Other Guitar Software

ricka47

I wonder if anyone knows of other good guitar software?  I just ran into something called RIffstation.  It will take just about any audio file and show you the chords in it.  It does a bunch of other stuff as well such as changing the speed and pitch, isolating solos and looping,  Anyway, I downloaded the demo (http://www.riffstation.com/) yesterday and ended up buying it the same day.  I recently took a very large CD collection and put in on my PC and these are now all available for me to play - pretty cool!

Rick Abshier

Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Fender Short Scale Jazz Bass

I saw this software start popping up in online ads recently, and looked into it. Seems pretty sweet. It's amazing what software can do now. It reminds me of some of the features of auto-tune software that will allow you to use analog input in music production software, and then go back and alter the notes in the analog files to correct wrong notes or alter the start and stop points if you play notes too soon or too late.

I saw that it will also allow you to isolate the guitar parts in a song, and even remove the guitar from the song so you can play along as the guitar. What I really like about the current state of the art software is that you can create and produce high-quality music even if you're not the greatest instrument player. As it is now, I can write stuff I can't play. That was the primary reason I got Rocksmith, so I could actually learn to play the stuff I can type into a piano roll, and not have it play back with a cheesy guitar synth..

My birthday's coming up soon... I may start dropping hints about Riffstation. After you've played around with it for a bit, how about a nice review? Pro's and con's, coolest features, etc. I know their marketing video was pretty good, but I'd like an independent review from someone who actually bought it and has used it.

You can download a fully-functional demo for 30 days.  So far, my biggest issue is that it only recognizes major, minor, and 7th chords (along with power chords).  They can add more but it decreases the detection.  They are working to add more features and increase the detection accuracy (now about 85%).  I played with it quite a bit yesterday and it was fun picking any song from my collection and being able to play along.  

The interface is very nice and it is very easy to use. I had it installed and was playing within minutes.  I'll add some more thoughts as I play with it some more.

Rick Abshier

Capo 3

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/Capo

Highly recommended for anyone with a mac if you want some help figuring solos out. 

Guitar pro 6

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Just massively useful with its Realistic Sound Engine that does a great job of synthesizing guitar sounds. Was that note/chord hammered on, pulled off, palm muted, an up or down stroke, a bend or a slide? What exactly is the strumming pattern? After some trial and error in GP6 I'll have it figured out in detail by comparing the original tune with what GP 6 is playing back to me. Obviously you can do the same with your own guitar instead, but I like to create customs too.

Amplitube

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=family-amplitube

Lets you set up amps and pedals and play guitar via a usb cable long before rocksmith came out. Though haven't used it in a long time now as Rocksmith contains pretty much the same functionality.

SpectralLayers Pro 2

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/spectralayerspro

Not a guitar specific product but an advanced audio editor. Not only does it render a spectrogram of the audio like Capo3, but it lets you edit the audio visually like this too, splitting it into layers etc. Don't own a copy of this, but used the trial to remove noise to try and isolate a tricky solo. If it was cheaper it definitely would like to play around with it some more in the future.

If you have a DAW and/or want to get into composing and using VST Instruments and all that stuff but don't want to get a MIDI keyboard you should check out this:

MIDI Guitar

http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

pretty fun to play an entire string section, piano or an old church organ on guitar. You can move the entire fretboard 2 octaves up and down and it supports E Standard and Drop D. It works almost like Rocksmith in simply detecting notes and converting them to MIDI signals. You even can do chords, bends and palm mutes. Chord detection has it limits just like in RS so no sloppy playing allowed.

I am using this in Sonar X3 and so far it works really good on just single notes. Chords sometimes need some editing but so far I really like it.

Anyone got experience with Melodyne essential? I could get it for cheap by upgrading Sonar...

Amplitube

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=family-amplitube

Lets you set up amps and pedals and play guitar via a usb cable long before rocksmith came out. Though haven't used it in a long time now as Rocksmith contains pretty much the same functionality.

If anyone is at all, even remotely, interested in Amplitube, NOW is the time to get it.  There is a "group buy" promotion going on right now (8 days left) that is not a typical sale.  Their last promotion like this was a few years ago.  Basically, the full version of Amplitube 3 and Amplitube Fender are reduced to $99 (from $199 and $149 respectively), and you get free additional collections depending on how many people participate in the Group Buy.  Right now you get 2 free collections (retail $99 each)...so you buy Amplitube 3 and get Fender and Orange collections for free.  It's a pretty safe bet that it will get up to 3 or 4 free collections before the 8 days are up.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/atgb/

I loved Amplitube before...love it even more now that I have the Fender and Orange collections.

I wonder if anyone knows of other good guitar software?  I just ran into something called RIffstation.  It will take just about any audio file and show you the chords in it.  It does a bunch of other stuff as well such as changing the speed and pitch, isolating solos and looping,  Anyway, I downloaded the demo (http://www.riffstation.com/) yesterday and ended up buying it the same day.  I recently took a very large CD collection and put in on my PC and these are now all available for me to play - pretty cool!

I'm a fan of RiffStation too.  I bought it the same day that I installed the demo as well.  I use it mostly for playing along with my acoustic on strum-heavy songs.  The chord-viewer is basically like a quick and dirty auto-tab generator that is perfectly synced with your mp3.  Or in other words, like GoPlayAlong without having to sync up the tab to the music.  I just wish the chord-viewer allowed me to manually edit in custom chords (add9's, slash chords, etc.).  It's fine that it doesn't auto-detect them, but it should let me type them in.  I also wish it had capo support, so that you could make all the chord names relative to the capo.

I actually originally bought it because I was impressed with the ability to isolate and mute the guitar track (works better on some songs than others), but now I think the chord-viewer is the killer feature.

