Can't start Rocksmith 2014

fearabsence

Question

Hi,

When I tried starting Rocksmith 2014 today i got a window that said it was updating. After like 5 seconds it said the game was ready. When I then clicked start I got a popup that said "An error occured while updating Rocksmith 2014 Edition Remastered (missing executable)". I followed the link and did all the steps (except reinstall steam, I have a lot of games installed), but none of them work. 

When I uninstalled Rocksmith and installed it again, I saw when installing it that it only needs 116MB, which can't be right. 

I have no idea what to do, I really want to continue playing this game, I have over 1200 hours put in to it.

I've created a ticket with Steam but you how long that can take, I was just wondering if some of you have encountered something similar, or if its maybe some faulty update.

• Like 1

19 answers to this question

There was a small update when I tried to start RS and after that Steam said that the exe was missing from steamapps... and no kidding it really was.

I did a backup of my DLC and 22160 folders and uninstalled the game... But now I can't even download the game from Steam anymore. When I did try to redownload the game it just says that Steam has finished downloading the game, like instanlty but nothing really happens. The install folder is completely empty.

EDIT:  

As fearabscence said this seems to be a common problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221680/discussions/0/1779388024833320881/

• Like 1

Probably I have the same problem... I bought DLC and installed it. Steam probably download uptade and destroy my game. Now when I want to run the game I see this message: "An error occured while updating Rocksmith@ 2014 Edition (Remastered) - (missing executable)". I can't see executable file Rocksmith.exe in the game folder...Thanks Ubicrap :angry:

same here.

just deleted download cache like adviced from steam, and now it's downloading something that will take half an hour.

it says it's an update, but it's fishy, too much time.

but i can't be sure, thanks to my crappy connession.

maybe re-installing the entire game?

hope this issue will not freak up all the CDLC again, i was just fixing them all with the latest CFSM version...

There was a small update when I tried to start RS and after that Steam said that the exe was missing from steamapps... and no kidding it really was.

I did a backup of my DLC and 22160 folders and uninstalled the game... But now I can't even download the game from Steam anymore. When I did try to redownload the game it just says that Steam has finished downloading the game, like instanlty but nothing really happens. The install folder is completely empty.

EDIT:  

As fearabscence said this seems to be a common problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/221680/discussions/0/1779388024833320881/

I like that you found the thread I started, haha.

And yeah, seems like they're aware.

https://twitter.com/Rocksmithgame/status/1092868269197807616 

@@Borgf15 How to play in offline if update was not completely downloaded or paused:

• Close steam (It stores the manifest data in memory, so it must be closed)
  • Make backups of your already downloaded update files in the ./SteamApps/downloading/ folder and a backup of your manifest for the game. The manifest number is easy to figure out, the stuff in ./SteamApps/downloading/ has the manifest number of the game being updated in the file names.
  • Delete the files in /downloading/ pertaining the game in question (not 100% sure you have to do this).
  • In your manifest, set bytesdownloaded and bytesuploaded to 0. Set the state to 4 (will be 1030 during update) and set the updateresult to 0 (might already be 0, but if you paused the update, it will be 4).
  • Make sure your computer is offline (unplug lan, wifi in airplane mode) or otherwise ensure steam will not connect to the internet.
  • Still offline, launch the game and let steam warn you about starting in offline mode.
  • As long as steam remains in offline mode, it is safe to reconnect to the internet
  • If you get errors about invalid platform when launching the game, you'll need to restart your computer
  • Like 2

• Administrator

Everything is back up to normal.

As a reminder, Mac user will have to re-apply the patch.

PC user have nothing to do but let steam download the game again.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@Borgf15 How to play in offline if update was not completely downloaded or paused:

• Close steam (It stores the manifest data in memory, so it must be closed)
  • Make backups of your already downloaded update files in the ./SteamApps/downloading/ folder and a backup of your manifest for the game. The manifest number is easy to figure out, the stuff in ./SteamApps/downloading/ has the manifest number of the game being updated in the file names.
  • Delete the files in /downloading/ pertaining the game in question (not 100% sure you have to do this).
  • In your manifest, set bytesdownloaded and bytesuploaded to 0. Set the state to 4 (will be 1030 during update) and set the updateresult to 0 (might already be 0, but if you paused the update, it will be 4).
  • Make sure your computer is offline (unplug lan, wifi in airplane mode) or otherwise ensure steam will not connect to the internet.
  • Still offline, launch the game and let steam warn you about starting in offline mode.
  • As long as steam remains in offline mode, it is safe to reconnect to the internet
  • If you get errors about invalid platform when launching the game, you'll need to restart your computer

Thanks!  I assume since I haven't started the game in a couple days I can simply disconnect from the internet, and then run steam in offline mode...avoiding most of the steps you outlined?  I think I'd like to avoid updating for a few days to see how this plays out...

Thanks!  I assume since I haven't started the game in a couple days I can simply disconnect from the internet, and then run steam in offline mode...avoiding most of the steps you outlined?  I think I'd like to avoid updating for a few days to see how this plays out...

Yep, if game not started updating it should just work in offline

The fix for this update was (just like with previous) to roll back to old version.
 - if you didn't started update before this, updating game now will give you 0b patch and nothing will change;
 - if you downloaded last update, updating game now may force you to redownload full game (6+Gb), so if you have a metered connection or just slow internet and want to play the game and not wait multiple hours for update, then you can use the guide posted above.

edit: Actually, nevermind, if you downloaded last update your only option now is to update game again, and if you are on a metered/slow internet you are just fucked.
And since ubisoft screwed up 2 out of last 2 updates and even a good update can break stuff (cdlc, no cable launcher, etc.) here are some tips for the future:
 - disable auto-updates for rocksmith
 - if you see rocksmith updating immediately pause the update
 - try to find something about update on the internet before updating Rocksmith

• Administrator

@@theSG Except that there's an update every week for each new DLC added, so out of all those 50 or so update every year for the past 6, there has been maybe 3 issue.

Yes this is a problem for those with slow internet connection.

Also we don't know if it's an issue from Steam or Ubisoft and shit happen. It's people behind all of this and mistake will happen once in a while but they also were able to fix it in 2 hours.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity