Anyone else here use their amp to play Rocksmith?

Atrimn

Question

If you have an amp and you aren't using it to play Rocksmith, I really recommend you do! I think it makes a huge difference... especially if you're playing bass and want more of it. For the last 4 months I've been using my amp to play and I would never go back to playing RS without it :D.

The setup I have is simple as all I use is a Y cable, which apparently has gone up in price since I bought it a few months ago for $1.99. You connect your amp in one side and the Real tone cable on the other and then plug it to your guitar or bass. If you have the cash there's other options like Morley ABY Selector... Just giving an example since I haven't use that one myself.

If you get ground loop here's some info to counter that: http://www.reddit.com/r/rocksmith/comments/20iqw8/having_trouble_using_guitar_amp_as_speaker_for/cg3msod

• Like 4

Wait so you actually prefer your amp speaker than headphone?

Buy new headphone cause amp speaker are really not made to fully transcribe low to high frequency correctly. You are just butchering the song to make sure that your guitar stand out in what you are hearing.

Yeah, I run Rocksmith through my PA.  Sounds just like a real band with it, me on bass with amp and my wife on guitar with amp kicking it multiplayer at near club volume. 

• Like 3

I found the Y cable to not work so well - feedback between PC, Guitar and amp that was too much. I ended up getting a Boss LS1 used on ebay for $20 something and it's a far better solution if you want to play this way.

The other thing I do sometimes is just use the amp and don't bother with realtone cable - set the song to riff repeat and who cares if you score a 0, the notes come if you set it so dynamic difficulty doesn't auto-change.

• Like 1

well, i got a little crush on this amp:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/transtube_bandit_112/

this would be my first real amp, and i was wondering if i can use that with the pc and rocksmith...

you're telling me i could with these solution?

or better search something similar with a plug dedicated?

I found the Y cable to not work so well - feedback between PC, Guitar and amp that was too much. I ended up getting a Boss LS1 used on ebay for $20 something and it's a far better solution if you want to play this way.

The other thing I do sometimes is just use the amp and don't bother with realtone cable - set the song to riff repeat and who cares if you score a 0, the notes come if you set it so dynamic difficulty doesn't auto-change.

Do you mean a Boss LS-2?

Ive thought about disconnecting the real tone all together and just playing with my amp but you can't get past the tuning part of the song :) 

theres something refreshing about seeing that you hit a note tho :P even tho Rocksmith fucking sucks ass at any chords when theres a lot of them stacked... you can pretty much just hit random strings wildly and it'll accept it.

A big issue i'm having with some of these songs is the tone is just absolute garbage to the point where i cant even play the song... especially one of the nirvana songs and quite a bit of CDLC choices for tones. Wonder if my pickups are just too beefy ;P

• Like 1

Kedhrin Gonzalez

Creative Director - IllFonic

www.illfonic.com

Oh my yes. I thought I was doing pretty well till I heard myself through my Costco Fender practice amp. I play with my amp and RS volume about even and my technique has vastly improved. I didn't realize how much RS was able to hide! I bought a Boss DD-7 pedal to play with and also use it to send signal to the RS cable and to my amp at the same time. Sounds great! I would highly recommend anyone use an amp so you can hear how you really sound.

• Like 2

I'm currently playing the game through my PC speakers and have all the controls on my guitar and bass dimed to help with note recognition (this was specified in either the in-game setup wizard or on the Ubisoft forums, I don't remember which). If I start using an external amp I'd like to use the controls on my guitars to dial in certain tones rather than leaving them on ten and having to constantly fiddle with the amp. Has anyone had problems with note recognition once they started using an external amp and/or by having their control knobs set to less than ten?

Thanks,

sleepy

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Before just slapping a "Y" splitter cable in line with your output I would check this thread: You may get a bit more noise that you would like.

I have set up my bass to play through my amp in parallel with RockSmith.  I got a hearty "what do you think you are doing!" from my wife.  I usually play while she is watching TV.  Normally in the same room.  I almost picked up a semihollow body guitar, but realized I would never get to play it as it would be "too loud" when not plugged in.

• Like 2

I had been trying to set up my bass to do this thru a Y cable, but each of the three different cables I used didnt seem to work.  However, I picked up a Boss ME20B multi effects pedal, which has two seperate outputs on it, and that seems to work just fine.

I've found that I like playing with the audio turned up in game, which normally masks the Bass sound from my playing too much (and I think its therefore giving me a better impression of my ability than is actually realistic!).  Hopefully getting the raw sound thru the amp as well will help "finesse" my skills a bit!

Do you mean a Boss LS-2?

Ive thought about disconnecting the real tone all together and just playing with my amp but you can't get past the tuning part of the song :)

theres something refreshing about seeing that you hit a note tho :P even tho Rocksmith fucking sucks ass at any chords when theres a lot of them stacked... you can pretty much just hit random strings wildly and it'll accept it.

A big issue i'm having with some of these songs is the tone is just absolute garbage to the point where i cant even play the song... especially one of the nirvana songs and quite a bit of CDLC choices for tones. Wonder if my pickups are just too beefy ;P

I bought an Boss LS-2 trying to send outputs to the game and the amp but was having an intense amount of noise coming through both the game and the amp. So much that it was absolutely unplayable.

i contacted boss to help me see if it was something wrong with mysetup or something else was going on...

this was their response:

It sound like what you really need is a good ABY pedal. These allow you to split the signal from one guitar to two outs, either by switching from one to the other, or in Y mode, both at the same time. Unfortunately, the LS-2 does not have this kind of function; it cannot provide outputs to two amps from one input.

