Modding Xbox360, Where and How?

Mrbeefy1974

Question

I have an Xbox360 and am playing RS2014 and want to use the CDLC made by these wonderful people in our community, but as I understand I have to have my Xbox Modded, I'm assuming it needs a physical chip installed, now the question is where or who does this kind of work? Does anybody live in the Greater Vancouver Area of British Columbia Canada that can help me out? Plus there needs to be more Foo Fighters!!!

Thanks,

I love you all.

15 answers to this question

There are a couple ways to mod a 360. A softmod is one of the easier/cheaper methods however it won't help in this instance. A softmod is just a method of flashing the DVD drive to allow it to recognize back up copies of games you own. There is also a (somewhat) new method of being able to essential JTag your console exploiting a reset glitch hack. I haven't checked the parts for this in a couple years but, if memory serve correct it did require some soldering and trace cutting skills. This is the route you want to go as it allows roms to be booted from an external harddrive. There is also an item called the xkey which uses the RGH but doesn't require major modifications. I really do not know much about the xkey haven't taken the time to do the research as I've been lead to believe it's expensive and I do my own mods so it's really of no benefit to me. For more info on this I would check out team-xecuter.com, jungleflasher.net and c4evaspeaks.com. There are a lot of resources and info between those.

Keep in mind once you mod going on xbox live is playing with fire especially with a jtag style mod. Also never update your console till you check the sites and are sure its safe to do so.

You have to be quite technically experienced. It is no easy task. It will require you to buy parts and a lot of time (hours and hours). You will not be able to play on Xbox live either unless a new method has come out since I last did my research.

My recommendation would be to buy one that is already modded. I would check craigslist and I think eBay has some too. However, it would be cheaper to just buy the PC version then to buy the parts or another Xbox (again, unless it had changed since my last research). I believe the the pc version is on sale right now for $30 on the origin store so if you already have the real tone cable then that is what I would do.

• Like 1

Nobody asked for my opinion, but I do my "serious" playing on the 360 version ("career", lessons etc), and I use the PC version for customs playing only. Actually if you look at my avatar you can see my 360 copy there.

I also bought a 2nd real tone cable, and put a loop of blue masking tape around the cord where it enters the plug. I keep that one plugged into my PC and the unmarked one plugged into my 360, so when I pick a plug up off the floor I know where it's connected.

And added bonus is if you wanna play 2 player, you already have a 2nd cable around.

Of course, my computer is set up with my plasma TV as a 2nd monitor, so it's not gonna be practical for you if you don't like playing games on your PC.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

You have to be quite technically experienced. It is no easy task. It will require you to buy parts and a lot of time (hours and hours). You will not be able to play on Xbox live either unless a new method has come out since I last did my research.My recommendation would be to buy one that is already modded. I would check craigslist and I think eBay has some too. However, it would be cheaper to just buy the PC version then to buy the parts or another Xbox (again, unless it had changed since my last research). I believe the the pc version is on sale right now for $30 on the origin store so if you already have the real tone cable then that is what I would do.

Purchasing a pre-mod isn't a bad idea. Only major issue is occasionally ms put's out an update that closes the loop hole and then you have to update the cfw which not always but usually requires you to re-flash it. It has been about three years since an update has caused this to happen and with the one out now chances are high that ms gave up on the 360 fight but, it could happen.

If you feel you aren't up to the task I would look into the Xkey. Unlike the others it isn't an internal mod so I would imagine you could update the xkey directly if/when needed

I am not positive but I am pretty sure the xkey is just for backups and will not let you do customs. I haven't used it though.I agree that it is unlikely Microsoft will be doing any major update but I would not be surprised if they did.

You might be right I haven't used it myself nor had the need to. Only reason I think it allows booting from a hdd is because you aren't flashing the drive like a traditional mod. Ever since they introduced a new way to jtag I've been tempted but I already have so much media that idk if the extra cost for parts is worth it.

Hey, everyone....new guy here!

What have my fellow xbox users decide ultimately...to mod or buy a gaming PC?  Upon reading what's involved, not sure if it's worth all the trouble to mod n safeguard.

On a side, what's a decent gaming PC....any recommendations?

Thanks!

What have my fellow xbox users decide ultimately...to mod or buy a gaming PC?  Upon reading what's involved, not sure if it's worth all the trouble to mod n safeguard.

Thanks!

Getting a gaming PC isn't worth it just for rocksmith, but if you have the cash, a PC is definitely worth it, I recommend building it yourself, it's a lot of fun, I learnt a lot and I can pick exactly what parts I want. :)

• Like 1

Thanks!

Getting a gaming PC isn't worth it just for rocksmith, but if you have the cash, a PC is definitely worth it, I recommend building it yourself, it's a lot of fun, I learnt a lot and I can pick exactly what parts I want. :)

Just at the end of my patience with xbox and most games are released in PC format anyway.  Like I dropped Sony, I have no hesitation dropping xbox. 

Build one???  hmmm.....if you had a DIY build, did it cost much compared to buying one off shelf?

Thanks!

Just at the end of my patience with xbox and most games are released in PC format anyway.  Like I dropped Sony, I have no hesitation dropping xbox. 

Build one???  hmmm.....if you had a DIY build, did it cost much compared to buying one off shelf?

It cost a lot less, since you would be paying for assembly, there are a lot of good walkthroughs, I used neweggs one.

Thanks!

It cost a lot less, since you would be paying for assembly, there are a lot of good walkthroughs, I used neweggs one.

You can build something pretty great for much cheaper then a manufactured PC. Putting it together is such a simple task that my 6 yoa could do it. Newegg and amazon are good but, if you have a microcenter or frys near you they are probably the best place to go. Microcenter almost always has a bundle deal where if you buy a cpu you get $40-60 off a mobo. When i did my last build I cross checked everything with amazon and newegg. Some items I bought off the web but, the cpu/mobo combo on top of their regular sales prices just could not be beat even after all the ridiculous CA tax. The only thing you have to be careful with is mounting the cpu to the motherboard. Just make sure you put it on the correct way or you will bend pins and be hosed. If you're worried about doing that part yourself pretty sure micro and frys will mount for free if you buy from them. It isn't difficult by any means you just have to pay attention.

• Like 1

I watched a couple youtube videos before I installed my i3 and it worked out just fine.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here