Other Guitar Software

ricka47

Ableton live 9 for DAW, even though today its famous for dance hiphop and electro, it started out for rock, and still is the bomb! Especially now with multi monitor support. Coupled with the Session drums library, 90 gigs of drums recorded with zillions of mikes and velocities, it sounds so real. Quite easy to put together, and the result is so professional.

Amplitube as my main VST plugin for Ableton and Guitar rig for some occasional things.

Sibelius for notation and sheet music creation. Great for writing solo piano compositions or jazz arrangements for a whole band with or without a midi keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Guitar Rig yet. It's a great amp modelling software with it's own dedicated hardware controller (optional) that doubles as an ASIO sound card. I've been using it for years and even recorded stuff with the software. I think it sounds awesome and it's really easy to set up and use. Before Rocksmith I used this to play along to stuff. 

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-5-pro/

http://images-ec.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/producer/guitarrig5/images/4_L.png

This is the hardware controller:

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/sc/32886417-2-440-OVR-1.gif

Small stakes leave you with the minimal blues

I wonder if anyone knows of other good guitar software?  I just ran into something called RIffstation.  It will take just about any audio file and show you the chords in it.  It does a bunch of other stuff as well such as changing the speed and pitch, isolating solos and looping,  Anyway, I downloaded the demo (http://www.riffstation.com/) yesterday and ended up buying it the same day.  I recently took a very large CD collection and put in on my PC and these are now all available for me to play - pretty cool!

I have a question for all of you that have Riffstation. One of the feature of the tool is "Mute the Guitar and Play With Your Favorite Bands". 

So...is it possible to save mp3 with the guitar part mute??? This will be awesome to create cdlc with no guitar on backing track...;)

I have a question for all of you that have Riffstation. One of the feature of the tool is "Mute the Guitar and Play With Your Favorite Bands". 

So...is it possible to save mp3 with the guitar part mute??? This will be awesome to create cdlc with no guitar on backing track... ;)

Essentially, yes.  It saves as a .wav file, but you can use some other software to convert it into a .mp3.  Note though that what it does is takes whatever your settings are for the track muting at the time you click "save audio" and applies it to the whole song.  I wanted to save A Tear For Eddie with the guitar muted.  But in the original mp3, the clean guitar in the beginning is located in a right channel and the distorted guitar towards the end is in the center channel.  Classic rock, especially the Beatles, has its own set of problems though, as the mix tends to be very "flat" so there is no way to mute the guitar without muting the rest of the band and the vocals on many songs.  Most songs won't have problems like this though.  Just pointing out that ymmv on how good the muting is.

Has anyone tried Rock Prodigy..? Just wondering how it compares to Rocksmith..?

I have it.  Used it a couple of times and then just lost interest.  Even though I was a beginner when I started with Rocksmith 17 months ago, Rock Prodigy still felt pretty basic to me.  And basic can get boring fast.