Ringing in your ears?

noahfence

Question

<soapbox>

I hate to sound like a pussy, but please - wear earplugs when gigging.  There is no cure, and no hope.  Now, you can obviously get Tinnitus from things aside from concerts but that's a big contributor.

Mine's pretty severe.  Ambient noise needs to be over 95 decibles in order for me to not hear the ringing. Sleep is a joke, silence forever gone.  If your ears aren't ringing forever already, take measures to try to ensure it doesn't.

</soapbox>

• Like 5

14 answers to this question

My ears started ringing in the army with all the guns and mortars going off, it sucked to realize that you're stuck with it for your life. Mine isn't as bad I guess, I mostly don't notice it during everyday life, but sleeping can be a pain sometimes, especially when I'm stressed.

I've had tinnitus for the last 10 years or so. For me, it's a jaw misalignment problem (the jaw backed up against the nerves in my ear, probably while singing-- and I was wearing earplugs at the time, but they weren't the fitted kind, I think they might actually have caused it). For a while it was pretty bad, but a trip to an osteopath helped a lot. But mine isn't too bad, I live quite easily with it. And my hearing's normal otherwise.

I was almost deaf two years ago. I have(had?) Otosklerosis, which means the sound wasn't transmitted properly to the inner ear which itself was fine for the most part. I needed a hearing aid to even be able to take part in conversations, and even that didn't help all the time. I always loved music and this was a huge problem for me of course. Buuuut luckily, I learned that this condition could be fixed by an operation! So I had surgery twice (six months apart) on both ears, and they took out the smallest bone you find in a human body and replaced it with a titanium prosthesis. Took a while, but my hearing went back to almost 100% after that.

Before the operation I not only had tinnitus but also some other strange sound in the right ear that sounded as if I heard my own blood flow through the ear, and real loud. I still have tinnitus, but given what it was like before with the near-deafness and that other noise, I find it quite sufferable. I can just ignore it most of the time, it's only when I actually think of it that I even notice it.

Still, when I see people exposed to loud sounds not wearing protection, it makes me a bit angry. Here's someone with fine hearing who's just risking deafness for no good reason. I mean, yeah, tinnitus is one possible outcome of loud noise, but you can also just go deaf. And if your inner ear goes deaf, there's absolutely no way to fix it. Then you are fucked for the rest of your life. Never ever forget that. Protect yourself. Always.

Too late for me, my hearing is well and truly fucked lol.

I worked in a biker's pub for over 10 years. They had bands playing 3 nights per week and when there weren't any bands on the jukebox was turned up to 11. And if that wasn't bad enough I was also in a couple of bands around that time too. I was working behind the bar for anywhere between 40 and 60 hours per week and had an hour or two per week in a rehearsal studio plus the odd gig here and there.

As a result of all that I'm slightly deaf in my left ear and have tinnitus in both and when watching the telly I need to have subtitles on or the volume turned up, and also lip read when talking to people.

But that's all a part of rock 'n' roll imo lol  :mrgreen:

• Like 1

I have Tinnitus for around 10 years now. It started sometime while I was playing WOW with headphone and drinking beer. It never stopped.

Luckily it's not that loud and at least now I am never alone ;)

Hi btw, my first Post. I used to be at Smithys Anvil only it took a while for me to come here ;)

Wow, that's a lot of people having problems with Tinnitus. Suffering myself, I can't stress this enough: watch your volumes! Especially with in-ear buds and headphones. Yeah, it's cool if the other people on the sub can hear how hardcore you are listening to Skrillex early in the morning, but sooner or later it'll come back to you and it's gonna suck big time. 

Small stakes leave you with the minimal blues

Wow, that's a lot of people having problems with Tinnitus. Suffering myself, I can't stress this enough: watch your volumes! Especially with in-ear buds and headphones. Yeah, it's cool if the other people on the sub can hear how hardcore you are listening to Skrillex early in the morning, but sooner or later it'll come back to you and it's gonna suck big time. 

Luckily for me I am just not this hardcore.

\m/(><)\m/

'99 Fender Stratocaster / '12 Gibson SG (Nothing special but they are mine)

"If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you're fooling yourself. That's like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn't eat him."

I once woke up from a nightmare, with a tinnitus in my ears. It never stoped since then. The first time was the toughest time of my life. Especially the doom loop was devastating, where fear and anger even strengthened the effect. Several nights in a row without any sleep, right before the final exams. Other problems seem soo petty in such a moment.

Fortunately acceptance brought salvation eventually. Just ignoring it did the trick for me, now sometimes days pass without me even being aware of it.

So don't give up hope, even if it seems really really bad, it can work out eventually.

I don't even have any problems with sleep anymore :)

Oh great thread, now I will hear the ringing in my ears for the next couple of days.  I was born with it.  I never really noticed until my parents took me in for a hearing check.  The put your hand up when you hear a noise was a bit ineffective for me as I would keep my hand up.  I usually have a fan or white noise generator going to break the silence and help me sleep.  I hear people better when I can see their lips, not that I can read lips.  I generally try to stay away from loud noises.  This past 4th of July, my wife found a spot near the stage to listen to the band.  I spent the night turned sideways with a finger in one ear as I didn't think to bring my earplugs.

I tried listening to white noise but it didn't help for some reason so used to listen to the radio instead to drown out the bloomin thing. I'm on medication at the moment which makes me drowsy so I just take it and watch Netflix on my Wii U GamePad until I drop off.