Has anyone tried an ABY pedal with Rocksmith?

Kedhrin Gonzalez

www.illfonic.com

I have mine setup using  2 Y-splitters (one for the bass amp and one for guitar amp) and am not having any feedback issues.  Make sure you turn off the Guitar/Bass sound in game.  Also just hooked up an 800W LTO powered PA for the in game audio track.  Super loud and awesome!

My amps have effects loops for pedals, could see putting pedals inline before the splitter causing issues.  Not sure what splitters everyone else is using but mine are 1xfemale and 2xmale.  I input the guitars into the female and use a Female to Female barrel connector facing the RS cable.

@@kedhrin - So input is the guitar,  "Send A" to the Amp, "Send B" to the Realtone cable. Set the dial to the second from the bottom selection which is A+B Mix Bypass. Then activate the pedal and both the green and red lights will be on. I leave the two other volume knobs at mid-point... Works like a champ and no feedback what so ever for me.

And to early post, you were correct it's an LS-2 I have.

• Like 2

@@kedhrin - So input is the guitar,  "Send A" to the Amp, "Send B" to the Realtone cable. Set the dial to the second from the bottom selection which is A+B Mix Bypass. Then activate the pedal and both the green and red lights will be on. I leave the two other volume knobs at mid-point... Works like a champ and no feedback what so ever for me.

And to early post, you were correct it's an LS-2 I have.

Really weird it worked for you! i set it up exactly the same and had nothing but problems. what Amp were you using? I tried it on my Peavy 6505 combo and my Schecter Hellraiser Combo with the same result on both.... 

anyways, i returned that LS-2 and went and got that ABY box - works perfect.  This one i got was only $50 at Guitar Center.  Theres still a bit of noise, but as soon as you have backing music playing through rock smith you can't hear it anymore. I haven't tried just a .25" Y Splitter... only because everyone screamed bloody murder about the potential nose :P

Posted Image

• Like 1

Kedhrin Gonzalez

www.illfonic.com

Is it possible you had one of the outputs going out "Output"?  that's how I had it setup at first and I couldn't get it to work, it has to be Send A & B.  the Y cable was a disaster because it it allows 3-way signal flow and noise from the PC goes back to the Guitar and amp.. Mine had a horrible constant background hiss.

I have a Fender SuperSonic22 - it's generally a noisy amp to begin with so that may be part of my personal issue with the Y cable not working, but even with the amp unplugged or powered off it was still noisy... those Y cables are made like sheit with no shielding and garbage quality so I'd imagine you could try 10 and get different results with each one. I also have a VHT Special 6 for the quite times.

Do you use any pedals or try and clone-the-tone?  I mostly do clean channel on this setup because I'm doing this to ensure my play is clean, and not so much for the actual sound... clean makes it so much easier to find the flubs.

I found out that it's the power in my building.

the same intense noise started again last night when i had my schecter hellraiser and the rocksmith cable plugged into the ABY box.  then i unplugged the power from my laptop and the noise completely stopped.  

verified its the same if 2 amps and not the laptop is plugged in...

some other issue entirely :/ have no idea how to fix it.  Going to have to do some intense research.

I generally try to play on clean too, but sometimes i like to lie to myself ;)

Kedhrin Gonzalez

www.illfonic.com

Swamp Premium Guitar Lead Passive Splitter / Combiner from ebay worked for guitar perfect...( y-splitter)

No noises i can hear... about 13 € + shipping.

My amp is poor man's, poor watted Roland Microcube...  better sounds are up to me... don't need better amp, but skill...

the same intense noise started again last night when i had my schecter hellraiser and the rocksmith cable plugged into the ABY box.  then i unplugged the power from my laptop and the noise completely stopped.  

You need an ABY switch with a ground lift.  I use one of these and it totally removed the ground hum:

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

I'm sure there's plenty of options but this is what I personally use.

You need an ABY switch with a ground lift.  I use one of these and it totally removed the ground hum:

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

I'm sure there's plenty of options but this is what I personally use.

Thanks man, I called Guitar Center and i think they can hook me up. I'll go return the one i got and hopefully this fixes it! I didn't even know this shit existed, hah!

Kedhrin Gonzalez

www.illfonic.com

I don't see the need for a Y-cable at all. When I was doing that I would just put the (normal) cable on my amp and then put the Rocksmith cable on the line out of my amp. I don't know if every amp has this thing but to me it worked just fine (before I had a problem with my cable, i have to buy a new one but I'm too lazy lol).

I don't see the need for a Y-cable at all. When I was doing that I would just put the (normal) cable on my amp and then put the Rocksmith cable on the line out of my amp. I don't know if every amp has this thing but to me it worked just fine (before I had a problem with my cable, i have to buy a new one but I'm too lazy lol).

Guiagge,

That is the simple way to do it.  Many amps don't have a clean signal level output to tap into.  Also you would have to play into your amplifier unmodified.  When I connect my amp I use a direct box with gound lift and run into my ancient Digitec RP1 to go to my amplifier.  The purpose of the direct box is to split the signal and not have to worry about a grounding loop and that horrid 60hz hum.

Andrake