Can you name the song that piqued your interest in guitar?

devindog23

For me it wasn't a song, but a game - Guitar Hero. I was more into hip-hop back then, but really enjoyed that game. After a while I started liking rock, then it became my favorite type of music. Then I became quite good at Guitar Hero, so I thought to myself "I might as well try and learn to play the real thing". This was about 6 years ago. Rocksmith is one of the best things to happen to me, it really took my guitar playing to a whole new level, cause it forced me to to do stuff I was avoiding before, like play really fast and play open chords. I can do things now I didn't think were possible for me, like improvising to songs I hear on the TV, and it's all thanks to RS.

I've always been interested in rock music and had the 70s and 80s stuff in my head most of my life. I think the ONE moment was when I was at my uncles and he put on his Rainbow DVD. I was literally breath-taken, I couldn't believe what was I seeing and hearing, the amount of emotional expression in an instrument blew me away. I didn't pick up a guitar at that point but took to Guitar Hero and Rock Band extremely quickly. When I eventually had money I made the jump in January and would never look back.

This is particularly the song which is a huge influence of mine. 

• Like 1
Gear:

Chapman ML-1, Blackstar HT1

My systems: 

Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 2666MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1333MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | Arch Linux

• 2 weeks later...

This song in particular. I started playing around late November last year, not sure if I can play the solo yet, probably I'll be able to soon since I can get to that speed playing other stuff. Just gotta keep practicing.

Guitars owned:

Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR (EMG 85-81) | Ibanez GRG20Z | B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast (EMG 85-81) | Jackson Pro King V KVT (Duncan SH-6).

Playing since:

November 11, 2013.

Favorite Genre:

Heavy Metal \m/ (specifically Death Metal, Power Metal, etc. and the heavier stuff) 

A friend of mine bought an electric guitar when we were about 16 or so.  He was having fun with it, so I went the cheap route and borrowed a battered old acoustic guitar from my aunt, a music teacher.  Many people in my family have music talent, a lot of singers and various instrument players also -- but I had never really had much interest.

Anyway, I took that acoustic over to my friend's house.  Pretty sure "Smoke on the Water" was the first riff he taught me, and the first time I had that "whoa, this is so cool" moment.  Some months later, I got my own electric (Epiphone Korina Explorer) as a birthday present.  That is still my only electric guitar.

I never got very good, but I had fun.  Never took lessons, just taught myself and compared notes with friends.  "Enter Sandman" was the first song I learned relatively completely, from a tab book.  But, in college I probably only played a few times per year; just as a minor hobby.  BUT, I remained interested enough that I bought my first bass (Ibanez GSR200) sometime in there.  Immediately clicked more with bass than I ever had with guitar.

I don't remember exactly what the first song I tried on bass was, or what song made me think that bass would be a fun thing to try.  Possibly "Orion" by Metallica -- mastering that song remains a long-term stretch goal for me.  But, I can definitely remember that the first song that I really got into on bass was "Like a Stone" by Audioslave.  I think that was the first song for either instrument that I felt I could actually play along with solidly all the way through the song, and therefore convinced me that I was actually a bass dude instead of a guitar player.

• Like 1

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

I started off playing the bass, mainly due to me going round a mate's house after school and playing various Police songs on his setup. Got my own bass and amp about a year later and then got myself an acoustic guitar about 6 months after that. An early guitar solo that always used to float my boat was the one in Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 but I haven't thought about playing the lead guitar until I started to get into Rocksmith, I was always interested in rhythm guitar before that because I didn't have the confidence.

it was on june 4, 1978 one of my best friends had just gotten a van halen album .. that first A5 chord on eruption made my hair stand on end .. and i havent been able to comb it down ever since!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always loved the song by the kinks, You really got me...but when I heard eddie do it.  It blew my mind.  Then i heard everything that eddie did and went...wow.  I will never be that good but it does entertain me to try.  I really found peace and stress relief when I pick up my acoustic and play for a bit.  I love to just strum and play.  I know that my wife loves it when I have certain songs just for her, even though it is pretty bad singing but it makes her laugh and it is for her.

I always loved the song by the kinks, You really got me...but when I heard eddie do it.  It blew my mind.  Then i heard everything that eddie did and went...wow.  I will never be that good but it does entertain me to try.  I really found peace and stress relief when I pick up my acoustic and play for a bit.  I love to just strum and play.  I know that my wife loves it when I have certain songs just for her, even though it is pretty bad singing but it makes her laugh and it is for her.

• Like 1

Muse's Knights Of Cydonia. Idk it instantly impressed me with its musical and tonal variety. Plus the last 1 and a half minute riff is freakin badass!

My CDLC ! 

I usually release about 2 CDLC a month, because I like to take my time and make them as good as I can for the benefit of everyone interested in them ;)