Can you name the song that piqued your interest in guitar?

devindog23

I'm not sure I could pinpoint the precise song, as I've been trying to learn guitar off and on for about 10 years.

I know that on my most recent attempt (and the attempt that final made it stick) was probably due to listening to bands like Protest the Hero and being blown away by the technical ability on show. That and a renewed love of SRV

Slash (well Guns N Roses), but can't remember whether it was Sweet Child o' MIne or November Rain that orginally made me want to play. Admittedly I did only half heartedly learn back then, when i wanted to start to play properly again before xmas it wasn't an artist that made me want to do it, it was seeing my boyfriend playing, just made me want to learn again.

• Like 2

I got to say it was mostly the the solo from Californication for me too. Got the Californication album when it came out and I was in the 8th grade at the time. Soon after I got my first guitar. It was a fender telecaster and played it all the time. Especially that beloved solo.

• Like 1

Always check and use -> The latest Toolkit builds

To disable dynamic difficulty and not get the 100% accuracy bug don't use the override to max option, but instead disable DD and set sight reading level to Max. With this configuration the 100% bug does not surface.

Well probably i'm the big exception in that topic.

Because there was never a song for me where i would say. Yeah i can do it.

For me was it more the fact, that my dad has an old guitar which he played in his youth ages.

I never play it really only picking some strings nothing else (age of 4-10).

Later i got psychological problems in young age of 12 and after 7 years i figure out that the

sound of a guitar chilled me down and stuff like that. So i bought my first

accustic guitar with 19 (very cheap second hand) and playing around.

Now im 26 and it still works for me and helps me. So i had to admit i never was into it to really learn the guitar and bass.

But i like/love to play it because of psychological reasons.

Cheers guys

Well i'm only 17, but i grew up on metal bands like Irons maiden, Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth etc etc. Then when i was around 10 i started listening to stuff like Slipknot and Korn. So if i had to pick one song that blew my mind and made me want to because a guitar player... I think it has to be Hanger 18 by Megadeth. When i was 8 the guitar riffs in that just made my ears cry with joy.

• Like 2

Check out my Slipknot Discography Project for all your Slipknot needs!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bass player, but it wasn't any 1 song.  I loved the bass and always wanted to play, but never had a chance to play one until a friend of mine brought one to a party.  I asked to borrow it and gave it back 6 months later when I bought my own.  I didn't really start with the idea of learning to play.  I just started playing and I couldn't put it down.  Some of the first influential songs were 18 and Life, Tom Sawyer (up to 99.5 on that one now - just 1 or 2 pesky notes), Mista Bone, Enter Sandman, and a bunch of others.

• Like 2

When I first heard the intro to Spirit of Radio by Rush, I became an instant Rush fan.

5 months later, when I saw a friends brother play 2112 in it's entirety I was hooked!!! 

bought a cheap guitar and proceeded to ruin my all my vinyl learning songs.    

this is soo much easier !!  LOL 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I was a child I have seen on TV JIMI HENDRIX (I do not know all songs names, but it was just fragment of a concert so few songs indeed). I was just smashed by this.

Probably the song which impressed me the most was "Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing" from this concert on TV, because I remember this one :D :D

But to buy the electric guitar: it was inspired the most by Buckethead "Soothsayer" :) :)

Computer Blue, back when Purple Rain came out, which is why the video in my sig is so emotionally significant for me.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

ummm, a song ? Not so sure it was a SONG that made me want to play, my best friend down the street had a guitar and showed me the main riff for Smoke On The Water,, a few months later I bought a guitar and took a few lessons,, I want to say Purple Haze was the first SONG I wanted to learn,, I've never got past a very basic playing of that song. After that ,, Wasted Years by Iron Maiden,, and now the list goes on and on of songs I want to learn. And now that I'm charting some on the side , I tend to make songs I would like to learn.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

• 1 month later...

Well, I would say for me it's not a song but a band: Warlock feat. Doro Pesch.

Songs like

, Kiss of Death,
... keep sending shivers down my spine every time I hear them B)

But I also remember listening a whole summer mid of the 80s to Molly Hatchet's album The Deed is Done, featuring songs like

, Man on the run, Backstabber and Stone in your heart.

These would all make great CDLCs - I hope I'll master the process of creating them myself so I won't have to rely on some of you guys to do it... :rolleyes:

Today, almost some 30 years later, I love listening to Progressive stuff like Dream Theater and Vanden Plas, Thrash Metal like Annihilator (Jeff is the Greatest!) and Forbidden, and the Usual Suspects like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Slayer, Iced Earth, you name it... :twisted:

I am also a huge adorer of Pink Floyd. Period.

Not really a song...

The Red Hot Chili Peppers gave me the interest in guitar playing. And If I had to be more precise, I'd said the "Sex blood sugar and magic" album, and to be more precise the "suck my kiss" song.

To be honest, at this time, I was thinking that the Fleas's main riff of suck my kiss was played buy a guitar lol...

I should have bought a bass AH, AH!!!

• Like 1

Zoom, by Fat Larry's Band. It's still my all time favourite song but the bass line in it is just lovely, like a heartbeat and it generally just makes me feel happy to hear it :).  When I was a kid though, I decided to get a guitar (no idea why the bass never crossed my mind back then when purchasing a guitar o.O.) but I'd have to say, Dreamline by Rush from the Roll the Bones album. It's fecking amazing! It's massively atmospheric that tune, made me feel like I was outside in the cold night, escaping a filthy town of stray dogs and smog. The rhythm makes it a great track to run to and the lyrics so descriptive, when I first heard it I felt like I was reading an epic novel, and didn't put the album down for at least a year. I still have the copy I recorded off of my friend Andy's (Thanks Andy for introducing me to the most amazing band on the planet, wherever you are! ) original cassette ... not sure it is still playable, it has wine on it :)

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

• 4 weeks later...

It wasn't one song in particular but I can remember listening to Wish You Were Here and Abbey Road as a kid and thinking "maybe I should listen to more stuff like this, maybe music is always THAT perfect". We had some really great music at home back in the days and sure enough this is where I got my love for music

• Like 1

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list