How does compare pc speakers like Logitech Z906 with Near field Studio Monitors

Overpopulation

Should i take them like apples to apples, or like apples to oranges.

I understand the first have a coloured sound, while the studio monitors have a plain sound that reflects the actual studio appearance of the music you hear. The same ive read many times that on average studio monitors are considered by most an unpleasant way to hear music, and as in Rocksmith you get everything mixed thats what you are doing.

Let leave aside for a momment the different purpose of each one.

My question is, should i compare the 500 watt rms of the Logitech Z906 with the 100watt to 300watt you would get out of near field studio monitors you can get without stretching your money too far away from the 250 bucks it takes to get the Logitech Z906.

Because i have a Line 6 112 of 75watt 12" amp and it could crush to bits the logitech speakers.

Should i give special significance to the diameter of the speakers above watt considerations.

What about the SOUND QUALITY, does the engineering of an studio monitor provide better sound quality per watt than a good set of pc speakers, or even than HIFI speakers like those speakers towers used to hear music or for expensive home cinemas sets.

In short. If you get let say a pair of Yamaha HS-5 and a set of Logitech Z906 and you try Rocksmith 2014 remastered with your guitar. Which one will i probably want to keep, and which one will i return to the shop. (Ive heard these week the Pioneer DM-40 and did not like them too much)

Links to the logitechs and to monitors not far away from their price range when you buy a pair:

https://www.logitech.com/es-es/product/speaker-system-z906

61hxQM346-L._SL1200_.jpg

Yamaha HS-5

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/hs_series/specs.html#product-tabs

51tqWF5jAsL._SX425_.jpg

Other studio monitors in the range:

JBL 305P MKII

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii/305p-mkii#.XI5BkChKjb0

KRK RP5 RoKit G3

http://www.krksys.com/Studio-Monitors/ROKIT-5-G3

Behringer Nekkst K8

http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Loudspeaker-Systems/Studio-Monitoring/K8/p/P0AZU

M-Audio BX8 D3

https://m-audio.com/bx8d3

Why do you care about the watt? I have a pair of M-audio AV42, they are only 20watt but i cant stay in the house with them at full volume.  Only time i play them at full is when we are sitting outside and are to lazy to get some speakers with us.

• Administrator

Watt means nothing if you don't know the driver efficiency (how much watt is actually making sound and not just heat).

As a general rule, monitor are way more likely to be properly designed to offer the best sound possible. It's not about color, it's about proper design. All studies done so far indicate everyone tends to prefer linear response (flat) to anything else when doing proper double blind test.

There's no real difference of purpose, one is for listening, the other is for listening. Just that one is sold to random consummer that have no clue and the other try to aim at more informed user.

At the moment the best monitor at reasonnable pricing are either the JBL 305 or the Line Pine from Kali Audio. Mostly because they are the only with viable third party test and spec.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Why do you care about the watt? I have a pair of M-audio AV42, they are only 20watt but i cant stay in the house with them at full volume.  Only time i play them at full is when we are sitting outside and are to lazy to get some speakers with us.

Well it is higher watts what studio monitors use to build pricier models, and also the lower the watts the more distorting you get at a given volume, and Rocksmith and your guitars asks for high volume.

My doubt is if put side to side and tested i would like more the experience of using those kind of studio monitors than a logitech z906 set of pc speakers.

Im open to suggestions but confused and biased towards logitech as a safe bet because actually ive owned them for like 5 years before the amd in the subwoofer blew. And after repairing failed im considering getting either a new set of them or something that i know is more profesionally appreciated. But i dont have a way to hear those, except for those Pioneer DM-40 i did not like much, and Mackie CR3.5 which i did not like at all. (They sell but do not have to show any of the studio monitors i mentioned above in my reference shop)

Watt means nothing if you don't know the driver efficiency (how much watt is actually making sound and not just heat).

As a general rule, monitor are way more likely to be properly designed to offer the best sound possible. It's not about color, it's about proper design. All studies done so far indicate everyone tends to prefer linear response (flat) to anything else when doing proper double blind test.