If you have a DAW and/or want to get into composing and using VST Instruments and all that stuff but don't want to get a MIDI keyboard you should check out this:

MIDI Guitar

http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

pretty fun to play an entire string section, piano or an old church organ on guitar. You can move the entire fretboard 2 octaves up and down and it supports E Standard and Drop D. It works almost like Rocksmith in simply detecting notes and converting them to MIDI signals. You even can do chords, bends and palm mutes. Chord detection has it limits just like in RS so no sloppy playing allowed.

I am using this in Sonar X3 and so far it works really good on just single notes. Chords sometimes need some editing but so far I really like it.

Anyone got experience with Melodyne essential? I could get it for cheap by upgrading Sonar...

That looks freakin AWESOME.  Gonna re-install my guitar->USB device to try it out.  I wonder if it will work with the Rocksmith cable.... gonna try that too.

Warning: include(/home/customsf/public_html/cache/globalCaches.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/customsf/public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 3013

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/customsf/public_html/cache/globalCaches.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/customsf/public_html/ips_kernel/') in /home/customsf/public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 3013

I'm a fan of RiffStation too.  I bought it the same day that I installed the demo as well.  I use it mostly for playing along with my acoustic on strum-heavy songs.  The chord-viewer is basically like a quick and dirty auto-tab generator that is perfectly synced with your mp3.  Or in other words, like GoPlayAlong without having to sync up the tab to the music.  I just wish the chord-viewer allowed me to manually edit in custom chords (add9's, slash chords, etc.).  It's fine that it doesn't auto-detect them, but it should let me type them in.  I also wish it had capo support, so that you could make all the chord names relative to the capo.

I actually originally bought it because I was impressed with the ability to isolate and mute the guitar track (works better on some songs than others), but now I think the chord-viewer is the killer feature.

I haven't tried to edit chords yet. But, I was under the impression that it could be done.  Is this tutorial what you need:  http://youtu.be/aJQzydSpPgI#aid=P8hZxQ9fm5A

Rick Abshier

Warning: include(/home/customsf/public_html/cache/globalCaches.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/customsf/public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 3013

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/customsf/public_html/cache/globalCaches.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/customsf/public_html/ips_kernel/') in /home/customsf/public_html/admin/sources/base/ipsRegistry.php on line 3013

Not sure what all that means!

Rick Abshier

I've used Seventh Sytrings Transcribe! for years now to learn new songs. It's a fantastic little piece of software. Similar in many ways to the Riff Station software posted earlier. It can detect notes and chords, change tempo withpout changing pitch, or change pitch without changing tempo. It can also render new versions of the songs that include whatever tempo and/or pitch changes you've made, very handy when you play live with people who always play a half-step down, etc... For many years I used this software everyday as part of my practice schedule, and still use it at least a few times a week today.

http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Not sure what all that means!

Rick - where are you seeing this? I was wondering where this came from? If it's from this site, I wouldn't be surprised right now at anything you might see. This site has popped like corn in a microwave, probably beyond the host's ability to serve it!

I haven't tried to edit chords yet. But, I was under the impression that it could be done.  Is this tutorial what you need:  http://youtu.be/aJQzydSpPgI#aid=P8hZxQ9fm5A

Yes, you can definitely edit chords, but the chords you can change them to are limited to the same ones that the software can autodetect (major, minor, 7th, etc.).  You can't manually type in something like a slash chord.

Rick - where are you seeing this? I was wondering where this came from? If it's from this site, I wouldn't be surprised right now at anything you might see. This site has popped like corn in a microwave, probably beyond the host's ability to serve it!

It just attached itself to my post.  I don't know where it came from.

Rick Abshier

Yes, you can definitely edit chords, but the chords you can change them to are limited to the same ones that the software can autodetect (major, minor, 7th, etc.).  You can't manually type in something like a slash chord.

I see now - thanks!

Rick Abshier

I personally use Amplitube 3 and Guitar Rig 5, they're pretty good and work very good with the RS cable. For tabs I use Guitar Pro 6, which I will assume most people use too one way or another.

Guitars owned:

Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR (EMG 85-81) | Ibanez GRG20Z | B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast (EMG 85-81) | Jackson Pro King V KVT (Duncan SH-6).

Playing since:

November 11, 2013.

Favorite Genre:

Heavy Metal \m/ (specifically Death Metal, Power Metal, etc. and the heavier stuff) 

Here's some of what I've been using:

Songsterr for tabs on the Mac and iPad.  

Garageband on the Mac (the last Mac update made it a really useable application with great features and results: bit of a Logic Pro-Lite) & iPad/iPhone, and there is free controller for the Mac version on the iPad called Logic Remote

Amplitude (there are a number of add ons [Hendrix/Slash/Marshall] and a good recorder) for iPad/iphone 

Ampkit for iPad

Jamup (and Bias amp modeller) are probably the best sounding amp/effects simulator on the iPad/iphone

Fasttune HT6 is a good polyphonic tuner on the iPhone/iPad

I tried Riffstation and few similar products but didn't have great results... but that might just be me  :smile:

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster; Epiphone Nighthawk Custom; Westone Concord 1: Italia Mondial Classic;

Epiphone J Mascis Jazzmaster; Chapman ML2 Classic Gold-top

there is also a small software call Go Play Along (http://www.goplayalong.com/)It allows to play a tablature from guitar pro with the MP3 in background, with some tools to help to synchronize the mp3 to the tab. You can also decrease the music speed, ...

Another nice benefit of Go Play Along is that you can use the saved synchronized tab and MP3 as input to EOF to start a new custom.