RS.

Envoyé de mon ARCHOS 80G9 en utilisant Tapatalk

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Damn, I've been on here less than a week and besides the great CDCL I've gotten, and all the wonderful bass love, I just found out I might be able to use my 5 string bass.

I have a 4 and 5 string Ibanez basses. They look almost identical except the 4 has only 1 pickup (and the string difference). They're both black. I prefer the 5, since I don't have to re-tune for drop-D. Also songs in F are sometimes easier to play in 5 position using the low B.

You guys (and gals) rock!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

If @firekorn had a dollar for every time I go and look at the EOF screenshot above, he'd be at least a fivedollaraire.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here