There's no real difference of purpose, one is for listening, the other is for listening. Just that one is sold to random consummer that have no clue and the other try to aim at more informed user.

At the moment the best monitor at reasonnable pricing are either the JBL 305 or the Line Pine from Kali Audio. Mostly because they are the only with viable third party test and spec.

Hmm. Let say i get the JBL 305P MKII will i find i will need also a separate subwoofer. Also can active studio monitors be hooked directly to a pc 

or do they need some receiver  or an audio interface in the middle.

Also im not a desk user, i have them in the dining room and i could not place them in a proper way as i read they must be near you in a triangled position facing you.

Another question i have is if those can compete with the amount of sound i get from a guitar amp like the Line 6 112. Because i was considering also an ab switch but i find cumbersome to throw efforts in configuring tones and multieffects racks (although ive found myself that with 4 tones blues, clean, crunch, and "insane" as labeled by line 6, the guitar can sound fine toghether with any kind of song of the sort i do play like Black Keys, Akira Yamaoka, Placebo, Marilin Manson). Ive read about people that felt in the end they wasted too much time with that attitude of pursuing every tone in some multieffect pedal or rack, that they could have used to play more, when you CAN JUST TAKE all the bucks you would have used for that extra equipment and just get the best, more powerful speakers you can get so you dont miss the amp at all when playing rocksmith 2014 remastered.

And a side note going back to the apples to apples question is frequency response as per specs looks even better for the pc speakers (as long as you can trust the specs of course, which is the reason i ask to you guys):

Logitech z906:

Frequency Response 35 Hz - 20 kHz

JBL 305P MKII:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (±3dB) 49Hz – 20kHz

FREQUENCY RANGE (-10dB) 43Hz – 24kHz
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION (-10dB) 43Hz

Does those specs means the pc speakers would offer better bass and low frequency sound output.

• Administrator

Okay let's unpack a lot of myth in there.

Watts isn't actual sound power and don't actually allow you to understand the amount of distortion the power amp adds. You can't draw anything from the watt value except what it will actually show in your electrical bill. Any other info you think you can get out of the watt power are too dependant on so many other part of the design that it's useless to compare.

Logitech are known for good PC hardware, not for good audio hardware at all. In fact all i've seen regarding Logitech audio design is that they know shit about it. Also spoiler but a subwoofer is largely counter productive depending on your room and if you don't know how to place it in it.

Active monitor means that they have the power amplification inside them so you don't actually need any third party hardware for them to work. The thing is that third party hardware can be practical to have proper plug and it also means more cable since each monitor needs the audio input and the power plug.

"Near Field" isn't as near as people think you can easily be a few meters away without issue. Yes, the triangle is the suggested setup for stereo monitor, that's how it is if you want a proper stereo (or you could ignore it and put the two monitor side by side and have it more mono style if you so desire).

Regarding splitting to an amp, it depends on deep you want to go into sound reproduction. If you don't mind having only 5 or 6 different tones that will fit most situation, it's not that much work. If you want to be as precise as RS with all the nuances in between song, well you are going to spend a whole lot of time for it then.

That side note is the best reason why i wouldn't trust logitech, that data means jack shit since it lack any proper information regarding how it was selected.

You can see on JBL spec that it indicate a +/- 3 dB margin. Which means that at 49Hz, you've lost 3 dB compare to the nominal output level (half power if you prefer). On the Logitech spec, that indication is lacking so they could have just chosen a -6dB or even a -30dB margin for that number. Also the JBL are just standard monitor while the logitech set comes with a subwoofer and that kind of reach in the low end is ridiculous for a sub.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

I wouldn't waste money on really good computer speakers... Buy an ABY pedal from Morley or Radial, split the signal and spend your money on a nice guitar amp... That way you have something to play on when you get good away from Rocksmith :)

• Like 1

Well my mind is already set in getting studio monitors. Thank you very much for your explanations, now i see it clearly. Just the last stament on its own makes my assumptions look ridiculous:

