Charting and Note Spacing

dalenichol

Question

Hey guys, looking for a little bit of advice here.

I've been trying to make a little foray into creating my own custom songs for Rocksmith but I'm struggling and in need of some advice. When I'm importing the guitar pro tab for whichever file I choose to try, the spaces between the notes seems to be all over the place, regardless of the bpm I've set for the track.

I've watched a couple of videos that have been posted here, but they never seem to have this issue and everything seems to line up fine.

Is it just a case of messing with the bpm until I find something that fits? That gives me another question...what is the best way of determening bpm?

For example, I was trying to make the Biffy Clyro song 'Justboy'. The GP tab has the bpm at 110 (and when played through GP it's fine) but if I set that bpm on EoF, it's way off.

Maybe I'm out of my depth, as Im still only a beginner guitarist anyway, but I'm more than a little confused just now

Forget about the GP tempo.

Instead, after you've created the new file:

1. Add leading silence.

2. Estimate BPM.

3. Set time signature.

4. Display audio waveform.

5. Drag the first beat marker to line up with the start of the audio waveform.

6. Save -- this prompts EOF to fill in the measures. Usually it adds two measures -- the measure lined up with the audio waveform will become measure #3.

(You may need to drag measure #3 to line up with the start of the audio waveform again.)

7. Now set your beat map. this means you'll be lining up the beats to match the audio. It's easiest to line up beats to the snare drum, because it's easy to identify this in the waveform. I've found EOF's BPM estimator to be fairly accurate, so the beats won't be too far off. But unless the drum track is a drum machine (or synced in the studio), the BPM will vary. So you MUST create the beatmap for the song.

Once you've got the beatmap set, go back to the beginning of the song. Position the cursor -- use the page down function to line it up -- at the beat where the part you're importing begins.

Choose the track you want to import, say "no" to keeping GP's tempo. You can say yes to the sections/phrases if you think they're accurate. But they're not always and it's easy enough to add your own anyway, so I usually say no.

When you import, the notes should now line up perfectly with the beatmap.

However, it can happen that the file doesn't import correctly -- I've had it where the notes end up before the first beat of the song. If this happens:

Select-all and copy. Delete all the notes. Reposition the cursor at the appropriate beat/measure and paste.

This should work.

• Like 1

I think there could definitely be an issue with some tabs/gp files. 

I tried the above method for Justboy and had all of the same little nagging issues with the note spacing and whatever, no matter what I changed. Decided to try something else and began work on some New Found Glory and the bass has synced up with minmal effort, so that's something.

Thanks again!

dale,

When you give "Justboy" another try, try using Sonic Visualizer. I can't recommend this program enough. 

Here is a link to the tutorial:

http://customsforge.com/topic/2393-how-to-get-beat-map/

I promise just try it once and you'll see how easy it is to use. I use this method before I try the above methods. 

I used to try to stick to songs that were recorded to a metronome (Satriani's Not of This Earth, for example), and then I tried Go Play Along, and now I can chart pretty much anything with comparatively minimal effort. I highly recommend downloading the trial (try it on an easier song just get the hang of it).

I paid the $20 for the full version within 5 or 10 minutes of downloading the program, and as soon as I did, I synced like 5 songs I'd had problems with in 1 afternoon, including Kuso Breakin' Nou Breakin' Lily, which has like 3 or 4 drastic tempo changes.

It's completely changed how and what I can chart, cos I never could get the hang of dragging beat markers. I actually always have like 3 or 4 songs in reserve that only need tones added (Nobody do "Computer Blue", ok!?) , cos I can work sooooo fast with this program, as long as I have good tabs.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I've seen quite a few people talk about this Go Play Along. I'll look into that too, as beat markers are annoying as hell :P

I keep moving them and messing up the BPM of songs 

I'm like 1000% more productive with GPA (and now Ultrastar Creator!), and I'm never worried about losing my work or having to start over anymore, because the vast amount of the grunt work (rather than the creative aspect, like tones and which guitar parts to use) only takes a couple minutes now. It makes it so much more relaxing and enjoyable now, knowing that you're not a couple of mistakes away from ruining hours of work.

I'm working on Prince's Computer Blue right now, and even though it's got tempo changes and 19 tracks of Guitar Pro instruments (most of which are guitar/bass), my biggest concern is the guitar sounds.....which is just so nice.

If I had some way of automating Wwise, I would be a one-man, fun-having, assembly line of customs.

• Like 1

- Billkwando

:D

I just charted and synced Justboy by biffy, which I'd been having loads of problems with, in about 5 minutes flat. 

For some reason, it didn't play in Rocksmith, but that's another problem for another day. Worst parts over! :D

Was this with GPA? Sure sounds like it! :D

Edit: About the not playing, did you get the amps and blank wall, or the suddenly missing thumbnail and no sound?

- Billkwando

In my experience with amps+wall, all you have to do is generate the psarc again and it usually works. That's why I always check bass and guitar after every revision, cos amps+wall can strike either one.....like a ninja!

• Like 1

- Billkwando

For section, just do a shift S before every unique song chunk (or just one every 4 or 10 measures or whatever) and just keep choosing Intro if you're in a hurry. The dynamic difficulty creator (dd tab in toolkit) will make the phrases for you. You just need the sections so folks have chunks to select in riff repeater.

• Like 1

- Billkwando

Awesome, thanks.

I'm gonna try the psarc creation again now and see what happens. Working tonight, but hopefully I'm now fully equipped to begin doing proper charting on my day off tomorrow.

Cheers!

Good luck, and post back if you have any issues! BTW, blank thumbnail and no sound happens sometimes if you paste a new psarc into the game folder while the game is running. Usually just shutting down the game and repaste-ing is all it takes.

Once I had a particularly persistent "song won't play" issue, and all I had to do was go back to the original file in EoF and simply load it and save it again.... like something went wrong with the save the first time or something. It's never, in my experience, an issue with the files created by the DD tab...on the rare occasion something goes wrong, it's with what you're feeding into it.

Note for new GPA users:

After finishing your first sync and hitting "finish", to use the file you have to go back to the Library (song list) in GPA, then do "export track" which will output a new XML and GP file to a new time stamped folder in your "My Documents"...and I believe all the folders start with the word "Library", if you're having a hard time finding it.

I think you can import either the xml or the gp file into EoF, but I've only done the xml so far.

- Billkwando

You'll need to select the XML file for import. If you directly import the Guitar Pro file in EOF, it won't import any of the synchronization from the XML file.

Excellent, good to know!

- Billkwando

Thanks again guys.

I done the process again and got the song working...kinda.

The song started about 20 seconds further than where it should have and then proceeded to crash after about 30 seconds of playtime.

Not quite sure what happened, but it could have been something I done during the EoF process, it was pretty rushed as I didn't have much time before work.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll take a bit more time and get it to work properly

Thanks again guys.

I done the process again and got the song working...kinda.

The song started about 20 seconds further than where it should have and then proceeded to crash after about 30 seconds of playtime.

Not quite sure what happened, but it could have been something I done during the EoF process, it was pretty rushed as I didn't have much time before work.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll take a bit more time and get it to work properly

It sounds like you might tried to import it on top of an existing project, It's usually best to move your tones elsewhere and wipe out the whole folder. If that wasn't it then there's definitely more to look into.

- Billkwando

I tried it again, and this time it just sat at the note highway...tried it again and it done the same thing :P So frustrating.

I'm going to take a step back from that particular song, start fresh with another track and see where we go from there.

edit:

Changed songs and went with Turisas - Rasputin. Done a basic sync and everything seems to work fine to the point where it will load and play completely within Rocksmith (YAY!)

However-: I've noticed that there are parts where the timing is slightly out and I forgot to add a leading silence (I'm sure I did, but w/e)  So my question is, if I go back into GPA and fix the sync issues, I'll then need to go back into EOF to rectify the issues and add a leading silence.

Am I best, in that case, just to start from scratch and redo the wwise stage too? EoF seems a bit clunkly when it comes to reloading past projects

Reloading past projects is never a problem, EOF will close the project that is open and load the contents of the selected file. If you mean loading a past GPA project, it replaces the beat timings with the information in the XML file, and if you aren't using the exact same audio file in both EOF and Go PlayAlong (including leading silence that was added), it will complicate things.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't add leading silence to my customs until I'm almost done now, rather than messing with the audio file. I just add the silence and then ignore all the warnings about midi and inserting empty measures, and just leave the leading silence completely blank. That way, my measures stay where I put them. It's never been a problem for me in RS2014. I couldn't speak for RS1.

For your timing issues, I still can't help but think something went wrong while you were synching it. Again, do you have the metronome on? Also, are you placing your GPA markers at the peaks of the waveform? I don't know if that's right, but I found that's what works best for me....just sticking it right there in the middle.

<|>

(that's my waveform spike with the marker in the middle, lol)

dalenichol, on 24 Apr 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

I tried it again, and this time it just sat at the note highway...tried it again and it done the same thing [ :P] So frustrating.

Did you try going back into EoF and resaving the file? I don't know if I've ever had it freak out once I got past the amps & wall.

• Like 1

- Billkwando

@@Billkwando What does that look like in Rocksmith (no bars/measures in the leading silence)? Is it just blank until the notes begin?

One argument for adding the bars and measures is that it allows the metronome count-in. But since that's pretty buggy (it only seems to work on the first run-through of a song, after that it stops), I suppose it isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

@@Billkwando What does that look like in Rocksmith (no bars/measures in the leading silence)? Is it just blank until the notes begin?

One argument for adding the bars and measures is that it allows the metronome count-in. But since that's pretty buggy (it only seems to work on the first run-through of a song, after that it stops), I suppose it isn't a big deal.

It just looks normal. In EoF, of course, it looks like a long black box before the first measure. ;)

Here's video of one of mine that was done that way, with GPA. Man I love this song.

http://customsforge.com/videos/view-191-maximum-the-hormone-kuso-breakin-nou-breakin-lily-rs2014-custom-bass/

(I just made the custom, not the video)

- Billkwando