JBL LSR 310 S:

Low Frequency Extension 27 Hz

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr310s#.XI5tKShKjb0

Ill probably go for a pair of studio monitors in the near future. I was considering the Yamaha HS-5 to Yamaha HS-7 at max, or now also JBL 305P MKII to JBL 306P MKII. Both white to blend with wall as much as they can mounted on floor stands. At the beggining i also read about a pair of cheaper jbl coaxial small monitors where one was slave. And reading more about coaxial drivers and considering flexibility in placing was desireable i found this one:

Fluid Audio FX8

https://www.fluidaudio.com/fx8.html

35Hz - 22KHz (+/- 3db)

10081400_800.jpg

Do you guys have a personal opinion for those considering that we are talking bout Rocksmith and playing an electric guitar. I dont want to end with something highly valued by users whose experience is based in electronic music or something like that so vastly different.

And there goes the stupid question. What about pa portable systems. I see some brands where u can get a 2.1 system near the price range im looking for. I suppose these PA have their sound coloured, arent they:

Syrincs M3-220 DT

http://www.syrincs-audiotechnik.de/

Frequency Response -10 dB: 39 Hz - 24 kHz
Frequency Response -3 dB: 45 Hz - 19 kH
7669943_800.jpg

I wouldn't waste money on really good computer speakers... Buy an ABY pedal from Morley or Radial, split the signal and spend your money on a nice guitar amp... That way you have something to play on when you get good away from Rocksmith  :)

In fact i consider my Line 6 112 75w amp above what i need. Too big or heavy. Of course until i start it on, when i like it a lot and forget about how heavy it turns to be when moving. And as my pc speakers blew im using monitor speaker which could only possible compete with the sound quality of the speaker of a mobile phone lol (uuuuuuuuuuuugh XD)

• Administrator

Do you guys have a personal opinion for those considering that we are talking bout Rocksmith and playing an electric guitar. I dont want to end with something highly valued by users whose experience is based in electronic music or something like that so vastly different.

Sound is sound, there's no good monitor for one specific thing, either they are techincally accurately or they aren't. It's like video monitor, if a video monitor have more red than it should, it'll never be considered good. Why would you consider it's good when it comes to something that is suppose to reproduce sound?

Regarding the two monitor you shared, unless you can find actual test regarding their frequency response in axis and off axis, you might as well buy them totally blindly. Knowing how far they can reach within a 3dB margin doesn't mean that they don't have any kind of major dip somewhere in their frequency range or even bump (like color filter for a TV screen if you want). It's information that are severely lacking when it comes to studio monitor and the only two i know that have reliable and good result are the JBL 305/308 or the Line Pine from Kali Audio. Otherwise the next range of reliable monitor brand are the genelec or neumann but they tend to be way more expensive.

Also the coaxial system is not something that solve the positioning, it's something that solve the technical challenge that is to create a coherent waveform in a given direction when both driver (tweeter and woofer) are not in the same axis but it doesn't magically make the whole thing better. The engineering behind coaxial system still requires work to get it right, something that can't be proven if there's no proper test done for those monitor.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 4 weeks later...

Sound is sound, there's no good monitor for one specific thing, either they are techincally accurately or they aren't. It's like video monitor, if a video monitor have more red than it should, it'll never be considered good. Why would you consider it's good when it comes to something that is suppose to reproduce sound?

Regarding the two monitor you shared, unless you can find actual test regarding their frequency response in axis and off axis, you might as well buy them totally blindly. Knowing how far they can reach within a 3dB margin doesn't mean that they don't have any kind of major dip somewhere in their frequency range or even bump (like color filter for a TV screen if you want). It's information that are severely lacking when it comes to studio monitor and the only two i know that have reliable and good result are the JBL 305/308 or the Line Pine from Kali Audio. Otherwise the next range of reliable monitor brand are the genelec or neumann but they tend to be way more expensive.

Also the coaxial system is not something that solve the positioning, it's something that solve the technical challenge that is to create a coherent waveform in a given direction when both driver (tweeter and woofer) are not in the same axis but it doesn't magically make the whole thing better. The engineering behind coaxial system still requires work to get it right, something that can't be proven if there's no proper test done for those monitor.

Hey Korn, got a question. Im still reading and learning. Im becoming more proficient about this topic. However i see that because how my room it is (not treated and asimetric) and the humidity and temperatures radical changes here, studio monitors should not be my first option at all. So ive leaned towards a more livealike option like the pa, which i did read about in the past, and ended on Full Range Speakers. Precisely i find this one interesting:

Mackie Thump 15BST:

https://mackie.com/products/thump-series

Active Speaker
  • Equipped with: 15" High performance woofer, 1.4" titanium compression driver
  • 1300 W Class D power (LF: 1000 W, HF: 300 W)
  • Amplifier with Dynamic Bass Response for fast transient playback and powerful bass
  • Integrated 3-channel mixing console with 2 Vita Preamps and Wide-Z technology
  • High-resolution colour display for level, metering, channel EQ and more
  • Stereo Bluetooth input
  • Powerful DSP
  • 6 Application-specific speaker modes
  • 3-Band EQ per channel and variable high-pass filters on channels 1/2
  • Controllable via free Thump Connect Control App for iOS and Android
  • Digital precision crossover
  • Automatic run-time and phase correction of the loudspeakers
  • Maximum level: 127 dB
  • Dispersion angle: 90° x 60°
  • Frequency response: 32 - 23,000 Hz
  • XLR Thru output
  • Integrated high stand flanges
  • Robust housing
  • Angled on two sides for use as a stage monitor
  • With flight points for permanent installations
  • 4 Handles
  • Universal power supply (100-240 V AC) with power conditioner for reliable performance on an unstable power supply
  • Dimensions: 686 x 442 x 356 mm
  • Weight: 15.9 kg

My reasoning is that i need something designed to spread sound in a room, in expense of some fidelity, that will let me move without ruining the experience. Also i prefer the live sound kind of speaker, than a technnical one (let alone how compromised that gets in the lowest price range of monitors). The kind of sound of a band at rehearsal.

I like also that it gets all the way from 32hz up to 23hz so it should have a good bass response without a dedicated sub.

All in all i see it like a full range guitar amp that can run the whole music coming from Rocksmith.

What do you think, am i screwing it up. I dont find a single review with someone playing a guitar, just a guy with a microphone as one would use to sing the national anthem before a match or something like that  :mellow:

• Administrator

The biggest concern with such system is that it's huge and requires a decent amount of space to place in a room which is why it's not something you commonly see in a house but if you are confident you have space for it, i don't see any glaring issue with such a system.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

i enjoy some of the Creative T40's as far as a PC 2.0 Speaker setup goes ...
they are very balanced and still go fairly low Hz as a full range speaker...
(Frequency Response 50Hz ~ 20kHz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cF6QyciCmQ

if you plan to use a subwoofer for more 20-50 hz then read...
https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/tips-for-setting-the-proper-crossover-frequency-for-a-subwoofer

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IL2zOTjhzm3gQCZ3_GR26ocW3ziEhg-2?usp=sharing__
Backup CDLC link ^^ - should list even the ones that got removed for inactive links...
just restored my ability to login again, so will try to slowly resubmit the missing ones...
and hoping to make a small come-back with some new CDLC ideas...

YAMAHA 4-String 24 Frets - D Standard -> C Standard & D Drop C...

ASHTON - 4-String 21 Frets, E Standard, Drop D, Half-Step Down (Nirvana)...

Phoenix? - BASS 21-22 Frets? - 4-in-line Headstock...
(3 BASSES + 2 ELECTRIC G + 2 ACOUSTICS + a UKE)

Les Paul Special II - Guitar 

IBANEZ - USED MODIFIED MODEL...
After-market Tremolo Bridge + head-stock locking nut thingys --- Free 1994-ish Guitar =   🙂